supra's or r33 gtr anybody??

patrickdc5

Anybody ever owned or driven a supra tt manual or an R33 gtr?

How do they compare in running costs, insurance and handling?

MrHanky

Advanced Member
patrickdc5 said:
Anybody ever owned or driven a supra tt manual or an R33 gtr?

How do they compare in running costs, insurance and handling?
I have had a manual Supra TT, and my brother has had both of the above cars. In his experience, the Supra was a cheaper car to run. Mainly due to some issues with the GTR. Supra is less prone to problems in his experience, mainly due to being a straightforward RWD car.

We both owned our Supra's for a year or so, and I only had one minor issue (wheel bearing). Everything else I spent on the car, was a modification.

Supra was great fun and very quick in straight line, but lacks feedback at steering wheel.
GTR has same sort of pace in straight line, but can handle corners better.

I think the Supra is cheaper to insure. Mine was actually about the same price compared to my DC5.

Also Supra is slightly less thirsty than GTR. My brother could only ever get 220 miles from a tank. Supra at a puch can get 270.

Hope this helps.

Mark

alucardo

Advanced Member
My last car was a GTR. I enjoyed it but fuel costs and constant temptation to spend thousands on it made me get rid... Mine was running 350bhp quick and cornered superbly.

celox performance

Advanced Member
alucardo said:
My last car was a GTR. I enjoyed it but fuel costs and constant temptation to spend thousands on it made me get rid... Mine was running 350bhp quick and cornered superbly.
How long did you own it for and how reliable was it? I had a GTS-T only due to what I heard about reliability issues of the GTR and running costs.

alucardo

Advanced Member
I had the car 6 months I bought it off my mate who had it for 2 years and it never had a problem, it was tracked about 5 times in that period aswell..
GTR is cheaper than an evo to run abit more expensive than a gts but not by much...rb26 engine is a good solid engine if its taken care of and as it was my mates i knew that he had so was an easy purchase....

patrickdc5

So in your guys opinion which would you rank in 1st 2nd and 3rd position in the cars handling between ... DC5 SUPRA or Gtr, even though they are completley different cars in all aspects??

alucardo

Advanced Member
Depends what you mean by handling?

Feel through the steering wheel?
Out right grip?
Nimbleness i.e. shifting weight through a quick S bend ?

Feel = dc5 over gtr33
Grip = gtr33 over dc5
Nimbleness = dc5

Cant comment on a Supra never owned one but I wouldent imagine its as competent as a gtr in the bends could be wrong though...

MrHanky

Advanced Member
patrickdc5 said:
So in your guys opinion which would you rank in 1st 2nd and 3rd position in the cars handling between ... DC5 SUPRA or Gtr, even though they are completley different cars in all aspects??
IMO, even though I have only had a brief stint in an R33GTR, I would say:

GTR
DC5
Supra

As mentioned before, the Supra has very little feedback, feels a lot less confident when going round corners.

Remember this is just my opinion :D

alucardo

Advanced Member
From what ive read on supras, not experienced they have a good solid chasis to work with however suspension needs setting up correctly and then the handling is as good as most cars on the road.