Strut braces

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Hi all,

So I change my intake to a mugen one and as a result my J's strut no longer worked with it.

Currently I am on the look out for a genuine mugen brace, but have had no luck so am running no brace at the moment. Does it have that much in an impact on the cars performance?

I do not have an OEM brace, plus i don't think it will fit with the intake

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Far as I understand the front strut prevents excessive flex in the chassis while cornering. I'd avoid track days and spirited driving without one just to be on the safe side.

I have a RIGID Motor Sport front strut and it just clears my Mugen intake.

It's a pain to remove the cover to get at the filter without having to take the Mugen completely out, i picked up a couple of ratchet spanners to get under the strut bar, it makes it a hell of alot easier.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reggie91

Advanced Member
That was where I was heading. Wanted to book some track time.

Hmm I might give in and just buy the replica braces

carl hammond

Advanced Member
That was where I was heading. Wanted to book some track time.

Hmm I might give in and just buy the replica braces
Although I have the Genuine Mugen a mate had the Replica one and it's honestly no different mate, maybe slightly less high quality metal used but they look the same back to back etc and it's only a bar to prevent the strut towers from flexing so will be fine mate.

You could sell the J's one and be quid's in after buying a Replica Mugen :)

When are you looking to get on track and where, Brands?

Was there twice this week Monday and Wednesday GP, amazing fun...

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Although I have the Genuine Mugen a mate had the Replica one and it's honestly no different mate, maybe slightly less high quality metal used but they look the same back to back etc and it's only a bar to prevent the strut towers from flexing so will be fine mate.

You could sell the J's one and be quid's in after buying a Replica Mugen :)

When are you looking to get on track and where, Brands?

Was there twice this week Monday and Wednesday GP, amazing fun...
Yeah I sold the J's one back in May.

But if the replica one is crap metal, will it really stop the struts from flexing? Its funny that whenever you're on the look out for something it is never for sale :xClubbed:

I was looking at a couple of dates in November at Bedford and Brands, but i need to get a few bits done a TGM before hand and want to do a few cosmetic things too before next year(Carbon bonnet, j's front wings and maybe some different wheels).

2019 is 100% the year I finally go to the ring lol

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Yeah I sold the J's one back in May.

But if the replica one is crap metal, will it really stop the struts from flexing? Its funny that whenever you're on the look out for something it is never for sale :xClubbed:

I was looking at a couple of dates in November at Bedford and Brands, but i need to get a few bits done a TGM before hand and want to do a few cosmetic things too before next year(Carbon bonnet, j's front wings and maybe some different wheels).

2019 is 100% the year I finally go to the ring lol
I wouldn't say it's weak metal and would deff be suitable and up to the job, there isn't a massive amount of flax as it is in the DC5 chassis so it would be fine. There are a few replica mugen ones out there I have seen so worse case would be buy and return if any fitment or quality issues etc but the set I have seen (front and rear) were fine and added stability, genuine Mugen ones are hard to come by nowadays :-(

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I wouldn't say it's weak metal and would deff be suitable and up to the job, there isn't a massive amount of flax as it is in the DC5 chassis so it would be fine. There are a few replica mugen ones out there I have seen so worse case would be buy and return if any fitment or quality issues etc but the set I have seen (front and rear) were fine and added stability, genuine Mugen ones are hard to come by nowadays :-(
Its only £70 so i guess it isn't the biggest hit. My only concern is that I was going to buy Indi's replica and for some reason it just did not fit my car :/ it was too short?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Its only £70 so i guess it isn't the biggest hit. My only concern is that I was going to buy Indi's replica and for some reason it just did not fit my car :/ it was too short?
That's odd, I thought the only diff was PFL and FL oem braces, whereas aftermarket ones and Mugen etc would all fit straight on? I am only in Maidstone Kent are so could always come and try my genuine one to see if that lines up and fits if needed?

Was it far out as to fit mine I had to jack the car up a bit and get the suspension to flex before fitting and re tightening everything to make it solid

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
That's odd, I thought the only diff was PFL and FL oem braces, whereas aftermarket ones and Mugen etc would all fit straight on? I am only in Maidstone Kent are so could always come and try my genuine one to see if that lines up and fits if needed?

Was it far out as to fit mine I had to jack the car up a bit and get the suspension to flex before fitting and re tightening everything to make it solid
Think that might be too far. I might give Kaho a shout as he lives down my road.

Hmmm maybe that was the issue. It basically wouldn't go over the studs.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Think that might be too far. I might give Kaho a shout as he lives down my road.

Hmmm maybe that was the issue. It basically wouldn't go over the studs.
No they wont just sit straight on and over, you need to get some flex first, then tighten everything up :), If it was really close it would have been that as to why you couldn't get it too fit mate, I thought the same with my genuine one then jacked the front up and job done :)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
No they wont just sit straight on and over, you need to get some flex first, then tighten everything up :), If it was really close it would have been that as to why you couldn't get it too fit mate, I thought the same with my genuine one then jacked the front up and job done :)
Where would I jack it up front? Jack it from one size? That should bring the strut towers closer together then I guess?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Where would I jack it up front? Jack it from one size? That should bring the strut towers closer together then I guess?
I use the front centre of the subframe right under the middle of the front bumper and back slightly :)

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Hi all,

So I change my intake to a mugen one and as a result my J's strut no longer worked with it.

Currently I am on the look out for a genuine mugen brace, but have had no luck so am running no brace at the moment. Does it have that much in an impact on the cars performance?

I do not have an OEM brace, plus i don't think it will fit with the intake
Can't you just use OEM mate?

My plan was always to try to cut OEM to fit around the mugen, but have never gotten around to it.

Happy to loan it to you I the mean time if you need.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Can't you just use OEM mate?

My plan was always to try to cut OEM to fit around the mugen, but have never gotten around to it.

Happy to loan it to you I the mean time if you need.

I was under the impression oem catches on the mugen intake quite bad?

That would be amazing mate, but I don‘t want to damage my intake as it‘s like new :(

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I was under the impression oem catches on the mugen intake quite bad?

That would be amazing mate, but I don‘t want to damage my intake as it‘s like new :(
OEM on facelift 'just' touches the rear right corner of the box. I just put some foam between it and no damage.

PM me or WhatsApp me mate.
07912 one 79807