Stuke under tray splitter

Mebz

Advanced Member
Attempted to fit the stuke splitter today. Cars covered in dead flies so excuse the pics.

First up, jack it up on my new axle stands.

Then, line everything up and measure up.

Then I came across my first obstacle....

A bit of the arch liner is in the way, preventing you in making it flush to the subframe

Ended up getting the cutter out to cut away the edges of the trim, allowing the trim to fold up.

I was going to cut the splitter but didn't have anything suitable for aluminium.

Once that was out the way, I lined everything up again and bolted it all up.

Then came my next problem...

Unfortunately there's a gap between the lip and the splitter, just over an inch, 25-30 mm.

Ended up removing it, spoke to Stuke, he's looking into possible solutions to make flush(er).

I'm going to see if I can get some rubber strip or thin metal to fill the gap. I'm hoping some one on here will have a better idea though.

Before I removed it, I placed the tie rods in the number plate holder, just to see what they would look like, by no means the final location.

Personally think it's got real potential, just a few teething problems (I hope).

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Thankfully I waited to see how these would fit.

When you say there's a gap is Thai not something that could be countered by lifted the front up when attaching the tie rods (placing under tension) or is it something else?

Gordon

Mebz

Advanced Member
Teegwa said:
Thankfully I waited to see how these would fit.
Thanks... I guess I was the lab rat...

I think the pics show it's got potential.

The gap is around the full splitter. The tie rods would only lift a small section plus I believe for performance, the splitter should point downwards.

Not sure what's causing the gap to be honest. Around the back the splitter is flush to the sub frame.

Does the sub frame sit lower on the dc5 compared to the ep3?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Hmmm yeah I get that I thought it was marginal really :(

Sorry to hear this will keep my eye on this as I plan on getting one after my engines sorted out.

Cheers for the heads up

Gordon

Gordon

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I don't think the front the OEM splitter is perfectly horizontal, is the middle not higher than the outsides, certainly looks that way but could be an optical illusion.

The subframe should be higher than the front splitter.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
I don't think the front the OEM splitter is perfectly horizontal, is the middle not higher than the outsides, certainly looks that way but could be an optical illusion.

The subframe should be higher than the front splitter.
I think it's an optical illusion as when I was measuring the gap between the lip and splitter it was consistent but the photos show a smaller gap around the edges.

Sub frame is higher than the lip. The splitter attaches to the car via the tow hooks, I'm thinking the cantilever effect pushes the splitter away from the lip.

I've seen the photos of the the splitter fitted snug on an ep3 hence the question about the ep3 sub frame. Maybe the lip on an ep3 is lower as well.

Rom

Advanced Member
So the subframe stops it sitting flush ?

The only option would be to trim the undertray so it fits around the subframe, not on it then ?

Mebz

Advanced Member
Rom said:
So the subframe stops it sitting flush ?

The only option would be to trim the undertray so it fits around the subframe, not on it then ?
Not sure how that would work.

The splitter is connected via the tow hooks. I think that's relevant to your point but I don't know how to explain it .

The best idea I've got so far is to get a rhino rubber lip off jdmsteve, this will close the gap.

The other option is to do something like this S2000:

http://youtu.be/XivV8vEiW7o

Mebz

Advanced Member
Then tried again with the splitter.

Much better now. Just need to decide where to put the tie rods, any suggestions? Current thinking is to bin the offset number plate and get a sticky. I will then use the pillars next to the brake ducts to mount the tie rods.

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
Finally I know what you meant when you told me you wanted smithing to fill the gap. Think you've pulled it off well. Didn't realise this was the splitter you had.

This rhino lip never ceases to amaze me how well it looks for under £30. I've got a Facebook page rhino lip uk, I'd love to stick up a picture if that's ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy

Advanced Member
I looked into these when Stuke first released them to replace my winglets, but I always thought the Splitter looked too wide for the DC5, too much of a gap each side.

For me though mate, you've cracked it with adding the Rhino lip.

Looks really good and ties in nicely, Great work man!

Mebz

Advanced Member
It's been removed for now, needs more fittings. It did give the front of the car a meaner/wider look.