start up problem noise

hon88

i think it only happens on cold start, when i start the car up there is a high pitch screech noise coming from the engine, only for like half a second, it sounds simliar when you turn the key whiles the engine is still running? any one had this problem before?
Its use to do it now and again, but now it seems to do it every morning.

dave c

400hp K20
i think that is the starter motor sticking on, it happens on mine if i havent started the car for a while. very annoying lol

celox performance

Advanced Member
Also happens to me. It sounds as though it's also known on the Civics. Not sure whether it's a problem or not but mine's been doing it for about 12 months now :?

integrad

It used to be called a bendix and if it does it constantley it will in time scrub the edge of the ring gear out.

DuaneT

Advanced Member
Hey Eveyone,
I have recently bought an Integra (3 days ago) :D it was fine for the first couple a days but as the weather has gotten really cold i noticed as it was starting there is anoise like when you try to change gear without the clutch down properly or as other ppl have said turning the key with the engine on, what do ppl do to cure this? i dont want it to start knackerin my flywheel in time... Cheers!

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
Mines done it since day 1.

Part of the DC5 charecter/ownership. 8) :green:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
mine did it too , was not able to trace it to the starter tho as it sometimes sounded like the alt belt.

daaan100

I asked TGM about fixing it when I had my last service. The general advice, unless I wanted to replace or completely rebuild my starter motor (which wasn't guaranteed to work), was put up with it. Another of the Type R nuances

Chief

Advanced Member
daaan100 said:
I asked TGM about fixing it when I had my last service. The general advice, unless I wanted to replace or completely rebuild my starter motor (which wasn't guaranteed to work), was put up with it. Another of the Type R nuances
I've had my starter motor removed and cleaned by TGM and it still does it on mine when its cold which at the moment is pretty much every day. I'll be getting a new starter motor when my cars in for a service in a few months.

DuaneT

Advanced Member
Hey,
Just wondering if you've had a new starter motor and if that solved the problem?
D

gregb

Advanced Member
Just adding this to the thread the noise seems to happen to my teg when the battery is not at it's optimum,could be linked?
Anyone with the reoccurring sound still have it after installing a new battery?

dotty

Advanced Member
You mean it seems to grind more when it is a colder morning? Maybe a new battery could be the answer :-k

dotty

Advanced Member
It might be worth getting a new battery, I have noticed mine in the cold having issues more so than ever, the crunch comes in twice on a particularly cold morning, but once I have been out for a twenty minute drive and turn it off then on it starts with no noise and pretty quick. I am coming to the conclusion that this starter motor noise could be battery related.

I am going to try a new battery out, failing that I will eat humble pie and get a new starter motor and get it fitted along with lightened flywheel, clutch and final drive. ££££ but it will be worth it :shock:

I've had that loud grinding noise for the last 6 months. In the begining it wasn't so loud, but lately its gotten a lot worse. Then my car wouldn't start the last couple of days, so I got the battery checked and it barely held a charge. So $80 to get a new battery from Crappy Tire and I no longer have the loud grinding sound. Hope this helps someone.

STARTER MOTOR AND ALTERNATOR INSTALLATION NOTES AND TIPS
Common Starter Motor Failures

62% of all starter motor failure is due to a faulty or weak battery.

19% of all starter motor failure is due to poor electrical connections, fusable links, bad battery cables, and weak grounds. Cable can be tested by verifying that voltage drop doesn't exceed 1/2 volt from end to end.

8% of all starter failure is due to improperly shimmed General Motors starters.

7% of all starter failure is due to improper timing and overheating.
Sounds vaguely like the symptoms of a weak battery.

When you turn the car to "Start", it engages a relay/starter solenoid that connects the required high current directly from the battery to the starter motor. If the battery is weak, it has enough power to engage the relay, but when the starter motor attempts to pull high current to turn the engine, the battery can't handle the load, and effectively releases the relay. Because the relay is now open, the starter is no longer drawing current, so there is enough power (again) to engage the relay, then the whole cycle repeats. The result is a buzzing sound as the relay alternately closes and opens. (This is roughly how mechanical buzzers are designed).

Another symptom of this would be the interior lights dimming appreciably or turning off altogether when you attempt to start the car.

Sometimes, there is just enough impulse from the initial surge to turn the engine enough for it to start. Once that happens, the engine is running off of the alternator instead of the battery.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
my starter was doing this and my battery was on its way out, after replacig the battery the annoying noise went away. The other day and this morning it done it again slightly but it was -12c so not too worried as other than the extreme cold its been perfect.