Taking all the wheels off and sitting on 4 axle stands

larz

Advanced Member
So i had to get my wheels refurbed, and found a great deal, but it was a 600km round trip which my daily driver is far more suited to. So i needed to take the wheels off the integra, and I couldn't get my hands on a set of temporary wheels.

All you need is a decent 2 tonne jack and 4 axle stands. Make sure you perform this whole procedure on a flat tarmac or concrete. See pics of axle stand placement at the end.
I already had the jack and I bought 4 axle stands (2x set of 2) from halfords for 50euro.
  1. 1. Firstly, loosen the nuts on your wheels. Don't undo them, just make sure they're not tight. I did all 4 before i started, because i didn't want to potentially knock the car off the axle stands.
  2. Undo the handbrake and make sure the car is not in gear. You're on a flat surface, the car is going nowhere.
  3. Although there are 2 jacking points, 1 front centre and 1 rear centre, my jack did not go high enough to prop an axle stand underneath. I started with the back right. The jacking point is pretty easy to find. Usually any place that has bolts visible, or areas that are clearly your chassis are fine for jacking.
  4. Jack the rear right of the car high enough so that you can stick an axle stand under the axle. Jack it only slightly higher than the axle stand, but high enough so that the rear right wheel is a few cm clear of the ground.
  5. Let the jack down gently and verify that the axle stand is firmly in place (Do not touch it, it should be clearly visible. Most axle stands have 3 legs, so just make sure that all legs are firmly on the ground. You'll have to get good and low to the ground. Don't take any shortcuts. Do not take off your wheel yet, this can be done at the very end.
  6. Now go to the other side of the car and do the same. Once you feel the car lifting slightly, stop and check that your first axle stand is still firmly in place. Once the car is high enough, stick the axle stand underneath and let the jack down slowly. You should now have your car's rear end up in the air.
  7. Next, you're going to go to one of the front corners. I found that the jacking point closest to the wheel well was the best one to use. Lift the front of the car with the jack. It is far more difficult than the rear of the car. Again be sure not to lift the car any higher than you need to, and don't be alarmed when you notice that the rear axle stand on the side that you're jacking is no longer supporting the back of the car! Once you have the front axle stand in place and you let the jack down (really slowly) you will notice that everything goes back to normal. You should now have 3 wheels up in the air.
  8. Do the same on the other side now. this is a lot easier than the other 3. pop the axle stand under the chassis and let your jack down again.
  9. Now you're cleared to take the wheels off. Just loosen the nuts and you might need to whack the tyre with the wheel brace to have it come loose. This wont affect your axle stands in the slightest.
Hope this helps someone at some stage. I said i'd post it up. Feel free to ask any questions.

The jack i used:

Rear right axle stand position.

Rear Left:

Front Right:

Front Left:

Before I took the wheels off:

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Very handy post. B)
I did the same this weekend too. Wheels back this week after a much needed refurb.
Full brembo paint refurb underway also.

Justintian

Advanced Member
Great post, I have to say if you lowered you car, it is very unlikely you could get the lift into the front lift point without scratch the front lip, so the best would be do it from two side of front wheels.
I also found if you place the rear axel stand under the rear subframe, you get more room to move around. Ps, place the wheels and tyres underneath just in case...

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
JT's said:
Great post, I have to say if you lowered you car, it is very unlikely you could get the lift into the front lift point without scratch the front lip, so the best would be do it from two side of front wheels.
I also found if you place the rear axel stand under the rear subframe, you get more room to move around. Ps, place the wheels and tyres underneath just in case...
have you got a pic of the location of the jack points next to the front side wheels?

or can you identify on any of the above pics?

noob here going to tackle an oil change for the first time next week :)