supercharged DC5.... now with pics..

JDC5

Charged DC5
Just wanted to see how many supercharged DC5 is there in the UK or on here..... I knw ollie is a proud owner of one.. any1 else?

My car comes back thursday from Tdi, fully supercharged up...

Mods are.... Jackson Racing 5psi Supercharger, ESMM mounts fitted, Kpro'd, Buddyclub manifold, Fuji Power Getter Cat-back, Gruppe M induction Kit... I'm wondering what kind of gains i likely to get... any1? i asked Tdi, they kept me guessing but they say the outcome will be very good.... so the dyno/mapping is set for the morning...

or is it N/A all the way??? lol... :D

JD

JT3173

Advanced Member
I think you should be seeing about 300 bhp at the wheels with that mod list.

I will be joining the list of JRSC DC5's next year in the spring, I am going to run a 9psi race kit on her, should be good for about 310bhp I hope, with a good throttle body, maybe a little more, we shall see :D

JDC5

Charged DC5
300bhp.. sounds good... i hope the torque will be improved alot! haha.. the list dont seem to be that much mate! lol

9psi.... are u aware that you may require internal works, i.e piston etc...

oh yeah.. throttle body.... i forgot abt that... i wanted to get the J's racing one.. but i think that will only give like 2bhp man right?

JD

JT3173

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
300bhp.. sounds good... i hope the torque will be improved alot! haha.. the list dont seem to be that much mate! lol

9psi.... are u aware that you may require internal works, i.e piston etc...

oh yeah.. throttle body.... i forgot abt that... i wanted to get the J's racing one.. but i think that will only give like 2bhp man right?

JD
Yeh, I was told about the internals needing to be uprated for the 9 psi kit, I would imagine that valve springs, head bolts and pistons would be all thats needed.

There is a guy in here with a JRSC, I have seen his car a few times, Pudski in near Edinburgh. His beast is running a healthy 290bhp and even with 3 guys in went like the clappers!

Loved it soooooo much, very fast!

God I cant wait!!!! 8)

fonz600

Advanced Member
Running 5PSI I think you'll be around the 280ish mark.

Rotrex is something worth thinking about if your chasing power figures though.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
logik said:
All at the wheels figures? Thats very impressive.
+1 very impressive... I assume you'd never do a turbo / sc upgrade without having better suspension / brakes etc right?

how do these figures compare with what you'd get with a turbo? and is it more expensive?

dave c

400hp K20
i have no idea because i havent looked into it in any detail.

but on a whole i would say that for the type of car (DC5), a SC is much more suitable. with the LSD i can only imagine trying to control the boost surge on a bumpy country lane in a turbo application. with the SC the boost/power is very linear(sp).

If you are chasing power figures over drivablity then i would say that turbo would be the best route to pursue.

And based on the high compression that our engines are blessed with they are not suitable for large amounts of boost. therefore for high reliable power i would strongly reccommend internal work in the form of low comp pistons and stronger and possibly shorter rods. uprated headstuds etc. you obviously have to get all of the externals upgraded also to deal with the extra power. oilcooler, bigger rad, injectors, engine management etc etc.

my 2p

JDC5

Charged DC5
thats true, i'm not really chasing power figures, if i was the DC5 is the wrong car! lol, think its to do with driving style, i just want power to kick in instantly so i'm not having to drop down gears to get into the vtec range.

Yeah, with turbo, it requires alot more work, plus a big wallet helps too! also i want to retain reliable, thats why a 5psi is more then ok for what i need it.

i would love to have a turbo DC5! but the cost to build an the K20 to handle the power of a turbo is alot higher then having a S/C by far! easily talkin 3-4k in parts.. thats not even adding labour cost! lol

ohh, of course, i've got all the suspension sorted, have got eibach, soon to upgrade to tein superstreets with the edfc.

but the next step has gota to be brakes, i need to upgrade them as i do find the OEM stopping power is not great!... i mite get dixcel's or even speak to TGM abt a bigger brake conversion.. but think i'm leaning towards the dixcel as been hearing/reading good reviews abt them.

