Strange issue with headlights

brucey87

Advanced Member
This all happened after my overheating problem whilst waiting to park up on the stand at japfest.

My passenger side HID dipped beam doesnt work, but instead my full beam lights come on on both sides but not as bright. When i put the full beam on, the passenger side light (both dipped and full beam) goes off completely!! i dont get the blue full beam light on on the dash neither.

Not sure if this issue is linked to my car overheating at the show? i think that was due to my fan not cutting in! I never even noticed the temp gauge rising over the red until i saw steam comming from my bonnet!! the temp was fine all the way home.

I have checked every fuse today and they are fine and i tried the passenger side HID bulb in the drivers side and it worked.

just wondered if anyone else has had a simular problem? or know what the problem is before i spend mega money on a car electrician to sort it for me

armjoker

Advanced Member
This all happened after my overheating problem whilst waiting to park up on the stand at japfest.

My passenger side HID dipped beam doesnt work, but instead my full beam lights come on on both sides but not as bright. When i put the full beam on, the passenger side light (both dipped and full beam) goes off completely!! i dont get the blue full beam light on on the dash neither.

Not sure if this issue is linked to my car overheating at the show? i think that was due to my fan not cutting in! I never even noticed the temp gauge rising over the red until i saw steam comming from my bonnet!! the temp was fine all the way home.

I have checked every fuse today and they are fine and i tried the passenger side HID bulb in the drivers side and it worked.

just wondered if anyone else has had a simular problem? or know what the problem is before i spend mega money on a car electrician to sort it for me
Maybe you have welded some wires together? It happens every time you switch on the light?

I had issue with mine but the problem was that the driver side bulb was giving less light, after it started to flash when i go in some road halls, basically when the car was shaking. and then it goes off completely. I took it off and it came out the the bulb wasnt siting in the place good. (u need to turn it when you out it in place. like screw) mine wosnt tided up. So it was shaking in the place and i end up with melt plastic on the bulb and the unit where the bulb seats. I had to change the unit so it would work. Luckily the bulb after melting a bit still working :)

brucey87

Advanced Member
Maybe you have welded some wires together? It happens every time you switch on the light?

I had issue with mine but the problem was that the driver side bulb was giving less light, after it started to flash when i go in some road halls, basically when the car was shaking. and then it goes off completely. I took it off and it came out the the bulb wasnt siting in the place good. (u need to turn it when you out it in place. like screw) mine wosnt tided up. So it was shaking in the place and i end up with melt plastic on the bulb and the unit where the bulb seats. I had to change the unit so it would work. Luckily the bulb after melting a bit still working :)

no nothing is melted. i have the both lights out now and they look fine and everything was correctly in place. when i put normal dipped beam on only the drivers side works but both the full beams come on aswell and they are not meant to. then when i put on full beam the passenger side headlight turns off totally and drivers side works perfect and the full beam symbol on the dash doesnt come on.

Zani

Advanced Member
Swap your ballasts round, and see if the issues change sides... The dip beam and main beam are all connected, once a ballast blows this interferes with the connection.

I'm convinced your ballast blew. If you haven't got a spare, I have 2 :)

kennye68

Having similar issues ,think it's down to wiring ,changed both bulbs and a ballast ,works ok for a period of time then my n/s goes out for days then comes back on by itself ,was ok for 3 weeks then went the other night .when trying to turn on and off, light was flickering then dying out .noticed full beam light not comeing on now on dash either . {got me stumped }

brucey87

Advanced Member
Yh mate i had same issues. Lights was flickering at first acting weird then went all together. I think your ballast could be on its way out if it hasnt blown already? I know you replaced them but was it with 2nd hand ballasts?

kennye68

only one second hand from japperformance ,think it's a wiring problem because initially i swapped the o/s ballast onto n/s and was working ok {did this to test ballast]then when I got replacement ballast o/s worked fine again and n/s didn't come on at all {started to work after about an hour } this time got the flickering after no probs for about 3 weeks ,starting to tear my hair out coz will need to wait on another dry day to strip bumper off then check ballasts again !!!!!