Sticky foam on spoiler attachments

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Does anyone run their spoiler either oem or seibon carbon one without the double sided sticky stuff under it?
I'm going to take mine off to clean underneath was wondering if it was 100% needed?
Cheers!
Adam

spooke

Advanced Member
I assume it's there to stop any vibration and potentially keep water out? I'd get a replacement set.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
As said above it stops the vibration, which can crack the mounting points, granted there probably never be enough vibration to ever crack the mounting points, but it won't make rattly noise, plus it will protect your paint

adamamuk

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I assume it's there to stop any vibration and potentially keep water out? I'd get a replacement set.
TyperItr said:
As said above it stops the vibration, which can crack the mounting points, granted there probably never be enough vibration to ever crack the mounting points, but it won't make rattly noise, plus it will protect your paint
Yea, vibrations did cross my mind! Maybe a trip to B&Q then!
Cheers guys!

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Although I'm sure I read that the tape just attracts dirt, and it sticks to it rubbing on the paint and scratching it

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Post up the tape you get mate, as I need some! Cheers
Will do mate!
I'll see what B&Q/homebase have to offer, failing that, maybe just the halfords number plate fixers.
Lukeyboi89 said:
Although I'm sure I read that the tape just attracts dirt, and it sticks to it rubbing on the paint and scratching it

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
The other side of that is though is that you have the spoiler in direct contact with the boot lid moving ever so slightly eating away at the paint until the boot goes rusty.

Look at the number of old evo's and imprezas with rusty boots.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
I recently removed my spoiler to change it for a carbon one.

It had one small circular scratch smaller than a 5p, on the outside, with a tiny bit of surface rust. I just cleaned it and greased it up.

So yes I guess the tape could prevent that.

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Just picked this up @ B&Q, think it should do the job nicely.
For indoor/outdoor use & is waterproof.
Was only £5 for a 1.5m

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I recently removed my spoiler for a carbon one. I had to pry up the ends and use a scalpel to cut through the adhesive that held the OEM one down.

This left half the adhesive on the boot lid. I figured I would leave it there as protection from the carbon fiber spoiler.

My carbon fiber spoiler also came with rubber patches that sandwich in between.

Still leaks into the boot...

Now it's stopped raining I can address the issue.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Mine does not leak, as I put some rubber grommets where the bolts go on the inside of the boot lid.

So maybe try that.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Mine does not leak, as I put some rubber grommets where the bolts go on the inside of the boot lid.

So maybe try that.
Good shout! I will give this a shot tomorrow.

dave7368

Advanced Member
How do these spoiler mounting holes let water into the boot? They are on the edge or the boot lid outside of the rubber weather seal...