Starter Motor

Spirit R

Some help needed please. My DC5 has been standing still for the last 6 weeks and the battery was flat. I started it back up via jump leads and everything was fine. In the last few days the car is simply not even cranking, when I turn the key, all I can hear is a click.

The car starts up instantly if I jump start it, I’m assuming it’s the starter motor as the battery is holding charge. I’m looking to replace the starter motor.

Does an EP3 Type R starter motor fit the DC5?

Would you guys recommend a new/refurbed unit or used ones on EBay (but they look manky and tired)?

Would the following starter motor from EBay would fit the DC5? Item number 324075285024. It’s a refurbed genuine Denso unit.

Many thanks in advance

anton1234

Advanced Member
Try to jump start it again with leads to another car, if it starts off the key then it will be your battery at fault.

If your battery went flat, depending on its age,it could now not hold enough cold crank capacity which is why your starter Motor just clicks.

I would personally try jump leads again first to confirm and then if it's starts get a new battery, you don't want to pay out for a new starter and the time swapping it to still be in the same position.

Hope this helps.

Spirit R

Thanks Anton.

Update:
My car started at the first turn of the key with the infamous shriek from the starter. I left It running for a couple of minutes, turned it off, then it would not start again but click when I turn the key.

Jump started the car and it fired up straight away, disconnected the leads after 5 minutes and car started up by itself.

I went for a short drive, turned it off and then attempted to restart then nothing but the clicking sound when I turn the key!

Battery was changed in Feb 2019 with a Yuasa 5000.

anton1234

Advanced Member
Tricky one....

If the battery went flat for a considerable amount of time ( more than a couple of weeks) , then chances are it's had it and needs replacing .

If it's me I would change the battery as this is the easiest and cheapest option and with it going flat seems plausible that it's seen better days, however without diagnosing the car in person I would hate to waste your money if it's not the battery.

From experience changing the starter motor on the drive was a bit of a faff with having to remove the Intake manifold to gain clear access , may be easier on a ramp.

Flip a coin and make your choice , lets us know the outcome.

Spirit R

I’m going to take the car for a battery test tomorrow at a local parts shop this will help me decide which route to take.

Spirit R

Similar problems today, sometimes perfect starts other times having to use jump leads.

Local parts shop tested the battery which showed 12v.

Alternator is charging the battery perfectly. No issues there.

He doubts its the starter motor as the car starts with jump leads.

1st step now, change the battery. It came with a 5 year warranty (Feb 2019), going to see if I can get it replaced.

Spirit R

Update, I’ve changed the battery and car starts on the button and holding charge.

Thanks Anton for the advice.