JD

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Hi Jimmy

You won't get 300HP from 5psi. I would say 280 at the most. From what I could see when I was trying to work out what power I would get, I came up with this:
4 psi---260hp
6 psi---280hp
8 psi---300hp
10psi---310/320hp
This is all providing you have a free flowing exhaust and have binned the oem airbox for aftermarket.
I'm running 9/10psi and have got 300hp at the moment. This is because my intake temps are too high and am waiting on an intercooler, therefore the rev limit has been lowered to 8300rpm and it's not running as much ignition advance as it could do. I'm hoping for 330hp when all done.
I didn't want to turbo as personally I think the massive torque surge at low revs would be too much for the internals. Also the drivability would be hindered aswell due to the high torque through the front wheels. The power from the supercharger is very linear as it won't make max boost until max revs, therefore it is quite controllable and still goes round bends very well, especially with a spoon diff fitted.
I did have the choice of getting a large front mount intercooler fitted, some of the civic boys have been reaching circa 350hp with this. Instead TGM is getting one manufactured for me which will sit alongside the radiator (which will also be replaced with uprated one-half length, double depth) I think this is better as the rad won't be getting dirty/warm air. I would also recommend an engine oil cooler.
You definately won't be disadpointed with your charger conversion, drive carefully though. :wink:

P.S. All flywheel figures

logik

Advanced Member
Ah so they are flywheel figures, i was thinking that.

I know it probabily impossible to say but how much roughly are you guys paying for the supercharger conversion?

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
logik said:
Ah so they are flywheel figures, i was thinking that.

I know it probabily impossible to say but how much roughly are you guys paying for the supercharger conversion?
Conversion was about £3000 from TGM, but already had k-pro. (Kit includes charger, belt, pipework, injectors) Intercooler and uprated radiator about another £1000 fitted.

logik

Advanced Member
Thanks, would really love to have the cash to do that myself. Working on the Kpro at the moment so suppose, one step at a time :)

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
It's taken me nearly three years to get to this stage. i need to win the lottery, then I could pay the bank loan off :)

fonz600

Advanced Member
Remember Ollie is Rotrex charged and JRSC aren't as easy to cool the temps as intercoolers aren't available of the shelf as such.
If I had the choice now I think I would choose Rotrex over JRSC on the strength of easier to get your hands on coolers.

JDC5

Charged DC5
WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I just got my car back.... all i can say is ... BLOODY HELL!!! i had the biggest smile on my face!!!

I fired the car up... things got abit loud with the buddyclub manifold... then stuck it in 1st.. half throttle, then in 2nd... then flat out... OHHHH MAN!! the car just shifts!! the sound that the charger makes its mad!! forget abt my gruppe m in the background, it was the sound of the charger!! its so addictive!!

From my verdict, Its another level, you have to experience it...I've waited 6months to get it all togeva and it was worth the wait!!! i mean.. i looked down and was shocked, no matter wot gear im in, the car just pulls! no more kicking down to get in the vtec range, it just goes!!

The guys at TDi ws really impressed with the DC5, and the figures was really impressive too... they said the mods i have already just made the figure beta.. okay... i have the dyno.. but its.....

259.9hp / 168.4 torque... at 0.5 bar boost... so they say its abt 300bhp from a 6psi kit.... Im very happy indeed! the power curve is soooo smooth!!

Cost wise, the kit cost me £1500, and the fitting and mapping and everything else, i'e fittin manifold etc... came up to £1.140ish.... its money worth spend, TDi South garage is very clean and one of the best garage i've been to, all the staff all now their stuff!

JD

JDC5

Charged DC5
I like the new Rotex supercharger.. but i had a limited budget that i could spend so i went with the jackson racing.

I mean, both kit are good, but i think the rotex can offer more power and has the bouns of the cooler, but it does cost alot more. I'm very happy with the Jackson racing one.

Yes i will be driving very carefully!!! :roll:

JD