Steering wheel vibration

alimujahid_dc5

Hey guys,

So I want to get to the bottom of this subtle steering wheel vibration at high speeds!

It starts after 70mph onwards i had my car aligned recently drives real smooth but i want that vibration to go away so i do not have to worry when driving at high speeds

It is not a major issue and doesn't effect driving in a dangerous way but i wish to go a track day this year and would like some advice on how to eliminate any type of steering wheel vibration.

Thanks

Instagram: @alimujahid_dc5

spooke

Advanced Member
Get your wheels balanced, that should atop any vibrations at high speeds.

adam.

Advanced Member
Can you drive through the vibration? (As in, does it go away over a certain speed?)

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
From the sound of it, it could be the driveshalf the only reason am saying this is my boss just had the driveshaft done under warranty on a 64 plate transit & that was on 8000 miles & the front end use to shake @ about 65-70 mph but as you said once you drive through the speed it would less noticeable untill you drop the speed again. If its a light vibration could be just the wheels need balancing.

alimujahid_dc5

Yeah i think it actually may be that my wheels do need balancing as if i drive over the limit it does go away but it's mostly when im driving from 70-80

But yeah i got a new set of wheels so will get it balanced on the day i fit them on to hopefully get rid if not i'll look in to the driveshaft condition

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
My dc5 had an alignment last week with new wheels and fresh tires put on, im getting vibration at speed as low as 40mph when braking, before the alignment it was vibrating around 70mph, What could it be?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Tyres balanced incorrect. I know they have just been done, if its only started since my money is that.

Ive read plenty of stories, and experienced myself rushed balancing on these cars.. they are so fiddly to any off balancing. It literally has to be perfect not to vibrate.

Get them rebalanced at another garage, or take it back to whoever fitted and get them to try again.

When you say new wheels...aftermarket? They could need a spigot ring to stop vibrating,l of thats the case.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
The tyres were put on in april but haven't been used since. I had to take one wheel back to get it powder coated last week cause i found a chip on it and they took off the tyre so i guess it will need to be rebalanced. Wheels are volk ce28n.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Re balancing will cure it, im sure. Like i said, these are fussy cars with certain things needing to be just so...they can't have any "that'll do" type tyre fitters.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
So i had the tyres rebalanced and it still vibrating while braking from 70mph down to 40mph. I also switched the rear to the front and still the same. The rear was previously on the front and had no problems before the alignment.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Did you go to the same place? I have had it before where ots taken three attempts to get balanced correct. Try a different garage to check.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Only under brakes? Could be a warped disk I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yes only under braking. That's what the tyre shop says when I said I explained it to them, even the guy that did alignment said it might be the disc.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Did you go to the same place? I have had it before where ots taken three attempts to get balanced correct. Try a different garage to check.
Yes same place I even ask them to do get it spot on.