Strange Headlight thingamajig.

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
Now this is going to sound weird, but I don't think my car has HID bulbs in it at the moment. Would normal bulbs run on HID ballasts? I have yet to take the front apart but I'm planning to do it soon and when I do, I want to swap out the lights. I know I need D2R HID bulbs for low beam, and H1's for the main beam. Any answers for this little conundrum are appreciated. I know taking the lights out is the easiest way of finding out but I was hoping maybe someone had experienced something like this before.

d2007ave

Advanced Member
You'd know if its hid bulbs , when you turn the lights on if there is a brief pulse of light as the lights fire up its hids, but if it they come on full with no pulse it's halogen, (without ballasts of course)

Sorry badly described it, finger typing on dodgy phone

d2007ave

Advanced Member
Also whiter light generally with hids unless of course you have tinted halogens or high k hids

wj51fut

Advanced Member
If you look at the bulb you can see a bar that runs from one end to the other. Also gas discharge bulbs are more slender than standard bulbs.

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
After having a good look you can see its shaped like a normal Halogen bulb. Now I'm thinking either the HIDs have been removed and standard bulbs put in, or it has had a full set of new headlights that have never had HIDs in them. A lot of people have commented how clear they are for a car of its age. Oh well, I'll find out for sure when the bumper comes off, possibly this weekend.

Bonito

Advanced Member
It's a piss easy job to do, don't put it off. I put mine off from weekend to weekend and when I finally did it I was kicking myself for waiting so long!