Starting up Number plate business....

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I've noticed a few issues with regards to displaying front number plates for imported vehicles in recent times - particularly with getting fines as the front plate being too small, no company name or BS number being displayed etc etc...

I've done a fair bit of research over the last few months and have decided to start my own registered business supplying the smallest front number plates legally allowed for Japanese imported vehicles.

For instance, a 5 digit number plate can legally be 290w x 82h. However, for aesthetic purposes I will be supplying 5 digit front plates at 300w x 87h. This gives an extra 5mm border around the plate which in my opinion looks better.

A 6 digit number plate for instance could legally be 344w x 82h. However, for aesthetic purposes I will be supplying 6 digit front plates at 355w x 87h.

Also, a 7 digit number plate could legally be supply with the dimension of 398w x 82h but I will be supplying these at dimensions of 408w x 87h.

They will come with my company information on the front, along with the relevant BS numbers and i can even supply paperwork via email to prove these are legal (if you do end up getting pulled).

At the moment i am testing the water but everything is nearly in place and nearly ready to take orders. Prices aren't confirmed yet but once i get a prototype made up i could post a pic up on here and potentially get a group buy sorted?

These would be rigid plastic plates although in the future i could potentially supply sticky plates which will also have all the relevant legal information on them (I may have to research this option a bit more!)

Let me know your thoughts if you may be interested.

Cheers,
Carl.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Don't you legally have to have a copy of the V5 to make plates now?
Apparently so yes, however, looking at a reputable seller, UKRegNumberPlates.co.uk i believe you can scan in your v5's; see below. I also need to keep a record of the vehicles which i have supplied number plates for.

Do I need to send in documents?
As a DVLA registered number plate supplier, we have to request documents that prove your identity and that you can use the registration number. We understand this is a slight inconvenience, but do our best to ensure sending documents to us is made as simple as possible. Be aware of other suppliers that do not request these documents, as it may suggest the replacement number plates they are producing are not road legal.
When sending in documents require one of each of the following:
To confirm your identity
  • driving licence
  • utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
  • national identity card
To confirm you can use the registration
  • vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
  • new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
  • of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
  • retention document (V778) - not applicable in Northern Ireland
  • a renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
  • temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • a number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  • an electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948)
  • a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate

How do I send my documents?
Documents can be sent to us by post, uploaded from the order confirmation page or sent by email. To send your documents by email please send them to contact@ukregplates.co.uk. If you would prefer to post your documents please send them to the following address.
UK Registrations
Plate Finder Limited
4, Southcroft
167 Carshalton Road
Sutton, Surrey
SM1 4NG

Online number plate supplying should reflect that of a real life transaction - the trader needs to see the V5 prior to receiving payment for the desired number plate. However, show plates do not require this as show plates do not need to comply with the law. In my scenario; i would need to comply and therefore be required so see the relevant documents prior to receiving payment and manufacturing the number plate.

All number plate suppliers i have been in contact with will only supply a plate of the standard UK size (520mm x 111mm) when printing their company name and BS number on them which are hideous on cars like ours. I am willing to fill that gap by being able to supply smaller sizes which are still legal but i still need to follow the relevant processes with regards to transactions.

wocka

Advanced Member
FairPlay for taking this up yourself mate hope all goes well when you start officially trading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
wocka said:
FairPlay for taking this up yourself mate hope all goes well when you start officially trading

Cheers mate hopefully things go off to a good start once I get my website sorted etc.

big-pete

Advanced Member

or you know just dont run a front plate. the holder fell off on ze autobahn mr police man sir.
(plates only in the window cos track officials had a word, its normally behind the driver seat)

EDIT,
ive got stick on plates to go on, yet to have a chance to do it, and im half tempted by static plates atm.

but yeah, if you could sell the smallest legal plate that would help ALOT of people out. or even just giving them a size reference on the car.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Brilliant I could get a group buy in the near future.

I‘ve got some prototype plates made up so I‘ll post a few pictures on here in the near future or maybe start a topic in the traders section.