steering rack slider

Rom

Advanced Member
The riser doesnt move the arms beyond the oem position as far as I know? They get raised when you lower the car, the riser is to counter act that.
Without a riser, the angle of steering arms is already increased, when compressed, it is increased even further.

Interested to know the logic behind this Mike, I know we both like to dabble with alignment :) I know ride height will effect toe, so loading on turns. Im just not seeing how the riser would have a real noticeable impact on this.
Worth also noting, Mikes is a very different car to most peoples, and he does a lot of track days. So while on his car, he may notice this affect, he has coilovers, altered topmounts, huge grip levels etc.
I know mine on track felt good, no lack of turn in under loading, but mine has no where near the suspension mods of Mikes.

A bigger difference than a riser would make, is aligning the car with ballast imo. As the drivers weight affect how the car drives. Aligning it perfectly, with no weight, then sitting 60/70/80+ kg in the osf will change the alignment.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Rom said:
The riser doesnt move the arms beyond the oem position as far as I know? They get raised when you lower the car, the riser is to counter act that.
Without a riser, the angle of steering arms is already increased, when compressed, it is increased even further.

Interested to know the logic behind this Mike, I know we both like to dabble with alignment :) I know ride height will effect toe, so loading on turns. Im just not seeing how the riser would have a real noticeable impact on this.
Worth also noting, Mikes is a very different car to most peoples, and he does a lot of track days. So while on his car, he may notice this affect, he has coilovers, altered topmounts, huge grip levels etc.
I know mine on track felt good, no lack of turn in under loading, but mine has no where near the suspension mods of Mikes.

A bigger difference than a riser would make, is aligning the car with ballast imo. As the drivers weight affect how the car drives. Aligning it perfectly, with no weight, then sitting 60/70/80+ kg in the osf will change the alignment.
I'm tempted to see how FCM work in Bristol. I've heard good things about them.

Rom

Advanced Member
Very interesting read, thanks Mike.

Though i do wonder how much difference there would be if that was an R, not an RSX. As we know the suspension is different. I dont know the list of whats different, and how so. I can see the lower arms arent ally, so who knows if there are differences in the angles of joints, bushes, mounts etc. The track is narrower I think i read.
I would assume the racks are the same, the arms are possibly different to accommodate track difference. Again, Im unsure how the track was changed.

Ive read the usual stuff, the R was developed as the R from the start, not an existing chassis they decided to make an R of etc. Do we know if they are actually the same shells? Is it just bolt on parts that vary? Does the R have different construction / strengthening, as the EK9 supposedly does, stitch welds etc.

The way he has calculated camber, I guess is like coilover topmounts ? Very different to camber bolts, or slotting the strut. The angle of change will vary from adjusting the strut top, to adjusting the hub / strut bottom. By also adjusting caster, hes adjusting camber on turn, and weight transfer.

Where hes measuring toe in, in degrees, Ive never measured this stuff. But that seems high to me. Even stock, @ 1 inch compression, is toeing in over 5mm ? Worst case with all mods, around 10mm ?
Im tired and may be reading it wrong. Just seems a lot, even stock.

Rom

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
I'm tempted to see how FCM work in Bristol. I've heard good things about them.
Its Lee that runs FCM alignment. Its his business inside of FCM, he leases the space etc as far as hes explained it to me. Hes a friend, he does a lot of alignment for people I know, some road, some track. And does most of FCMs customers cars, which a lot are race / track cars.
Hes the only person who id ever use, if im unable to do it myself.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
toe measurements are in degrees,

the suspension is the same a part from the Aluminium LCA. I believe they give more castor on a type R but not entirely sure how much.

and in terms of toe in under compression, it is more than you think.

i fitted a 17x9 +54 to the rear and it cleared the trailing arm until i drove it and cornered with speed. I then fitted a 3mm spacer and on the road it had sorted it. However at Anglesey where corner speeds are considerably higher it started scrubbing the trailing arm again so i fitted some 5mm spacers and it looks to have solved it.

toe in under compression was causing the most forward part of the wheel contacting the trailing arm. In a straight line +54 is fine however 5mm spacer is needed to prevent contact under hard compression. i have coated my trailing arm again and cadwell will be the test to see if it is still contacting.

either way the basic principles of the report are correct for our chassis.

in short the best mods are
-roll centre adjusters
-castor increase at top mounts
-camber adjust at the hub

the riser bracket isnt a mod worth doing, my car has the above mods and i removed the riser bracket and my car drives better than a standard dc5 and thats with 3-3.1 degrees Negative front camber and 255/40 tyres.

sorry to drift off topic.

i have a video of my slider bracket and how i checked it. i will try and upload it

Rom

Advanced Member
I could talk geo all day :)

I didnt realise how much toe under compression was. I thought maybe the graph was wrong, as 10mm of toe in is huge! I expected a few mm tops.
Obviously on track, the effects will be felt more. On road you dont stamp on the brakes for corners so often ;)

Now ive done mine, ill be able to remove the brackets in situ, so ill give it a try when i have time.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
ive edited the post above

Note the up and down movement
Yeah I see that. So if that's doing that then it needs replacing? Looks like a lot of play in yours.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Yes it needs replacing. I haven't had time to replace before cadwell so after that I'll a month or two off the track and get it sorted.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Would this moving cause the sensation almost like the wheels are coming loose during cornering? It comes on very quickly and goes just as quick.. Just like the wheel has had a wobble; it's not being taken by camber of road or anything along those lines. I've recently had new coil overs fitted and set at TGM but still have the above sensation trying to track the issue down

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
HellaaDope5 said:
Can you only get the SHG Slider from USA or is there a UK distributor I can't find!
This guy was offering them on Facebook the other day,

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Haha, 'this guy'. You mean the same Mike who's been reeling off useful information through this whole thread?