Strange knocking noise....

jo3y

Hi,

Not sure if you know the car but I bought Gunn79's off here about 4 weeks ago.

There seems to be a strange knocking noise that comes from the right handside of the engine bay, it's only possible to hear it when moving at slow speed and the car hits the slightest bump. The noise seems fairly random, to me it sounds like something is physically hanging loose and knocking when it swings. I've had a quick look in the engine bay and under the wheel arch but can't spot anything.

Is this common or do I really need to take it to a garage? The car still seems to be driving fine but the noise is really starting to worry me.

The car has AST coilovers fitted which are fairly new and Alex engine mounts which make it impossible to hear the noise unless coasting.[EDIT] and a cusco LSD which is fairly noisy itself as well.

Cheers,

Charlie

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Sounds like an engine torque damper twisting against the chassis.

Do you know if it has one fitted?

jo3y

tron2k3 said:
Sounds like an engine torque damper twisting against the chassis.

Do you know if it has one fitted?
Afraid not mate... wouldn't even know where to look either..

jo3y

C&S Evo7 said:
It will be the topmounts or diff
I wouldn't have thought the mounts would go to be honest.... they're incredibly stiff. I'll be happy if it is though as I want to replace them with Mugen ones anyway

If it's the diff is it a major problem or just a common noise associated with an aftermarket plated diff?

jo3y

garytc78 said:
Did you get this sorted because it seems i've got the same issue?
Sorry mate only just seen this post. I didn't get it sorted, and it's getting worse... or maybe it's just because I've had an engine mount replaced so the cabin is a lot quieter so I hear it more.

I had the car in at TDi and they said they had a quick looks when the car was up on the ramp and couldn't spot anything obvious, they said it could be diff related. Do you have a standard diff on yours? Mines a plated one so it makes the odd clunk but this noise doesn't sound health. I've figured out that I get it more when turning right at slower speeds, definately sounds like it's coming from the front right, but maybe I'm wrong.

Probably a stupid question, but where abouts is the diff mounted and would it be engaged when the clutch pedal is depressed... if not then it can't be diff related as the noise is still there and possibly worse when the clutch is down.

Stoo

Whining.....
the diff is inside the gearbox
it will still rotate even with the clutch imn when your rolling

it could be a CV joint, or even a ball joint
when did the gbox oil last get changed?

jo3y

S80PERteg said:
the diff is inside the gearbox
it will still rotate even with the clutch imn when your rolling

it could be a CV joint, or even a ball joint
when did the gbox oil last get changed?
I'm not sure mate, I'll have to ask Gunn79... I know he'd just done the Engine and Diff oil 5 weeks ago when I bought it.. so from what you're saying does the diff and the gearbox use the same oil?