Supercharging - Cost and best location

osiras

Advanced Member
Hey every, Its been around 3 years since i really thought about tweaking the dc5, so i am well out of date unfortunately.
im looking into supercharging, but when i last looked, the only real places to take it were TDI North, TDI south. CPL seem to have risen in peoples books now though (who are closer i think)

I live near Brighton, so where would you guys go and how much on average is it to supply and fit (roughtly). I have always used Romain to tune my car in the
past, so will be using him (hopefully) to remap it once its done.

any help would be awesome

discodave22

Advanced Member
Depends what supercharger you going for? One they can buy-in ready for you coming or looking to go JR?
My vote is for tdi north! Didn't work on my car, just the map but from what I seen personally.. Showing me around the turbo conversion on the fn2 & dc5, the work looked quality.
Or there's Eurospec heard nothing but good things.

osiras

Advanced Member
more than likely the buy-in ready one (plus i do not know what you mean by JR (lol)
So far it look like the average price is around 5k fitted with injectors and excluding a remap.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
JR will be Jackson Racing. No longer in production I believe so you'll have to wait for one to come up second hand.

I've been looking into this lately and you need a healthy budget.

I'm looking at the CT kit which is over £3k, doesn't include fitting. And then you'll need supporting mods. K100/KPro and a map £750+ I believe, ideally a 3" exhaust system (manifold back is about £1k depending on what you go for), clutch, injectors, and so on. I'm factoring-in at least £6k.

You could just bolt the CT kit on and run minimal supporting mods for cheaper. But I'd rather spend extra to get the best out of it.

And if you're going to run big power you may want to consider better brakes. TGM BBK is the thick end of £2k.

Scarey numbers for some and some will argue is it worth spending that much on an old car. You could just sell up and buy an Evo.

Below is another example:
http://euro-spec2000.co.uk/shop/p/1528/honda-integra-dc5-rotrex-supercharger-kit-supersports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osiras

Advanced Member
Ahh, that explains that, thank you, much appreciated.
It is a lot of money. I'm sure loads of people say this, but if I were to go ahead, it really is the last mod. Like my original post said, I haven't modded it for a good 3 years. Luckily I already have a dc sports manifold and 3" exhaust, rbc inlet manifold (presumably that will go) and a mapped kpro. ...... To do or not to do, that is the question

discodave22

Advanced Member
I would think hard about rotrex superchargers, I know people will disagree who own them but they seem to be more on the unreliable side. I've seen/ heard more than a few fail, one personally before I was going to buy.
From what I've been told it's more to do with how the engine is mapped coming upto the limiter, needs to be smoothed off ('soft cut' which kpro doesn't have this function) for the second you stop on the throttle to next gear.

Disregarding that issue, I've still seen them blow apart.
Then what you got to think about is who installed it?
Was it done right?
Whats the owners driving style like?
Owners Maintenance to the car?

Damien2809

Advanced Member
i paid 4.6k for my new CT charger kit to be fitted, charger, injectors and a remap. I already had the supporting mods. Due to brexit the CT prices have gone up so i imagine this cost will be passed onto the customer.

As TonksyDC5 said brakes will be needed. i paid £2850 for my TGM big brake kit and i've been told their close if not above 3k now.

combined i was very happy with the setup.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I disagree with needing bigger brakes. A good brake pad and good fluid is plenty. Adding the extra power doesn't mean you need better brakes,I mean standard they still do 150mph so the extra power is irrelevant. As for clutch don't bother replacing unless you have issues, might as well get the most out of what you have. Only replaced mine when it started to have high rpm shift issues and the clutch had done 50-60k by that point anyway. It's torque that kills clutches...and static launches and even with charger your torque will only be between 200-240 or so depending on mods of course. Second hand jrsc with injectors, brand new charge cooler and auto tensioner, new smaller power steering pulley fitting and mapping cost me 4000 all in.

discodave22

Advanced Member
Yeah brakes are already alright. Personally I'm sorting out 324mm disc with another set of 4pot brembo calipers but its only going to cost me £550 max (calipers, discs, pads and then machining a bracket & re-drilling pcd on the discs) by the time I sell the dc5 brembo's it's only going to have cost me about £100, so cost effective and Just doing it to get as much out of them on track really.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I don't know if i am the only one, but I find the prices quoted for fitting etc.. from these places are crazy. I know this is different for different people however when i was charging my car, (like many people) I had the majority of supporting mods done. Kpro, 3" exhaust, Manifold, RBC etc... Granted these are probably 2k worth of stuff but basically all i was missing was Charger, Injectors and intercooler / piping. I also find 3k for the brakes excessive, but i have never looked into that, i am just assuming you could put the kit together yourself for a lot less. Just my opinion, i may be corrected on that one.

So I looked online and bought the Rotrex bracket, Rotrex charger, rotrex oil ( universal filter, lines and reservoir) , mishimoto intercooler, Bosch injectors and a second hand impreza intercooler piping kit. This cost me about €1,800. Fitting is about 1 days work (if you know what you are doing). That is a basic cost for just the charger kit bought and fitted, about £1500 at the current exchange rate which would be a lot less a few months ago. I find it crazy people quote £4.5k for a charger kit.

I have spoken to someone who has gone through 3 rotrex chargers. I was asking him about his pulley ratio and crank size compared to his RPM limiter. Guess what the answer was? Here is the reply, and i quote "Huh? what do you mean?" and that is why he has been through 3 chargers. Do your research, set your RPM right according to the max rpm of the charger, run your oil lines in a safe place I cant see how anything can go wrong?? Give this info to your tuner and get a good map. The map was 500 for me.

Also I was not a whiz kid around the car. The most I had ever done when I decided to do this was probably servicing the car. It is just bolts. All you have to do is remember what bolt came from where to get it back together, its not rocket science. If you are considering paying 4.5K why not do it yourself, if you f**k it up a new engine is 1.5k anyway may as well chance it yourself and try save a few K. That was my theory anyway and 4 years later still running like the day I got it mapped