Steering knocking when stationary

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I've got a knocking noise on the steering when stationary and locking to the left. There no noise on full right lock at all, but towards the end of full left lock there is a few loud knocks. The noise can also be heard when moving. I had a quick check over the cars suspension today and couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I also had a search on the forum and saw various posts saying dampers,top mounts, engine mounts, rack etc but no concrete answer.

Can anyone shed any light on it or had a similar knock?

It's happened since I've had a clutch in this weekend, may be related in someway?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Dan

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Sounds like one of the springs moving. Are you on lowering springs with oem dampers? It's quite common for them to knock if you do.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Check the gear box and engine mounts. When I had my head removed the 3 bolts on the left hand engine mount were done up but not tightened. Took my awhile to find out what the noise was!

You have one next to the fuse box and one just right of the exhaust manifold. There is also one right at the front but not easy to get to. (Might have to go underneath)

Adam

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Sounds like one of the springs moving. Are you on lowering springs with oem dampers? It's quite common for them to knock if you do.
Eibachs with OEM dampers yes, but they've never knocked before. Worth a look though thanks!

Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
Check the gear box and engine mounts. When I had my head removed the 3 bolts on the left hand engine mount were done up but not tightened. Took my awhile to find out what the noise was!

You have one next to the fuse box and one just right of the exhaust manifold. There is also one right at the front but not easy to get to. (Might have to go underneath)

Adam
This was what I was thinking it could be, especially with the box being out at the weekend and it being disturbed. Im gonna jack up and have a good look one evening this week. Cheers!

StuMcGrath

Advanced Member
I had a similar sounding noise turning to the left and ended up in a snapped front left eibach spring 2 weeks ago.

Not sure if the noise was due to the top mount which then snapped the spring or just the spring weakening?

The garage did check the top mount and said it looked ok but gave it a clean/lube anyway.