Steering wheel a handful

spike

Hi all,
Finally picked up my DC5 on Monday after nearly 4 months of a wait.
It's got Tein Type Flex coilovers and the EDFC. All the tyres have even wear but I find when I drive it on anyway quickly the steering wheel is an absolute handful, you need to have it gripped with both hands. Im pretty sure its way more then torque steer, because it doesnt just happen at acceleration.
Does my suspension setup need to be tweaked ? It could also probably do with 4 wheel allignment, but can anyone think of anything else that could be causing this ?

sinbad

Advanced Member
Comparing the torque steer to my friends Focus RS, my DC5 is worse. Since i put the DC manifold on its a right handful now.

I'd put it down to the LSD trying to find grip.

celox performance

Advanced Member
I have to agree, it does sound like the LSD. I find it can be a handfull at times and having lowered/harder suspension doesn't help matters.

Suped

Advanced Member
Have noticed this too after the DC sports and engine mounts. Have to use 2 hands on the wheel instead of one. :shock:

Stevieg

Advanced Member
Has anyone found that when over taking and moving back into the other lane the car "pulls" you quite forcefully into the lane?

I have Tein Coil overs as well. I dont find mine torque steers much after the ES engine mounts and the engine torque damper and that even with the manifold , k-pro etc...

Decklogic1

Advanced Member
Mine does all of the above too - I have Ohlins coilovers.
I wanted to write a similar thread, but thought the torque steer was probably just something I needed to get used to - given my last car was an EK4 VTI with only 160bhp.

Something else mine does is skip about on the road something mad on uneven surfaces - its very unnerving when the car steps out at high speed.

Will a pro setup on the suspension cure all of this? :?:

spike

Cheers for the replies lads.
I got the car up on the lift here at work today, there was loads of play in the front left hand side wheel. Turns out the outer track rod end is pretty worn. Have one ordered already, will have it in the morning, happy days !

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Mine's pretty bad, but that's due to the camber I'm running on my coilovers. As a general rule of thumb, the more negative camber you have the more unstable the car will be in a straight line. It's finding that compromise between handling and being able to safely driving in a straight line.

I'm going to back my camber off and probably run -1.5 all round which should help the stability while keeping a good amount of camber for corners. Unless you track regularly -1.5 is ample IMHO of course.

tedg

Advanced Member
>>>Has anyone found that when over taking and moving back into the other lane the car "pulls" you quite forcefully into the lane?

Mine was pretty bad at this because the tires had camber wear - that was very bad and opposite to the camber setup. New tyres fixed everything.

There are a few people who have changed road handle setup (geometry) or ride (suspen) and found it's not truly settled until a new set of tyres have been put on.

Stevieg

Advanced Member
tedg said:
>>>Has anyone found that when over taking and moving back into the other lane the car "pulls" you quite forcefully into the lane?

Mine was pretty bad at this because the tires had camber wear - that was very bad and opposite to the camber setup. New tyres fixed everything.

There are a few people who have changed road handle setup (geometry) or ride (suspen) and found it's not truly settled until a new set of tyres have been put on.
That's good news :) I have yet to change them since the fast road adjustments TGM made and im looking at new tyres now :) Hopefully this will fix it.