Strut brase???

dylski

hi guys, im interested in upgrading my strut brase, any ideas which is the best to go for? i imagine the strongest but lightest, but which one is that??

Also what's the best upgrades to enhance the handling?? i've heard things about camber bolts, anti sway bars etc but dont realy know the benefits fully, could someone please explain

Thanks!!

dylski

i've got mugen suspension by the way thats why i haven't mentioned suspension ;)

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
carbing aluminium 4 point one! quite rare but you can still find them.

however it wont fit with tegiwa/gruppe m intake

blueguy

Resident J's whore
TBH just choose any that take your fancy. There are lots of four point struts, two point struts that can run with the 4 point oem etc etc
I very much doubt anyone would notice the driving difference between them.

If you want proper rigidity in that area, weld a bar inbetween the two strut tops etc.

*EDIT - The most rigid (non-welded bar) design I have seen is the strut bar on the Primary Buddy Club Time Attack DC5. Then it's the limited edition UK Buddyclub 4 point strut bar (only 10 ever made). Good lucky finding one ;)

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
I have always had J's Racing braces for both my EP3 and DC5 and they have been very good. They look the part as well.

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
havent got anything against the buddy club and personally i havent tried it but the carbing is a one-piece rather than 3 piece that bolts together like the buddy club

blueguy

Resident J's whore
The carbing attaches to the bulk head via two little bits of metal that are welded on to the main strut, whereas the buddy club has what I can only describe as a whole subframe brace connecting the bulkhead to the strut tops xthumbup .

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
Without doubt the lightest, rarest, and best looking one is this :)

And unless you go hardcore with your suspension improvisation - most won't tell the difference between a brace being fitted or not, let alone the differences between the braces available.

Mine is for appearance, brand, and to add to my collection of similar memorabilia - straight up.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I wondered who'd bought that :)

I would've got that if it fitted with the J's induction kit :)

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
Had to be done man.. so rare.. wanted one when I was deciding on bay theme for the Teg, never thought'd I'd stumble upon one - unblemished too. Chuffed. Will fit with my theme perfectly..

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I only know of one other person with a DC5 running that strut in the UK. Uber rare 8)

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
It's also discontinued - has been for awhile - as Opak Racing folded some time ago. So rare.

They only had a few things manufactured - quality > quantity was the motto. Ti Mufflers and braces, for the S2000 and DC5 namely. They were an American importer/tuner that established a great relationship with, and soon became the face of Spoon Sports USA - worked proper closely with them - despite being American, they had their parts manufactured in Japan. Delighted to own this. Will go with my engine bay theme like I can't have imagined.

It's the small things - but I'm guilty of getting excited about them :) Bite me.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Opak is the one I was looking for because it's got that burnt titanium middle, 100% accurate said above, they worked very close with Spoon.

Titanium is 200% stronger than Aluminum, but also 60% heavier FYI. But you need more Aluminum for it to be as strong as Titanium, but Aluminum is 60% lighter than Titanium already, bracing on the DC5 is pretty useless anyway as it's already braced very well standard. So it is very much just for show. Depends how much bracing we are talking about!

I went for something else in the end, I wasn't a fan of the ends on the OPAK, wasn't aesthetically pleasing enough for me personally lol. But a fantastic looking brace none the less. Had I not bought the one I have now, I would have bought that before you, lol

My Aluminum one weighs 1.3kg. Be interesting what that OPAK weighs, I bet it's around same though.

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
Something so light requires additional reinforcement - I suspect this is fundamental to the design of the brackets on the Opak Racing item. IMO, it is the best looking strut - by far, it's silly light also.. silly. It does obstrut view of my top mounts, which in the correct light match the colour of my rocker cover though... LOL.

Yes, you may well have owned it before me, as you have owned the DC5 longer than I have. I'll admit that despite having it listed amongst items I wanted for my Teg, when I was planning on buying a DC5 - I didn't really expect to get a hold of one, given the Opak situation. I've had to work hard to pull a difficult bay theme together... glad I'm basically there now... blog updates inbound imminently.

What brace you rocking Porthos, anyway?