Start up issue/grinding

alfa27

Advanced Member
I have noticed the last few days that once i start the car(thru the engine start button) there is a grinding noise as i hold the button. Soon as the car starts and i take my finger off it, it stops.

Any idea what it could be?

want to sort it as i use it as my daily and dont want to get up some morning and the car fails to start.

dotty

Advanced Member
Cold weather and sticky starter motor. It's very common on the K20. Nothing to worry about as bad as it sounds.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
A lot of us have it. Its as dotty says.

I've even considered changing mine just for simple fact I hate getting the looks when I start it but if you buy a standard one from Honda the symptoms will soon return with a new unit. The only thing I have noticed is that Bosch also do a replacement so I'd be interested to know if anyone ever buys one of these as I reckon they may be of a much better quality. The price seems to suggest that anyway being more than £300 if my memory serves me right! I think it was over £100 more than a Lucas alternative but forget where I was looking now.

dotty

Advanced Member
alfa27 said:
So i just do nothing? dont have to replace anything just the weather :)
Yeah. Is it only doing it on a first start up after its been left a while?

alfa27

Advanced Member
dotty said:
Yeah. Is it only doing it on a first start up after its been left a while?
Ya, have only drove the car once every few days since im on holidays. Taught it was something on the way out.

japhead

Maybe worth taking off the starter and applying some grease to the cogs to help with the grinding and sticking

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Only problem with that is its an inlet off job which if you've never done it before is a right pain! You'll also then need some new gaskets and if you're really unlucky like I was end up getting damp in the IACV which will involve stripping that down and cleaning it (although in hindsight I'd recommend doing that while the TB is off anyway).

Other thing I found was some of the vacuum hoses were welded on to the inlet which meant cutting them off and waiting for replacements. I did a guide in the DIY section if you're still contemplating giving it a go but in all honesty as Dotty says I'd just leave it.

H105Daz

Advanced Member
It was rumoured that replacing your old battery would cure the problem, well it doesn't as it didn't when I swapped my battery.
It's very intermittent on my car and does it about every 5th or 6th startup. It used to do it regular on my 4am starts, but I found that if you turn the keys to accessory while clipping in your seatbelt etc it happens less. :xhappy: