Tax on DC5

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've gone to renew my tax online and it won't let me as it says the database is unable to locate an MOT for my car.

The MOT expires on the 18th of June as I bought the car from Torque GT on that date this time last year.

I checked the receipt they gave me and on the section regarding MOT it simply has a line through it. I have taxed the car online 6 months ago via the Gov.uk website before so can't understand why it won't work this time.

It says to allow it 24 hours, what do you think's going on there? How come the receipt has a line through where it says MOT, come to think of it they didn't actually give me an MOT certificate when I bought it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Just checked and that's my old EK9 info that the above relates to not the DC5.

The date still ties in though but I can't find an MOT certificate anywhere.

Think I'm best contacting Torque and see what info they have on there as I don't want to drive it if it has no MOT.

Erm

Advanced Member
Because its due an mot now to get new road tax. If its 18th june expiry then you are within the 28 days now so if you get it motd now it won't expire til 18th june 2015

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Go on the mot history. Enter your v5 doc number and it wilk bring up all the mot history, date, pkace tested etc

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Go on MOT Check site online - put in your reg and V5 document reference number and it will tell you when it expires :)

I had this a few years ago using the online system and it scared the life out of me that I had no MOT but it's simply if your new tax is starting from the month the MOT is due to expire in the online system won't let you use it as you could not re MOT it.
It's daft like, but don't panic just yet :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers everyone, wasn't aware you could check the MOT like that.

So basically I'm going to have to MOT before I can tax it then right?

Benneh

Advanced Member
You might be able to pop in to a Post Office and get it done there provided you've got the current certificate still. I think the same month rule only applies to online taxing, could be wrong though!

Ezza

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

You cannot tax the car if the MOT & Tax expires in the same month.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

Correct. I have this issue every year as I pay for my MOT, Tax and insurance in the same week! Lol

MOT 2 weeks before due date
Insurance 2 weeks before due date
Then Tax as soon as I can afterwards.

It all ends at the end of February too so not long to save after Christmas. 😔

HTH

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nightmare,

Don't know how I'm going to do this now as I don't have the funds for both. Going to have to scab some funds off my folks to get it through it's MO, hopefully it won't need anything doing. :(

Rom

Advanced Member
Ezza said:
You cannot tax the car if the MOT & Tax expires in the same month.
What ?!

Is this right ? Clearly ive never tried it, i usually split my mot, tax, insurance. Though my teg will be taxed mot and insured all close :S

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Did the MOT check and it's not bringing anything up whatsoever on my car, no history or anything.

What else is strange is I've been sent two tax reminder documents from the DVLA both with different reference numbers on them, very weird.

The car's booked in on Monday to have a check over and then a MOT. I'm hoping there's no problems with it otherwise I'll have no choice but to put it off the road until it's fixed and MOT'd.

Rom

Advanced Member
Have you spoke to Torque mate?

I'm not sure how this works... But mine has a mot, yet isn't even registered in the UK yet! So it is very likely it won't be tied to my reg when it arrives.
Would be done off the chassis number I guess.
I'm an mot tester, and I still don't know how this works!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

XavP

Advanced Member
I don't know of this helps at all but I got my car from Torque GT and I have a MOT Certificate from them.

Just had a look at my receipt too but can't find anywhere where it mentions about an MOT just to see if it was the same.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Erm

Advanced Member
The first mot is likely done on the vin number to be registered but the dvla should have then sent it back once registered with the mot on the registration plate number

Shiro_DC5

When I bought mine from Torque, I naively assumed it would have 12 months MOT but in fact only had 10 months. Could yours have expired recently or is it definately due on June 18th? (I didn't quite get what you meant by a line crossing through it?)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I haven't spoken to Torque.

It's going in tomorrow but I doubt it will pass it's MOT if it needs some work doing to it.

Very strange though that it's not appearing on the database. I'm going to give the MOT helpline a call and see what information they have on it. As many of you have said, it's probably been done off the VIN/chassis number, strange that I don't have an MOT certificate.

With regards to the line, it's just whoever gave me the receipt had put a line in beiro through where it says 'valid MOT' but that was in reference to my old EK9 that I part exchanged for the DC5. I'd gotten things a tad mixed up on my part.