Stock airbox - how does it actually work?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'm in the process of refitting the stock airbox and am just getting everything together that I need to. Just looking at the way the whole thing is in compartments got me thinking how does it actually work and why has it been designed that way?

So the air gets sucked primarily from the intake funnel through the cylindrical section in to the compartment containing the filter and we all know what happens next.

The bit that interests me is the other lower compartment which appears to feed a small percentage of the air via the squared section that joins to the cylinder going to the filter. I know the hondata mod opens all of this up in to one large section but does anyone know why it was made this way?

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
As far as I've learned, it's to keep the noise down from the induction effect. By having the chambers moulded like they are it causes less ressination around the box, so lessening the noise. I might be wrong, but that's just something I've sort of picked up from air box chats.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
From what i understand It's to do with torque. But it's also to do with throttle response.

Air is drawn from the chamber at the front of the box when the accelerator peddle is depressed. It makes sure there is enough air going into the system.

Noise is also an issue which is why Honda done it. I've taken all the insides out if mine (Hondata Mod) and the noise level wasn't that different to be honest. But the car seemed a bit better all round. Have put a Spoon filter In too which helps with the breathing. Great mod and cheap too.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Got the do luck filter ready to drop in but not decided whether to butcher the box or not yet :D

Maybe if I get a second one for peanuts I'd do it then and have one of each.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
i seen a dyno chart comparing a stock airbox to a hondata one and there was a slight drop in torque with the hondata mod

Ali D

Advanced Member
I felt a massive improvement in removing those baffles - and running an 'empty' box with a k&n drop in filter...

Makes a clean noise, and improves throttle response - you can go a step further and cut the grill and make a DIY cold air intake. Dave (reelmotion) has a video on youtube showing the gains from just this.

Ali D

Advanced Member
Dave's vid seems to suggest so - I myself have just done the airbox mod, so wouldnt know.