Taking engine out, any general maintenance recommended?

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I am taking the engine/box out for the reasons outlined below and I was wondering if there is any general maintenance that I should consider doing at the same time?

new timing chain
ARP head studs
head gasket
All new seals and gaskets - quite a lot of oil on the outside of the head and block
RBC intake
4-2-1 manifold with decat
high rpm oil pump

TSX 6th gear
new synchro's
FD - not decided upon yet, either OEM 5.3 or MFactory 5.46.

EP3 EPS
AC Removal

General clean of the bay or even respray

Started taking the front end apart and looking forward to getting stuck in :)

Cheers!

kwiatu

Advanced Member
Why you want to change head gasket ?
if its fine i would stay with your one, you will need to get your block and head planned to do it proper.
also DC5 power steering is working awesome for me, and ep3 EPS pretty sucks - if you will buy new rack it would be fine, but didnt seen company who refurbish them, and seen some which refurb DC5 racks..

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
You don't need to take the engine out surely to do the above work unless you are insistent on changing the HG? Also consider sump baffle.

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be running nitrous on the car and its preventative measures in case I want to turn the wick up to 100hp shots, I'll be running a dual stage system. It'll make everything else a million times easier to get done if I take the engine out, won't take too long tbh, plus the whole engine looks grubby as hell!

George657

Advanced Member
Could have the engine out in a couple hours. It's not hard.
I'd actually consider taking the engine out to change the clutch if your at home on the drive.

Unless you have a ramp of course then drop the subframe, but it's really not that difficult lol.

If your taking the engine out I'd consider the following...

Wire tuck
Shg steering rack slider
Battery relocation
Steam clean and paint the engine bay (you'll understand if you do battery relocation)
And just a general tidy up.

That's what I did when mine was out.

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Hah yea, I have started taking the battery tray off and the more I remove stuff the worse it looks underneath. I have got an Odyssey PC680 battery to go in. If I can remove 50kg I'll be happy.

I have not heard of the steering rack sliders but will look into it, cheers!

I'll start a build thread at some point to document what I am doing with the car, there is a good few things I am doing to it, nothing massive.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Can do the headgasket with the engine in place but saying that, I'd take the engine box out aswell to do all that so you can do a load more

Mudgey

Advanced Member
The engine/box are absolutely covered in oil and shite so its definitely coming out for a proper clean and refresh, head gasket wise I am still in two minds as to take the head off...