Strange rattle sound on idle

truupR

Advanced Member
I've started to notice an odd sound coming from the front end of the car when it's idling (and I think I can hear it when I'm rolling in gear). The only way I can describe the sound is that its almost like a rattle but... not a rattle :/ it actually sounds a bit like white noise to me :S!!

Anyway - it's most apparent on idle once the car has been running for a few mins or been driven for a few miles. The 'rattle' noise is constant while idling, but disappears when the clutch its pressed. It immediately starts again when you take your foot off the clutch.

I've been searching on here and I'm thinking its one of two things; either the clutch release bearing or the input shaft bearing? I've no idea how to diagnose either but the sound is pretty clear. It's hard to pick up the sound on video as the engine noise just drowns it out on capture.

Any input appreciated

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hope it's not your timing chain, sounds worryingly like the noise mine had been making.

BAKS42

My teg is in at TGM at the moment for a similar noise. It suddenly just came on at the weekend. I can hear it at idle and when under load. No lights on and drives fine so will see what Tom comes back with. I will keep you posted!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Yeah the more I think about it it's the clutch as you said it disappears when you press the clutch pedal. Not a major one if that's the case bud.

BAKS42

That makes sense. I just had my clutch replaced last week with a competition clutch so i'm not sure it's related at all but i will let you know tomorrow when i hear back

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well if it goes when clutch pressed it's not timing chain or release bearing as bearing only comes into play when clutch is pressed. When you release clutch in neutral only things spinning is input shaft, flywheel and clutch plate. When pressed again, release bearing and clutch plate for a moment after, then just flywheel. I'd say it's input shaft bearings although they'd be noisy when driving on load too??

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Foo King Kwik

Advanced Member
Mine does exactly the same! Started the last week or so. Mines got a fresh clutch so I'm sure it's an input shaft bearing. It's only a very faint rattle which happens on idle and when under load slightly and coming off the throttle. Going to get the 4 bearings changed in the box and do the diff bearings too. Don't think most people would notice it but I get paranoid about noises!

truupR

Advanced Member
It does make a slight noise under load but it's very difficult to hear it over the engine and exhaust. I rode passenger earlier when the wife plucked up the courage to drive it home for the first time lol I could hear it a lot more clearly when I was sat on the passenger side.

Where can I get a bearing kit and how much would we be talking for labor costs? TGM will be carrying out the work :) Also - whats the turn around time? It's my daily driver and TGM is a 2/3 hour journey away so I need to make arrangements for work if it's more than a one day job :<

Ben_brodie

Advanced Member
I had exactly the same problem as you have described recently so phoned up Dave at steels honda. For all four bearing and seals it came to just under £300, then cost me a further £400 in labour, in my opinion it was money well spent... No more rattling or whirring sounds which were driving me insane and also the piece of mind that there are no other issues inside the gearbox as it was all checked over when the gearbox was open.

truupR

Advanced Member
Thread revival here:

I've had a new clutch fitted 2 weeks ago, courtesy of TGM - however I've noticed that rattle is still there on idle: foot off the clutch when idling, rattle present. Push the clutch pedal to the floor - rattle stops completely.

When I pointed it out to Tom before I had any of the work done he said 'yeah that's your release bearing'. Now further demonstrating how much of a numpty I am when it comes to anything mechanical - would I be right in saying that a clutch release bearing would of been changed along with the clutch itself?

If it was in fact changed, shouldn't of that noise of gone?

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
Dont worry about it. Those bearing can rattle forever and nothing should really go wrong. But yes does sound like the release bearing. Cheap part but labour intensive to fit.