Start up speed

dazza

Advanced Member
Does anyone know how i can make my PC start up quicker?
It used to start up really quick but i think after i did an update a while back it takes bloomin ages now :?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
you would need to check what services and programs are running in the background and then remove the unused ones.

At which point during the boot does it take long?

dazza

Advanced Member
You get the desktop up on the screen and then the PC carries on it's whirring and going through whatever it's doing when the light comes on like it's loading stuff.
Sorry for my explanation but i'm not the most computer literate :lol:
It takes a good 5 minutes before it settles down and you can start doing things without it taking ages :?
How do i check what's running that i don't really need and how do i remove them?

Cheers

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
First have a look in the Startup folder

(Start > All Programs > Startup)

List what you have in there:

Then you will want to go through the registry (not for someone who doesnt know what they are doing)

jonster

Advanced Member
Check for spyware with Ad-Aware ([url=http://www.lavasoftusa.com">www.lavasoftusa.com) and buy a copy of Regcure (

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Try CCleaner and TuneUp 2007. CCleaner will pic up loads of crap that's on your HDD, and also sorts the registry out. Tune up does this too, but I find CC better. There's a load of handy function in Tuneup which make it essential, eg start up manager, TCP/IP optimiser, system advisor etc. Loads of CD keys kicking around for it too.