Suspension top mount - Is this safe?

Josh16v

Advanced Member
FItted a J's Racing etd and brace today...
I lined the underneath of the brace brackets with dynamat to absorb some vibrations etc, and then bolted it all on.

The nuts are all nice and tight, however you can't really see much of the thread poking out the top anymore. A pic might help explain this better....

They're not going to wiggle loose or anything are they? The sound deadening was only about 2mm thick and has squeezed down anyway.
What's the recommended torque for these nuts?

Future

Advanced Member
You could buy some Loctite 222 (threadlock) it is a very light glue/bond if you are worried about it.

I don't know if it would come loose as you have it now, but probably wouldn't risk it with vibrations etc.

HTH

Chris.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
1.5 threads sticking out would be recomended, but as its not under any real load im sure they will be fine. however i wouldnt have fitted the dynamat as it could add flex into the system your strut brace is supposed to tie everything together, if the dynamat insulates the brace from the strut top then it wont be very effective.

Gpack

Ideally a thread or two would be good, but the nut looks like it has full engagement of the top mount stud. Check where the thread finishes on the stud, relative to where the nut is now to give you an idea of how much thread is engaged
If it was say only half way through the nut it would be a risk running around like this

If you are worried perhaps source a thinner material than the dynamat you have used, to improve the contact between the nut and the stud

:xgrin:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the more i think about this the more i am convinced you should remove the dynamat, from a safety perspective, as not only can the strut brace move but also the strut itself, any material that was softer than steel will allow the strut itself to deflect under the high loads, the dynamat will compress to nothing while cornering, which would allow a gap to appear under the nut.
i dont think the strut would fall off easily but it could well be loose and make the handling feel loose to say the least.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
I'm sure I saw someone else use the same technique on here? I just didn't want any rattles haha!

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Okay thanks for the feedback lads, i'll whip it off later.
If the etd shakes the cabin I know who to blame :lol: ;)

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Just scraped it all off, what a mess!

Whats the torque setting for the topmount bolts?

kingston

Advanced Member
I take it you didnt realise the side affects of an ETD or uprated mounts before you fitted them then?

Josh16v

Advanced Member
I did, just did a LOT of reading up on it and people have been saying they didn't get any noticable vibration etc.
Seen that some people put rubber washers between the damper and it's brackets too to reduce vibration aswell.

Haven't got engine mounts and don't want them :D

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't want the vibration just turn the damper down . It will reduce it's effectiveness but will still work.

Whatever is used to insulate will also reduce it's effectiveness so you may as well have all the bolts fitted correctly and just reduce the damper pressure

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Don't J's struts come with (metal) washers to mount underneath the fitting plates on the strut? Mine did.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Didn't buy this new buddy. Used rubber washers between the damper and it's brackets though to reduce the rattling.

Finally got my samco hoses today so I can start putting the car back together and get it fired up / adjusted :)