Subaru / Poobaru.. opinions please!

antisanta

Advanced Member
Kellsled said:
My dad has a type ra Classic sti and its a great going car with around 310bhp but your dc5 wouldn't be far away from it. How do you feel about rwd? I had a Nissan skyline and the handling and fun they provide was great,the noise,and flutter was unbelievable miss it a lot
RWD is on the list of things to try too! Well, I have an e36 323 coupe which is pretty fun but its not a jap spec animal ;)

Reggie91 said:
Yeah I found that in my old scooby too. It was running 380/380 and it just didn't feel as fun to drive compared to the dc5.

You get bored of the boost rather quickly. Plus I dont think I was blown away by the flat4. I had th scooby for 2 year so I gave it a good chance but never fell in love with it haha
Well, I've decided to give it another go, having figured a 30 minute drive with a sales man isn't gonna show me what the car can do, I've been speaking to a dude thats interested in a swap, gonna let him try an sell me the maccies carpark life-style. Car in question is a blob-eye UK STi, modified though, running 350 / 380 on a duel map. Looks nice tbh

antisanta

Advanced Member
Bit of an update for this.

For those of you that have seen the above subaru on the various Jap pages on FB for swaps or sale, do an avoid. I traveled nearly 400 miles to be disappointed. Hes a nice enough lad but the cars not all that.

Its got quite a bit scratch on one of the doors, described as small on the ad.

the wheels look like they've been dragged down a kurb, not hit once. again, described as "could do with a refurb" on the ad. I guess its subjective but IMO they definately need a refurb.

and last but not least, clean body he says. Both arches are bubbling, patch of rust on the spoiler, where it meets the boot lid and finally!! The inner arch on the rear quarter is SO crusty!

Whats the point of this rant you ask? Well it pisses me off to no end that he hasn't bothered to write any of this in his advert, or disclose via PM.

Anyway, my mates selling a JDM Blobeye STi and I've managed to do a deal with the teg, picking her up tomorrow :D

I've been taken out in this one, as well as driven it myself, shes a 50k minter.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Antisanta, very jealous:) I was looking again a Subaru's today considering selling mine and getting one for track. The one in the picture looks lovely.

antisanta

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Antisanta, very jealous:) I was looking again a Subaru's today considering selling mine and getting one for track. The one in the picture looks lovely.
Cheers mate, it's really nice to be honest. Feels completely different to the others I've been in, dunno wether thats cause the others have been dogs or what. This one feels very well put together, quick too. Twin-scroll turbo so has minimal lag, running 330hp with a map from Andy Carr :). It's already on AD08s so I'll be booting it round Anglesey Circuit next month! So excited haha

Was just reading back on this thread Linus, noticed you mentioned handling mods to make them decent on track... this one had a fair bit done.

Godspeed Grooved Discs and Friction Rated Z pads.
Braided Hoses and ATE brake fluid
3" APS Exhaust with Sports-Cat
HKS Induction
Whiteline Rear ARB
Whiteline Center Roll Kit
Whiteline Anti lift Kit
Whiteline Rear Camber bolts
Meister R Zeta R Coilovers
FRSU
Mapped @ 330 with proof.

Linus27

Advanced Member
antisanta said:
Cheers mate, it's really nice to be honest. Feels completely different to the others I've been in, dunno wether thats cause the others have been dogs or what. This one feels very well put together, quick too. Twin-scroll turbo so has minimal lag, running 330hp with a map from Andy Carr :). It's already on AD08s so I'll be booting it round Anglesey Circuit next month! So excited haha

Was just reading back on this thread Linus, noticed you mentioned handling mods to make them decent on track... this one had a fair bit done.

Godspeed Grooved Discs and Friction Rated Z pads.
Braided Hoses and ATE brake fluid
3" APS Exhaust with Sports-Cat
HKS Induction
Whiteline Rear ARB
Whiteline Center Roll Kit
Whiteline Anti lift Kit
Whiteline Rear Camber bolts
Meister R Zeta R Coilovers
FRSU
Mapped @ 330 with proof.
The Whiteline stuff is really good and worth having so handy you have that. Meister R coilovers are OK to good but certainly much better available. Something you might want to consider is oil coolers. Either way, your setup is really really nice and I wouldn't really go for any more power as what you have is perfect. If you do want more power, always approach it with reliability being priority. It's not a Honda after all.

I'm really interested in how you get on with it on track as I'm considering getting one. Would love to pop up to Anglesey but it's about 6 hours away but do keep me posted on how it goes and other track days in case I can get to pop along.

antisanta

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
The Whiteline stuff is really good and worth having so handy you have that. Meister R coilovers are OK to good but certainly much better available. Something you might want to consider is oil coolers. Either way, your setup is really really nice and I wouldn't really go for any more power as what you have is perfect. If you do want more power, always approach it with reliability being priority. It's not a Honda after all.

I'm really interested in how you get on with it on track as I'm considering getting one. Would love to pop up to Anglesey but it's about 6 hours away but do keep me posted on how it goes and other track days in case I can get to pop along.
Thats good to know. Ohlins are popular, on Evos at least. ££££ though.. something to work towards haha. Oil cooler is a shout, the spec Cs have them don't they? Power is probably enough to be honest, anymore and I'll be bordering on loosing my license everytime I drive it! Friend tells me with the JDM engines 360 ish is about the limit of where you wanna be if I wanna keep it reliable. Which I do! Don't want it to turn into a money pit.

Well I'll put a thread up on here when I get it, Honda is where the heart is afterall, just feel like I need to try something else after 6 years of rocking of the H badge. I'll be keeping it updated with track action as well as how im getting on with it in general.

Have you ever done Anglesey? Its my favorite track and its also my closest haha, 6 hours is a treck though but I'd almost say its worth the trip, you could make a trip of it and stay over in our beautiful country! haha

Linus27

Advanced Member
antisanta said:
Thats good to know. Ohlins are popular, on Evos at least. ££££ though.. something to work towards haha. Oil cooler is a shout, the spec Cs have them don't they? Power is probably enough to be honest, anymore and I'll be bordering on loosing my license everytime I drive it! Friend tells me with the JDM engines 360 ish is about the limit of where you wanna be if I wanna keep it reliable. Which I do! Don't want it to turn into a money pit.
Well I'll put a thread up on here when I get it, Honda is where the heart is afterall, just feel like I need to try something else after 6 years of rocking of the H badge. I'll be keeping it updated with track action as well as how im getting on with it in general.
Have you ever done Anglesey? Its my favorite track and its also my closest haha, 6 hours is a treck though but I'd almost say its worth the trip, you could make a trip of it and stay over in our beautiful country! haha
Yeah, you are doing it right and happy to read you are not going to increase the power. So many do and then run in to bottom end issues.

Funny you say Honda is where the heart is. I am the opposite with Subaru being where the heart is for me :)

Not done Anglesey yet but it's near the top of my list. Nearly did it this year in July but ended up going to Croft with HoT as both dates clashed :( It will be done soon for sure. I might even be popping to Anglesey in a few weeks as my son and I are going to Snowdonia, Zip World, Quad biking and Mach Loop to watch the planes. Might pop over to Anglesey just to have a nose :)