Strut braces, do they make a difference?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
hi all,

i have just removed my mugen front, rear upper and lower strut braces to put on the new car.

but do they actually offer any handling increases, or are they purely cosmetic?

mike.williams, i am expecting your input :D haha

cheers

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Yes they help. The less the body is allowed to bend and twist, the more efficiently the suspension can do its job.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
any more specific info than that?

also how much are these worth if i were to sell them?

and while i am at it, how much is a gruppe m with intake hose going for?

thanks in advance

Chelt_scene

Advanced Member
The 5 comes with oem braces all over mate. But they are thicker so better than oem but not an essential

The Mighty Clam

For a really simple and divvy analogy - Imagine a car body is like a shoebox, not massively rigid laterally and easily bent & buckled. Now imagine a shoebox with a lollipop stick fixed across the middle as a cross brace.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
You will get benefit, but it's hard to feel it without pushing the car to the limits of the standard braces.

If you want to see the difference a strut brace makes, remove your standard front from the engine bay, and rear from the boot, and go for a spirited ponder around the block.

It's much more noticeable once you remove it, than when you upgrade standard.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rom

Advanced Member
They work, or there wouldn't be oem ones.
How much better aftermarket ones are then oem is debatable.
Especially when most from ones are only 2 point, not 4 like the oem. So require you to keep the oem.

It's not something you will feel on the road. Placebo will convince you it's better. The same way you are sure that filter made it quicker etc.

On the track, you could well feel the benefits over oem. But you would need lap times to compare really. Otherwise it's just 'Yeah it felt better'

Fitting a brace to a car with none, will have a greater effect than fitting an aftermarket one to a car that has oem ones.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Yep pretty much what I thought... Cheers guys

Now where are we at with prices? As I will put all 3 up for sale