Suspension Springs not turning smoothly (top mounts?)

Ben_DC5

Hi all,

After a bit of advice if anybody has any thoughts please:

Basically started to notice a knocking/klunking sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds (reversing, parking etc.)

Did my usual check on here and compiled a list of things to check:

- Inboard passenger joint on driveshaft
- Anit rollbar drop links
- Gearbox or enging mounts
- Driveshaft
- Steering rack
- Top mounts

After jacking the car up last night I quickly found the source but I need a bit of advice or thoughts on the exact part/issue I have.

Basically the front left supspension spring is not turning smoothly in its upper holder (top mounts?) when turning the wheel left and right. Checked the right side and its smooth as butter – the left not so much!
It isn’t bad and doesn’t happen all the time – mainly slow speeds and with a fair amount of lock, in fairness it tends to be as you go from one lock or one way to the other. Just not turning smoothly in its top holder and klunks.

Now I spoke to Dave Johnson today at Steels Honda and asked for a price on the shock absorber (part 13 on the diagram attached).

What I wanted to ask was whether this is the common part to go – would I not need to get parts 11, 8 & 3 also – could they not be the culprits?

Tell me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the spring sit into the housing of part 3 which screws into part 8? Given that could my issue be around this area rather than higher up where the shock is?

Or am I totally off the mark and is this a complete kit i.e (MOUNT COMP., L. FR. SHOCK ABSORBER) including parts 3, 8, 11, 12 and 13. It just seems part no.12 and 13 point to the same area, my thoughts were that maybe part 13 is the whole upper assembly kit?

Also not sure if this matters but mine is the facelift version on standard suspension – I remember reading there are some differences on the suspension but can’t remember what exactly!

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Ben

-- attached the image but did not upload - will try to get it hosted somewhere.

George K

Advanced Member
99% sure that you only need parts 8 & 11 - I have certainly bought them separately, as I had to convert my coil overs back to the standard top mount, as solid top mounts are now banned in my class.

Vindots

Advanced Member
Mate, are you still using your factory suspension?
I had the same problem but it was my coilovers though and the problem was the top mount pillow ball bearing on my camber plate..

So i would assume you got top mount problem.

dc5types02

Hello im new here and just telling you, i have same problem & i just fix it finally !!!

I change top plate (because the middle off the top plate was craked (12))
+ bearing because turning is hard (11)

After it's all good

HERE is original post http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=40127162#post40127162