Stealth install coming soon....

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Basically it all started when I asked about getting a decent box made for my boot replacing the following:

As you can see, it's not pretty (not bothered about "flash" installs but you know what I mean) and it takes up a lot of room so I wanted it changing or a fancy "built in" box making out of fibreglas.

In addition, I have Focal componants + tweeters (not sure of exact model, though they aren't cheap) being driven from one Sony XPlod amp and the sub being powered from a SMXL amp.

Anyway a guy local to me from the ATR forum and said he'd take a look and see what he can do. I say local, but he's literally 2 minutes down the road. He told me what I already feared, that my amps were simply not up for the job.

Well I've now handed over some cash to him and it's all changing. The amps are coming out as is the sub box and spare wheel. A fake boot floor will be made and the sub will live under this completely out of sight along with the amp. Basically you'll open the boot and it'll look just like a normal DC5 boot without the flimsy thing that lives in there normally. Can't remember the amp make + model but it's about £400 new. Got a working second had one from him and we've come up with a good price to have all the work done.

Can't wait to get it done, he reckons he can have my car sound 10 times better. He does it as a living so I know it's in good hands.

I'll update this post on Saturday when the work starts with pictures of the old stuff and new stuff being put in, but it might be another week till it's completed fully.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Yeah should be good. He's asking if I want the FG sprayed red or black, I don't have a clue :oops:

Evil_Weasel

Advanced Member
Good idea to use the space taken up by the spare wheel, lets just hope you never have need for it! :wink:

Also assume some waterproofing of that area will be needed as water ingress is a known issue for the spare tyre well is it not...?

Evs

Advanced Member
Sounds great Chris, look forward to seeing the build pics 8)

Wouldn't be keen on losing the spare wheel myself, but if you can live with that then fair play :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm not keen on removing the spare wheel in all honesty. I'll get som tyre foam to cover me and if that won't work then I'll just call my breakdown company.

I know foam isn't the best, but neither is a spare wheel. Plus I don't think I'd ridicule myself by putting on the spare :lol:

You watch though, one day after it's done I'll get a bleeding puncture :lol:

Work on it should be starting Saturday.

Evil_Weasel said:
Also assume some waterproofing of that area will be needed as water ingress is a known issue for the spare tyre well is it not...?
It's all dynamatted (SP?) mate. Plus the guy is a pro, I'm sure he's thought it all through. He's even though of mounting some 120mm fans in there to keep the amp cool :shock:

He's on talkadio and is apparently very well respected so it should turn out looking great 8)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
It's going to his tomorrow for 8 hours work. He reckons it will be done after 3 days. Can't wait!