Tarox Brake Discs

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Just thought i would let you all know of a new brake disc option for the DC5.

At my last track day at castle combe september last year, i managed to warp my standard front discs so decided that an upgrade was in order, told this to my local (Power Station in Tewksbury) who suggested they would speak to Tarox and place an order, as they would be able to supply a set of good heat treated discs at a reasonable price. I didnt hear from them for some time and so i spent several weeks trying to find a set of suitable heat treated discs that wouldnt break the bank, and found the options were of course quite limited, in fact non existent for under £300. Eventually it turned out that Tarox would have to have them specially made due to not having the casts in stock, so based on the fact that they agreed to do it for around £260 i jumped at the chance and chose the F2000.

Just before they were delivered i spoke to Nick at Tarox Uk and he explained that due to diffculties with getting hold of a cast of a high enough quality they would only be able to supply my discs as a one off, BUT they would be able to supply 2 peice discs going fowards. I received the discs a couple of weeks ago and had them fitted, but unfortunately i havent been able to test them and bed the brakes in due to my clutch being knackerd. Thankfully this is now being replaced by TGM next week along with a baffled sump ;)

So the long and the short of it is, 2 peice racing discs (also suitable for fast road use) made from billet steel with fixed or floating bell are now available through Tarox UK at £479 + VAT. Speak to Nick on 0870 7772727 and he will help you out.

Also here is a link to the news item on their website http://en.tarox.com/news.html

I think you will find that comparitively speaking for a new set of discs, this is quite cheap for a 2 peice! (infact if i was feeling flush right now, i would sell the 1 peice and get the 2 lol!)

Hope this is helpfull

Max

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Yep still got standard calipers, only changed the pads and added braided brake lines. I will post a picture of my discs on when i get a chance, dont want anyone to see the state of my wheels and calipers at the moment, Porthos will have a small baby elephant if he see's them :xlol: .

Nick said the 2 peice will be based on the dimentions of my discs, so yeah should be able to retain the original calipers :-k

NiCkO

Advanced Member
these look superb IMO. i had the sport JPN discs on my EM1 with nothing special EBC ultimax pads and JEBUS did it stop. so two piece and brembos on the itr's i can imagine a cracking bit on kit.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
these look superb IMO. i had the sport JPN discs on my EM1 with nothing special EBC ultimax pads and JEBUS did it stop. so two piece and brembos on the itr's i can imagine a cracking bit on kit.
My faves are the F2000 as you never see cars with this sort of curved groove, nice to see something a bit different. Nick you have me salivating over the potential stopping power now, cant wait for the new clutch so i can actually drive it again!

firthy22

Advanced Member
They look a good disc for the price, would have considered these myself if I hadn't just bought some Dixcel slotted :(

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Yep I was considering the dixcel hs but a bit expensive and didn't want to wait months for them from what ive heard, ended up waiting 5 months for the Tarox ones anyway! Lol

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
claire has them on the s2k, they are good, i know a few people who have raced with their bigger kit and been very impressed, Adrian smith from fensport is one such guy

NiCkO

Advanced Member
My faves are the F2000 as you never see cars with this sort of curved groove, nice to see something a bit different. Nick you have me salivating over the potential stopping power now, cant wait for the new clutch so i can actually drive it again!
tbh once they are bedded in you will have so much confidence in your brakes. i used to late break from 100+ (on a private runway) and not an ounce of fade atall only thing is that i got through a sets of pads in 3 months quite easily :/

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Yep really excited now to see how well these will perform especially on track, the guys at Power Station were kind enough to put some temperature indicating paint on the outer edge of the discs too so I can keep an eye on the temps when I'm back in the paddock. Hopefully I will be able to gauge when they've had enough abuse, and what I can get away with to keep them at optimum temps.

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
They are nice disc disc indeed! I had a set of Tarox 6 BBK, F2000 disc & corsa pads in my old gti-6 and they were excellent. The experience of the pedal feel and stopping power were overall better than the DC5 brembo setup in my opinion. I have use the brakes on the limit on track a few times, and it gives me so much confident on late braking lap after lap.

Seeing that my current brembos are needing service and my bro's EP3 is needing better brakes, I have just ordered another set of Tarox 6 BBK, with anodised red calipers, 328mm twp piece disc. Expensive with definitely worthwhile :xgrin:

Btw how is the disc holding up now Max?

dc55_11

Advanced Member
I had TAROX discs on my old Civic and as soon as I put them on the difference was night and day, in fact when I went to test the Teg for the first time the standard setup with the Brembos was spungy compared to the Tarox discs no doubt!

Mark_teg

Staff member
dc55_11 said:
I had TAROX discs on my old Civic and as soon as I put them on the difference was night and day, in fact when I went to test the Teg for the first time the standard setup with the Brembos was spungy compared to the Tarox discs no doubt!
A disc is not going to make a difference to a spongy pedal. The 'problem' will be in the system itself somewhere (fluid, lines, bulkhead movement, etc).

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
A disc is not going to make a difference to a spongy pedal. The 'problem' will be in the system itself somewhere (fluid, lines, bulkhead movement, etc).
But a better, larger disc is surely going to improve braking and get rid of some of the sponginess otherwise people wouldn't bother upgrading in the first place?

So what you're saying is that something like poor brake lines or poor/lack of fluid is what would cause brakes to feel spongy in the first instance?

I'm no mechanic but I'm just curious.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yes, just a simple fluid change will make a difference. :) pads and braided lines further progression, and disks will then complete and compliment the overall feel brilliantly.

Every aspect will improve how they perform, but what mark is trying to say i believe is that changing a disk due to a spongy feeling pedal wont really cure the issue. New, good fluid and lines with pads will if that makes sense.

Mark_teg

Staff member
As above :)
Also a larger (diameter) disc will increase leverage and have a larger surface area for more friction (with the right pads).
But the tarox are standard size anyway, so that's a different kettle of fish :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers guys, interesting to know.

I thought that by sticking on larger discs, pads and calipers was all that was needed to really improve the braking in addition to brake lines and better fluid.

I might invest in some braided lines before going for better pads and see if it improves things.