Standard suspension

Ed209

Has anyone got standard suspension and what do you think of it, I'm on yellowspeed and considering going back as I use it on rough b roads as a daily

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I was on standard suspension up until a week ago and changed to Mugen Showa but I'm contemplating going to the Yellowspeed. The OEM are pretty crashy mate tbh, not a very nice ride and they lack feedback when attacking any bends or roads at speed. I'd stick to your Yellowspeeds tbh, can you not make the setup a little softer no? Is it the track ones you're running?

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

ste01

Advanced Member
I've got full stock set up, had it on both my DC5s. I'd say the facelift is slightly better on our roads but not much in it. I think it's a decent set up tbh, never felt the need to change it. It's got a high enough ride height to stop me wrecking my bumper on speed bumps and things and I don't find it particularly crashy. It seems basically the same as any other car with low profile tyres and a firmer "sports" suspension type. My mates E class with AMG suspension/alloys etc is more crashy which surprised me.

Crazylegs, have you ever ran full OEM? As far as I remember you've always had lowering springs or teins/showas. I always found lowering springs shit on any car which is why I haven't fitted any on my Integras

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Found the oem with eibach lowering springs spot on! Performs well on track,and if you are aware you bought a sports car and not a comfort car, they ride quite well!

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I was on standard suspension up until a week ago and changed to Mugen Showa but I'm contemplating going to the Yellowspeed. The OEM are pretty crashy mate tbh, not a very nice ride and they lack feedback when attacking any bends or roads at speed. I'd stick to your Yellowspeeds tbh, can you not make the setup a little softer no? Is it the track ones you're running?

Probably a bit unfair to give people advice on the oem set up when you are unsure on the issues with yours!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Probably a bit unfair to give people advice on the oem set up when you are unsure on the issues with yours!
Not really, I've had OEM on this and the last Teg I had. They're too crashy for me personally but we have very poor roads around here. Something I noticed with the OEM dampers is that the car moves around a lot, feels like it's floating. I'm not having much luck with owning these cars am I ha ha!

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Not really, I've had OEM on this and the last Teg I had. They're too crashy for me personally but we have very poor roads around here. Something I noticed with the OEM dampers is that the car moves around a lot, feels like it's floating. I'm not having much luck with owning these cars am I ha ha!

Yet you want yellowspeeds lol?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
I've got full stock set up, had it on both my DC5s. I'd say the facelift is slightly better on our roads but not much in it. I think it's a decent set up tbh, never felt the need to change it. It's got a high enough ride height to stop me wrecking my bumper on speed bumps and things and I don't find it particularly crashy. It seems basically the same as any other car with low profile tyres and a firmer "sports" suspension type. My mates E class with AMG suspension/alloys etc is more crashy which surprised me.

Crazylegs, have you ever ran full OEM? As far as I remember you've always had lowering springs or teins/showas. I always found lowering springs excrement on any car which is why I haven't fitted any on my Integras
I've never had OEM springs, my first one came with Tein coilovers but one shock was knackered and Tein wanted about £400 to repair it so I told them to piss off and ended up getting a full OEM setup with Eibach springs, again didn't like them as they felt soft. Mind you there was an occasion on the EVO triangle on a run with the DC5 lads and it felt great when pushed hard, probably the best either of my Tegs have felt but general day to day they felt too soft.

I've never ran a full OEM setup though so don't know what they'd be like really. What I'm looking for in a suspension is something comfortable but makes the car feel as though it doesn't budge, I maintain that I find the DC5 a large heavy car which it obviously isn't now compared to modern stuff but I've grown up driving light cars, 205 GTI, 306 GTI6, 2 CRX's and all had superior handling to the Integra but they are all lighter, well at least they felt lighter.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Yet you want yellowspeeds lol?

Not sure, concerned they'll be too hard for me and my needs. Limited to choice really.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ste01 said:

Crazylegs, have you ever ran full OEM? As far as I remember you've always had lowering springs or teins/showas. I always found lowering springs excrement on any car which is why I haven't fitted any on my Integras
Don't suppose you can do me a favour and measure your ride height? Centre of wheel to arch, front and rear?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ste01

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Don't suppose you can do me a favour and measure your ride height? Centre of wheel to arch, front and rear?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I will, but I'm away so it'll be Tuesday when I can do it

Mebz

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Not sure, concerned they'll be too hard for me and my needs. Limited to choice really.

Have a word with stevie, may be go for his ycw coilovers, custom made for your needs.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yellowspeed as has been said many times are Taiwanese made and so cost to manufacture per corner is cheap as the quality is poor. Many on here have them as they are cheap but you will sacrifice quality and durability.

I would avoid any cheap coilovers. bilstein B14 is the best road coilovers setup for road and occasional track use and many run them, but you‘ll get what you pay for.

Ask professionals like tgm who can supply all brands before buying as the likes of area will clearly promote their own items as they want the money and run them on their cars as if one breaks etc it‘s cheap and easy to replace unlike a bilstein and so on.

