Supercharger reliability on track?

adam.

Advanced Member
Does anyone have any insight?

I do 4-5 trackdays a year, and find myself wanting more power.

Does a supercharged K20 stand up to track abuse, when hauling a DC5 chassis around?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'd be wanting one with an intercooler myself, and something to monitor oil and water temperatures.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I'd be interested in this too. I've done a couple of track days now and really think that my car needs a little more power (probably me getting far too used to the car).

From what I've heard and seen on forums, supercharger kits tend to be pretty reliable teamed with the K20. As long as you look after it with regular oil changes etc.

adam.

Advanced Member
That's my thinking, intercooled with roughly 280BHP I think would be a safe sweet spot.

Oil and water temp gauges, yep absolutely. But I'd have to find a neat and tidy way of running them.

Oh, and keeping AC is a must.

adam.

Advanced Member
Prefer linear delivery, probably safer on things like shafts and gearbox too.

My assumption was that turbo-ing was prohibitively expensive.

adam.

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
What mods do you have now?

Have you thought about dropping in a set of cams?
Nothing other than TegM box performance-wise, then it's coilovers, sump baffle and wheels/tyres only.

jrscho

Advanced Member
George657 said:
I'll be honest. I had nothing but problems with my Jackson supercharger setup.
That's interesting.... How come? Don't really hear this often with a Jackson!

Although I don't track my car, my chargers been running good since I bought it over 3 years ago and another 2 odd years from the previous owner... Driven over 30k miles with it. Touchwood though! As far as I'm aware when fitted properly and looked after the Jackson chargers are meant to be bulletproof!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Jackson's don't have an intercooler so you may struggle with heat, especially on track.

OP if your only mods are a GM intake, I would get K100, manifold and a cat back, will make a big difference.

adam.

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
OP if your only mods are a GM intake, I would get K100, manifold and a cat back, will make a big difference.
It's already a pretty noisy exhaust, won't a de-cat/mani push me beyond most dB limits?!?

Damien2809

Advanced Member
My CT Charged DC5 was fine 20 minute sessions and 2 two continues laps the nurburgring caused no heat issues. both were on 22ish 'C days.

6 Psi boost. Higher boost is where you get issue, i was advised to avoid 8psi and higher without a cooler.

spooke

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:
It's already a pretty noisy exhaust, won't a de-cat/mani push me beyond most dB limits?!?
Get yourself a Fujistubo RM01A or something pretty quiet - plus if you have to you can always fit a baffle. I'd venture into the base N/A mods first, from what I hear a remap makes a huge difference to the cars feel.

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
I would agree get some bolt ons and a good map and thats a decent step up from what you have, without spending ££££ on a SC!

adam.

Advanced Member
Day said:
My CT Charged DC5 was fine 20 minute sessions and 2 two continues laps the nurburgring caused no heat issues. both were on 22ish 'C days.

6 Psi boost. Higher boost is where you get issue, i was advised to avoid 8psi and higher without a cooler.
Thanks - does the CT kit allow you to retain AC? What kind of power were you running?

Damien2809

Advanced Member
Yes straight bolt on like a JRSC but has a better manifold design with bracket. Made 296bhp at 6psi which more than enough and the torque was brilliant.

adam.

Advanced Member
Day said:
Yes straight bolt on like a JRSC but has a better manifold design with bracket. Made 296bhp at 6psi which more than enough and the torque was brilliant.
Excellent!

Can you list the supporting mods you had when you get a sec please?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
As above you can get a JASMA certified exhaust which shouldn't cause any noise concerns.

What tyres, suspension and roll bars are on the car? Plenty of ways to make the car faster around a circuit than straight line pace. I don't believe that simply bolting on a supercharger is the answer.

BTW I can't quote on my browser in work, no idea why.

adam.

Advanced Member
R888R, Bilstein B16, standard ARBs.

Centre pipe is DC sports, backbox is crappy Powerflow until I can get the Mugen twin-loop I have in the garage on to the car.