Sump gasket?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
About to do a baffled sump on my car and have some Hondabond from when I did the rocker cover, does anyone know if this expires at all as been about 6 months since I opened it, also how much do you use on a sump for one of these does anyone know? just a neat thick strip all around and tighten alternate bolts to keep it even as you go round?

Thanks

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
About to do a baffled sump on my car and have some Hondabond from when I did the rocker cover, does anyone know if this expires at all as been about 6 months since I opened it, also how much do you use on a sump for one of these does anyone know? just a neat thick strip all around and tighten alternate bolts to keep it even as you go round?

Thanks
I don't think so as I've been using my RTV for 2 years haha. Just a nice strip all the way round tighten all the bolts finger tight then do opposites to get the best seal then give it time to cure.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I don't think so as I've been using my RTV for 2 years haha. Just a nice strip all the way round tighten all the bolts finger tight then do opposites to get the best seal then give it time to cure.

Cheers mate, will be a first for me doing the sump on this, been put off by the subframe bit so will hope to have a look this weekend and see how bad it looks :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Cheers mate, will be a first for me doing the sump on this, been put off by the subframe bit so will hope to have a look this weekend and see how bad it looks :)
Let me know because I'd like to put a baffled sump in mine mate. I think the worst part is taking off the rear engine mount to drop the subframe. You won't need a massive thick line of sealant just enough so it'll seal. Put the bead so the excess will come outside the sump rather than go in as the last thing you'd want is rtv in the oil

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Let me know because I'd like to put a baffled sump in mine mate. I think the worst part is taking off the rear engine mount to drop the subframe. You won't need a massive thick line of sealant just enough so it'll seal. Put the bead so the excess will come outside the sump rather than go in as the last thing you'd want is rtv in the oil

I have heard you only loosen the rear bolts then remove the front ones and it drops enough for it to come off, I may be wrong but will have a look before attempting it and report back

Indi

Advanced Member
I have heard you only loosen the rear bolts then remove the front ones and it drops enough for it to come off, I may be wrong but will have a look before attempting it and report back
This is correct, no need to touch the mounts. Also just a nice bead of Hondabond all he way around the sump and tighten it back up.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
This is correct, no need to touch the mounts. Also just a nice bead of Hondabond all he way around the sump and tighten it back up.
Thanks for confirming that mate, if it did mean touching the engine mounts I would not bother doing it myself but if its just jack it up, bolts undone and so one it's easy.

Am I right in saying you don't have to remove anything else even the wheels etc do you know?

Indi

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Thanks for confirming that mate, if it did mean touching the engine mounts I would not bother doing it myself but if its just jack it up, bolts undone and so one it's easy.

Am I right in saying you don't have to remove anything else even the wheels etc do you know?
No need to remove anything else. The job sounds a lot worse than it actually is. Subframe you only need remove the front bolts and leave the rear bolts in by a few threads and the front should drop enough to manoeuvre the sump out and back in when fitting.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
No need to remove anything else. The job sounds a lot worse than it actually is. Subframe you only need remove the front bolts and leave the rear bolts in by a few threads and the front should drop enough to manoeuvre the sump out and back in when fitting.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Perfect mate thanks