I ran my car on a 100% oem setup (by means of dampers, springs, bolts and arms, bushes he lot). I found the ride height was quite high, it was a little crash on some of the roads around me as they are not nice tbh and I didn‘t rally have too much confidence in the car‘s capabilities. Saying that it wasn‘t unbearable and as someone said above it was similar to some other newer cars sport suspension feel.

I then moved onto mugen dampers with spoon springs (everything else still oem) and loved it. Car drive perfectly every time, no knocks, bangs, felt smooth and capable and I got all the feel I was missing from the oem out of this setup. I did about 5 trackdays on this setup and the car performed well above my expectations and surprised a lot of people.

3 of the trackdays were done with caster correction super pro bushes applied on the front as an oem one got me an advisory on the mot and this helped me with a little feel on turn in.

I now have moved onto the Bilstein B16 PSS9‘s which have a higher spring rate and more adjustability than the B14‘s but only kisses the caster and camber adjustable top mounts you‘d gain from the likes of yellow speed. They are imo superb, they feel amazing on all road conditions so far, with these I added new topmount bearings, 2x sets of front camber bolts, hardrace rest camber arms and got a full geo and the car corner weighted.

The camber is as -2.5 front, -2 rear, toe on front is 1 degree out and rear 1 degree in. It drives like never before perfectly straight, flat and smooth and there is 0 movement under pressure and I‘m only on setting 4 and not too low. I kept as close to the mugens ride height as we could but each corners slightly diff as a part of the corner weighting process to get the car as close to 50/50 diagonal weight as possible.

I‘d personally if you opt for a decent spring damper combo over any budget cheap coilovers made in Taiwan, could even look at bilstein dampers and a spring combo if coilovers are not for you, but all depends on a cars use and needs.

If I move on from the B16‘s I‘ll be going Nirton, Ohlins or Aragosta as I nearly bought Notron topmounts for the bilsteins yesterday but tgm talked me out of it.

Sorry for the long message but I think I‘m in a pretty good position to comment as my cars been from complete oem to what it is now all through me and I‘ve used everything in every scenario from road to hard rack sessions so can explain all my findings and hates of any setup used

ollieh17

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Yellowspeed as has been said many times are Taiwanese made and so cost to manufacture per corner is cheap as the quality is poor. Many on here have them as they are cheap but you will sacrifice quality and durability.

I would avoid any cheap coilovers. bilstein B14 is the best road coilovers setup for road and occasional track use and many run them, but you‘ll get what you pay for.

Ask professionals like tgm who can supply all brands before buying as the likes of area will clearly promote their own items as they want the money and run them on their cars as if one breaks etc it‘s cheap and easy to replace unlike a bilstein and so on.

I ran my car on a 100% oem setup (by means of dampers, springs, bolts and arms, bushes he lot). I found the ride height was quite high, it was a little crash on some of the roads around me as they are not nice tbh and I didn‘t rally have too much confidence in the car‘s capabilities. Saying that it wasn‘t unbearable and as someone said above it was similar to some other newer cars sport suspension feel.

I then moved onto mugen dampers with spoon springs (everything else still oem) and loved it. Car drive perfectly every time, no knocks, bangs, felt smooth and capable and I got all the feel I was missing from the oem out of this setup. I did about 5 trackdays on this setup and the car performed well above my expectations and surprised a lot of people.

3 of the trackdays were done with caster correction super pro bushes applied on the front as an oem one got me an advisory on the mot and this helped me with a little feel on turn in.

I now have moved onto the Bilstein B16 PSS9‘s which have a higher spring rate and more adjustability than the B14‘s but only kisses the caster and camber adjustable top mounts you‘d gain from the likes of yellow speed. They are imo superb, they feel amazing on all road conditions so far, with these I added new topmount bearings, 2x sets of front camber bolts, hardrace rest camber arms and got a full geo and the car corner weighted.

The camber is as -2.5 front, -2 rear, toe on front is 1 degree out and rear 1 degree in. It drives like never before perfectly straight, flat and smooth and there is 0 movement under pressure and I‘m only on setting 4 and not too low. I kept as close to the mugens ride height as we could but each corners slightly diff as a part of the corner weighting process to get the car as close to 50/50 diagonal weight as possible.

I‘d personally if you opt for a decent spring damper combo over any budget cheap coilovers made in Taiwan, could even look at bilstein dampers and a spring combo if coilovers are not for you, but all depends on a cars use and needs.

If I move on from the B16‘s I‘ll be going Nirton, Ohlins or Aragosta as I nearly bought Notron topmounts for the bilsteins yesterday but tgm talked me out of it.

