Suspension refresh

subtronics

Advanced Member
So whats the best parts and brands, thinking about the following:

Progress rear arb set
Hardrace LCA
Hardrace Camber adjusters
Genuine track rod ends

Any other brands worth considering and any other parts likely to need doing at the same time?

I know the Progress kit comes with rose jointed drop links, and been reading these can suffer as they are expossed. Any
way of sealing them or covers to keep them working right?

spooke

Advanced Member
You can use some adjustable Whiteline drop links for the Progress ARB, or other adjustables - however no one knows exactly what size you need :D

LCA's I'd go for Hardrace or Skunk2.

Rear Camber arms I'd go for Eibach or simialr, if you go for Hardrace Rear Camber arms then coat the metal in something else it will start rusting.

Track rod ends depends if your car is lowered or if you plan to, most coilovers use EP3 track rod ends and I can recommend Hardrace adjustable/extended tie rods if you are going to be lowering on coilovers to save any hassle.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Well the car came lowered on Tein Street Flex coilovers, so its about right ride height. Problem is I don't know how much it has been lowered from original. The coilovers look a little tired, but I recon they got another 12 or 18months in them. But the rest of the suspension parts are looking tired. Hence the refresh.

Will have a look for some Eibach camber arms then, and maybe contact Whiteline for the adjustable drop links.

Are EP3 track rod ends different to DC5 then?

spooke

Advanced Member
subtronics said:
Well the car came lowered on Tein Street Flex coilovers, so its about right ride height. Problem is I don't know how much it has been lowered from original. The coilovers look a little tired, but I recon they got another 12 or 18months in them. But the rest of the suspension parts are looking tired. Hence the refresh.

Will have a look for some Eibach camber arms then, and maybe contact Whiteline for the adjustable drop links.

Are EP3 track rod ends different to DC5 then?
Ah okay, I'm not sure if those Tein's use EP3 or DC5, I'd presume DC5 - but yes they differ slightly. If you're happy with the current geometry and don't plan to in the future add more camber then you won't need the Hardrace adjustable/extended tie rods.

That sounds like the best idea, although you might be better off asking someone who has the Progess bar to measure their droplinks and get something that has adjustment around that range.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Ahh! I get you, sorry I am not used to the track rod ends being connected to the shocks/coilovers! HA! Yeah, current set up is fine.

I can always messure the drop links that come with the progress kit, and then get some before fitting.

Would you pick Skunk2 or Hardrace LCA's? I know the Skunk2 are a bit more expensive, but I'd rather spend the extra if they are better quality?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Nothing wrong with my hardrace arms 3 years on... the ones that rust and perish are the eibachs :eek: don't think ive seen a good set that have stood the test of time. Most go to adjust and they have corroded on the threaded part, and the rubbers perrish in the bush.

As spooke said..coat the silver eyelets with something...its flash rust as its exposed casting really, they won't rot through in anytime soon, so no need to pannic ;)

If you go skunk 2, buy from a reputable seller as there are loads of fakes.

As for your refresh...best thing i ever did tbh. New hardened rubber bushes, brand new oem suspension and oem topmounts, new drop links, new track rod ends....i changed these and its as tight as a drum. factory fresh feeling, nice and firm (not crashy and really harsh)

The list is endless though, either oem for oem as i did due to longevity...or upgrades to aftermarket suspension etc. But loads can be refreshed ;)

Altecians

Advanced Member
I'm in agreement with jimmer.

Certain items like the Eibach/SPC camber arms etc are super prone to rusting. Give them some rust proofing.

I also recently completed a full suspension refresh, to the point of swapping out anything with rust or rubber for new.
The car is night and day. I would suggest the steering rack slider as an restomod upgrade as it does attribute to an improved "feel".

spooke

Advanced Member
Didn't realise the Eibach were as bad, I'm sure there is a brand that won't start rusting, seems a shame to have to paint over them. My Hardrace look awful, all orange :( when the weathers better I'll have to give them a lick of paint I guess...

You can get the SHG steering rack slider from Mike.Williams, it's a wort while upgrade for sure as Altecians mentioned.

kneedowndean

Advanced Member
So, I'd be interested in this too. I'm looking for some rear camber arms. I understand that price doesn't always mean quality but J's Racing Camber arms seem the most expensive at £325. Does anyone have experience of their camber arms, or any other J's Racing product? Are they known for their quality. They look to be well made, looking at the ones Injection Imports had for sale on Ebay

spooke

Advanced Member
kneedowndean said:
So, I'd be interested in this too. I'm looking for some rear camber arms. I understand that price doesn't always mean quality but J's Racing Camber arms seem the most expensive at £325. Does anyone have experience of their camber arms, or any other J's Racing product? Are they known for their quality. They look to be well made, looking at the ones Injection Imports had for sale on Ebay
J's do produce pretty high quality parts, their camber arms are pillow ball and are made of 2017S aluminum. I'd stick to rubber bushed ones for a daily if I were you.

Altecians

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Didn't realise the Eibach were as bad, I'm sure there is a brand that won't start rusting, seems a shame to have to paint over them. My Hardrace look awful, all orange :( when the weathers better I'll have to give them a lick of paint I guess...

You can get the SHG steering rack slider from Mike.Williams, it's a wort while upgrade for sure as Altecians mentioned.
These were on the 5 for a couple years:

Cleans right up though.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the advice! :)

I am going to inspect the bushes when I fit the control arms. As I know that some have been done and uprated to Superpro. If any look ruined will replace them too.

What is the steering rack slider like to fit? I do all the work on my car myself, but never touched anything to do with the steering rack.

I found Buddy Club camber arms on TDI North's website last night, anyone got any experience with them? And what sort of rust prevention could I use? In the past I have just covered threads with copper slip.

spooke

Advanced Member
subtronics said:
Thanks for all the advice! :)

I am going to inspect the bushes when I fit the control arms. As I know that some have been done and uprated to Superpro. If any look ruined will replace them too.

What is the steering rack slider like to fit? I do all the work on my car myself, but never touched anything to do with the steering rack.

I found Buddy Club camber arms on TDI North's website last night, anyone got any experience with them? And what sort of rust prevention could I use? In the past I have just covered threads with copper slip.
I wouldn't go for the Buddy Clubs... apparently they also don't offer much adjustment. Hardrace only rust on the exposed metal, so some grease would help slow that.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Well I ain't touching them then! That is shocking. Might just go hardrace, can get match LCA and camber kit then. :)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
That picture isn't right. Something is amiss there for sure....

I stripped mine down, greased them up, still have full adjustment and the blue paint shines up like new with a wipe over ;) for the money you cannot go wrong

Fez

Advanced Member
I went for skunk2 rear camber arms, as the poly bush in them acts like a bearing.
Function 7 rear lcas, again the bush acts like a bearing.. and they are by far the best looking imho.
Just replaced my front arm bushes (were energy suspension) with super pro caster increase bushes, nothing wrong with the energy, just wanted the caster increase. Iirc the energy ones are about half the price of the super pro.
Shg slider, was an absolute bitch to fit but was crazy how much play was in oem one.
Area/tegiwa shortened arms.
Buddyclub RCAs
I have got the energy rear bushes to fit too, but as i know that will take a while to fit i haven't got round to doing them yet, but apparently they make a huge difference on the rear.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Ended up buying Hardrace LCA, Progress ARB kit, and Skunk2 Camber arms. :)

Will check the bushes when I am fitting all the gear. And waiting for Htune to get some more Hardrace gear in, so I can do the droplinks at the front. Will also get some new genuine track rod ends. Exciting times.