Steering Feel

phillll

Advanced Member
Hi guys!

Over the past few days I've noticed the steering feels a bit loose/erratic compared to how it used to be.
What's the most obvious, ball joints/tie rods? Bit unsure myself, but I know it could be a few things.

Car is on standard shocks and springs.

Thanks in advance!

spooke

Advanced Member
phillll said:
Hi guys!

Over the past few days I've noticed the steering feels a bit loose/erratic compared to how it used to be.
What's the most obvious, ball joints/tie rods? Bit unsure myself, but I know it could be a few things.

Car is on standard shocks and springs.

Thanks in advance!
First things to check are definitely your track rod ends, also worth checking drop links, top mount bushes, lca bushes, play in shocks, tie rods, steering rack slider etc.

adam.

Advanced Member
Get an SHG rack slider in there.

Completely eliminated the dead zone in my steering, razor sharp now.

Mark_teg

Staff member
First thing to check is tyre condition and pressures!

Obviously, road conditions and temperatures have changed a lot recently too.

LJFoley

if all is tight on the track rods etc investigate adjusting the steering rack, i had the same symptoms as you, everyone said track rods, drive shafts etc. i got under the car adjusted the rack and its now night and day different it drives perfect.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
First thing to check is tyre condition and pressures!

Obviously, road conditions and temperatures have changed a lot recently too.
This, check the basics first then move onto suspension components. Also power steering fluid level.

spooke

Advanced Member
LJFoley said:
if all is tight on the track rods etc investigate adjusting the steering rack, i had the same symptoms as you, everyone said track rods, drive shafts etc. i got under the car adjusted the rack and its now night and day different it drives perfect.
Curious to know what you adjusted?

LJFoley

spooke said:
Curious to know what you adjusted?
Where the steering rack enters the engine bay there's a 40mm lock nut and a screw, this removes free play from the rack so if your Getting a sloppy unconnected feeling this sorted it for me. Google Honda steering rack adjustment and you should find stuff it's a common (unknown) thing amount lots off Hondas :) if you need any further help mate on me 👍🏼

RNP

I believe the shg slider does not come with the bolts and you will have to reuse your oem ones. Just make sure the threads on that are fine before you choose to buy shg. I solved a bit of loosened I had with a new oem one. I do reckon the shg could last longer as the material is reportedly tougher.

phillll

Advanced Member
Checked everything this morning up on the ramps. Everything is absolutely fine, no play at all.
Could it be the rack itself, or is this rare?

phillll

Advanced Member
It was done about 6 months ago. Tracking seems fine, not sure about the other anything else.
Tyres are in good condition. They're Dunlops that seem alright.

LJFoley

Rack adjustment screw CHECK IT! If it's that it's free (bit of a pain to do) apparently they were meant to be periodically checked and adjusted as part of servicing as the rack wears. This is obviously never done this causing the issues you describe.

antech

purchased honda steering rack spanner from lings uk,ordered from japan. and did myself from underneath up between side of twin exhaust header.put tipex/marker points on outer nut/small inner bolt head before you start,just in case you go too far.In the end I ended up turning the inner nut just under 1/4 turn clockwise from original point with large nut cracked off to allow adjustment.once inner bolt head is adjusted,you do up the outer nut to secure it again.I now have no slack in rack,yet is smooth.too much clockwise adjustment on inner small bolt,will tighten up the worm on the rack,.I ended up doing it 3 times to get it right.DC5 Tegs done 108k miles.
Tony

phillll

Advanced Member
Thanks guys.

Is it a tight squeeze or okay?
Probably take it in somewhere as it's a bit cold to be pissing about on the floor, hah.

phillll

Advanced Member
Slight update: Got my car booked into Vtec Direct to diagnose and fix. They seemed to know what was up and the fix.

phillll

Advanced Member
They said if all the arms have been checked and are okay, and it's as bad as I say it'll be the preload/pressure adjustment on the rack.
Been told they'll diagnose it properly on Thursday and adjust as required.

I'd rather nip over to them and let them adjust it, than buy the tool myself and not know what i'm doing!