Sorry for the long message but I think I‘m in a pretty good position to comment as my cars been from complete oem to what it is now all through me and I‘ve used everything in every scenario from road to hard rack sessions so can explain all my findings and hates of any setup used
A set of yellowspeeds coilovers is more than a new pair of mugen shocks. So by that logic they are better and mugen are cheaply made? Have seen just as many rusty sets of blistein as yellowspeeds. Cost has nothing to do with how they perform.
Again the same way area want to sell yellowspeeds other companies will want to sell you the expensive coilovers with the higher profit margins! Be good to see a comparasion between blistein and yellowspeeds

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
A set of yellowspeeds coilovers is more than a new pair of mugen shocks. So by that logic they are better and mugen are cheaply made? Have seen just as many rusty sets of blistein as yellowspeeds. Cost has nothing to do with how they perform.
Again the same way area want to sell yellowspeeds other companies will want to sell you the expensive coilovers with the higher profit margins! Be good to see a comparasion between blistein and yellowspeeds

Not entirely true as you can‘t buy mugen new now and they are static fixed dampers so cannot be compared to a coilover where the r&d should have gone into so much testing and quality control and so on.

I know people who have run both and the only reason people change from bilstein is for more camber and adjustability, but why? Unless you‘re competing and actually racing too much camber can have a negative impact as you can loose mechanical grip. I‘ve been in cars on road and track running both and the bilsteins felt much better and smoother and this is simply down to the quality.

Other companies like tgm sell ALL brands and don‘t get much more profit wise as they always do people great deals. Bilsteins I‘ve yet to see a very bad example for sale secondhand whereas I‘ve seen and know people who have sold and had ys‘s which have failed in a year, started to fall apart, one‘s topmount camber setting even kept coming out of its setting point.

Generally like anything you‘ll get what you pay for but mugen dampers when they were avail new were circa £1200 (that‘s a lot for a fixed damper) and the showa were also used on the NSX-R as it‘s oem setup so that alone speaks for itself.

I‘d have a nice set of mugens and spoon springs over budget coilovers all day long and did and I‘d do it again, the guy who bought my setups loving them.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Doesn't mean he wouldn't love the yellowspeeds also. The main r and d is in the damper. The coilover body is just to suit the car. Right on camber but having caster adjustability like the area ones is beneficial.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Doesn't mean he wouldn't love the yellowspeeds also. The main r and d is in the damper. The coilover body is just to suit the car. Right on camber but having caster adjustability like the area ones is beneficial.

I agree he could but it all depends on one‘s needs. Recently there have been so many posts about these cars handling and issues with them. I‘ve never had an issue with mine and feel 90% would benefit from reverting and getting fresh bushes etc over keep buying new and more adjustable parts as the more you tinker, adjust and replace with harder stiffer poly parts the more the ride comfort and quality is compromised.

This was why I bought a car pretty much 100% oem so I could spend money as I needed improving each individual part to my needs and driving style.

I agree, the caster is the only thing i wish the bilsteins could offer, and I‘ve contacted them about it as so far the only way of getting more via top mounts is by using nitron ones (only about £300) but having spoken to tgm about it in depth I was advised against it simply as the benefits would be small and in 90% of drivers cases hardly noticeable.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I agree he could but it all depends on one‘s needs. Recently there have been so many posts about these cars handling and issues with them. I‘ve never had an issue with mine and feel 90% would benefit from reverting and getting fresh bushes etc over keep buying new and more adjustable parts as the more you tinker, adjust and replace with harder stiffer poly parts the more the ride comfort and quality is compromised.

This was why I bought a car pretty much 100% oem so I could spend money as I needed improving each individual part to my needs and driving style.

I agree, the caster is the only thing i wish the bilsteins could offer, and I‘ve contacted them about it as so far the only way of getting more via top mounts is by using nitron ones (only about £300) but having spoken to tgm about it in depth I was advised against it simply as the benefits would be small and in 90% of drivers cases hardly noticeable.
So for the price of a set of blistein with same adjustabilty you could almost get two or three sets of
Of yellowspeeds tuned by people who race in the civic cup with decent adjustability? Know where my money would be going. Each to there own but I don't buy into brand names

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
So for the price of a set of blistein with same adjustabilty you could almost get two or three sets of
Of yellowspeeds tuned by people who race in the civic cup with decent adjustability? Know where my money would be going. Each to there own but I don't buy into brand names

I wouldn‘t say so as you don‘t need the top mounts so they are not much more but the build quality and parts used are far superior and tuv approves. Bilsteins been around for over 100yrs so know their stuff and everything‘s perfected to each cars chassis so they are far better but quality comes at a price.

If you ever want or need more adjustability then it means your generally racing/competing or should be as I can for sure say half of us here in trackdays never use our setups to their optimal potential and if competing I‘d never run budget coilovers (Nitron, Gaz, Ohlins etc would be the minimum I‘d spend on).

When I built my Integrale hill climb race car I had full custom suspension made for it at over £1200 per corner trust me it was well worth it

ste01

Advanced Member
FFS.

Edit: Surprised all this talk of suspension hasn't brought up a trip to America or a mate with a McLaren. Some people love brands, helps to push a 'successful' image of themselves 🙄