Stubborn grime on trim edges an around badges

C00ky_

As above. This stuff is ground in!
Is it old wax layers? I've tried loads of products but just can't shift it.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Chewy

Advanced Member
Assuming your general products stash contains a APC and irritating it with a brush after application isn't touching it you may want to give it a polish or compound a try, that should get it out.

As you say it'll just be a build up of grime and polish/wax that hasn't been removed in the past, but just be wary of that line under the rear quarter as looking at it there's a white line in the middle of the dirt build up which could be a sign of that panel being masked off and resprayed in the past ( probably not though ) but better safe than sorry if you're rubbing at it with a compound or getting a jet was too close to it before you find out for sure as you don't want it to lift... The dirt is consistent around the badges, roof gutter and windows though so i shouldn't think it'll be an issue at all.

Let us know how you get on.

C00ky_

Chewy said:
Assuming your general products stash contains a APC and irritating it with a brush after application isn't touching it you may want to give it a polish or compound a try, that should get it out.

As you say it'll just be a build up of grime and polish/wax that hasn't been removed in the past, but just be wary of that line under the rear quarter as looking at it there's a white line in the middle of the dirt build up which could be a sign of that panel being masked off and resprayed in the past ( probably not though ) but better safe than sorry if you're rubbing at it with a compound or getting a jet was too close to it before you find out for sure as you don't want it to lift... The dirt is consistent around the badges, roof gutter and windows though so i shouldn't think it'll be an issue at all.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the advice mate. Will try my hardest haha

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah tried this mate didn't touch it

This stuff will mate, where you based as I have some here so if local can have a go first, worked for mine if you see my post above

AutoGlym Paint Renovator

nails

Advanced Member
C00ky_ said:
Thanks for the advice mate. Will try my hardest haha

Strange, I had a couple of bits under my rear lights and it worked on that. Yours does look quite bad compared to what I had though. Maybe try the stuff Carl is recommending.

C00ky_

carl hammond said:
This stuff will mate, where you based as I have some here so if local can have a go first, worked for mine if you see my post above

AutoGlym Paint Renovator
In swadlincote. Derbyshire mate. If not I will go buy some

carl hammond

Advanced Member
C00ky_ said:
In swadlincote. Derbyshire mate. If not I will go buy some

Damn I am in Kent mate, but if you look here (about halfway down) you can gauge the stuff I was working with vs how bad yours looks and see if you think the grimes similar.

http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/45151-carls-cw-2002-dc5-project-restoration-tgm-repaint-pages-567/page-5

Mine came out as you can see and this is why I done the images to help in such cases going forward, I used cotton buds and just worked and worked and worked at it and slowly broke it down

I didn't do any other areas on the car as the roof was being painted etc, but the areas (originally planned for no paint were done) then it was painted anyway...

C00ky_

carl hammond said:
Damn I am in Kent mate, but if you look here (about halfway down) you can gauge the stuff I was working with vs how bad yours looks and see if you think the grimes similar.

http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/45151-carls-cw-2002-dc5-project-restoration-tgm-repaint-pages-567/page-5

Mine came out as you can see and this is why I done the images to help in such cases going forward, I used cotton buds and just worked and worked and worked at it and slowly broke it down
Okay mate cheers though!
I will try that before i carry on crying thinking i need a respray ha

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
The roof rails come off.... if you put your finger underneath them in the middle and pull up they slide up and out. Then you can compound the top gutters with ease. That will come off i assure you.

The bits around the window and boot glass, if you get a door stop or a small wedge of wood, wrap a microfiber around the small flat edge and use that to polish the gaps. Its purely because accsess is limited that the marks are stubborn. But you will need to persist with it. It won't come off in one wipe.

Around the badge, I use a high activity citrus cleaner or similar, and a soft bristled brush, but tbh other than trying to get in there with cotton buds and lots of time, taking it off and buying new with a quick wipe underneath is the obviously the most effective and easiest way. But im just fussy haha, you can do it with cotton buds, brushes and patience :)

Meguires ultimate compound will also be very effective on these areas... be sure to polish after however. ;)

C00ky_

Jimmer said:
The roof rails come off.... if you put your finger underneath them in the middle and pull up they slide up and out. Then you can compound the top gutters with ease. That will come off i assure you.

The bits around the window and boot glass, if you get a door stop or a small wedge of wood, wrap a microfiber around the small flat edge and use that to polish the gaps. Its purely because accsess is limited that the marks are stubborn. But you will need to persist with it. It won't come off in one wipe.

Around the badge, I use a high activity citrus cleaner or similar, and a soft bristled brush, but tbh other than trying to get in there with cotton buds and lots of time, taking it off and buying new with a quick wipe underneath is the obviously the most effective and easiest way. But im just fussy haha, you can do it with cotton buds, brushes and patience :)

Meguires ultimate compound will also be very effective on these areas... be sure to polish after however. ;)
Cheers for the advice mate and good idea with the wedge.
I just throw my toys out the pram an get annoyed tbh haha.
Will 100% try all these when I chance then in for smooth an spray front bumper and there's a few scratches on spoiler an sideskirt needs doing.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Looks like build up of dirt

Try APC and a brush to loosen but I would imagine a bit of polish will help too

As above the rails on the above come off easily

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Had this with mine in similar areas, can only assume its baked on grime from Japan, I literally tried every suitable detailing product I could get my hands on within reason.

Only thing I succeeded with was bog standard halfords rubbing compound, as suggested above wrap something sturdy in the cloth to get into the corners, I'd suggest using something made from plastic or wood as you stand a good chance of penetrating the cloth so don't want to be scratching the paint with anything metal....

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I know I am late to this thread, but what I done was use cotton buds soaked in APC to remove as much dirt as possible. Once I was happy had gotten all of initial dirt off the paint, I use fresh cotton buds with a light polishing compound to try and remove the layer of paint with the dirt baked in.

Also, as others have said, remove the roof rails for much better access to the gutters.

R3br

Yeah just use a detailing brush and small artist painting brush and work it with the stuff,you dont have to use sufex hd neat .. just take abit of time and use a microfibre to wipe away