Tax?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
So basically after having so much difficulty with the new MOT laws here in NI. My car has been out of tax since the end of jan start of feb.. But i havent driven the car at all this month bar to the MOT centre and back home.. When i go to tax my car now will they tax is from when it ran out i.e end of jan start of feb or will they start it from end of feb start of march?

If they do start it from end of jan start of feb again how do i go about getting this changed to start of march? Do i have to sorn the car off the road since start of feb just to re tax it in march?

chrex

Advanced Member
Should go from the start of the month in which it's taxed, so if you do it today, they can make it run until 28/2/14.

Riz

Advanced Member
On the mainland if the car is sorned, the tax will start at the first day of the same month you tax it. So if you tax it at the end of the month you will have paid for nearly a whole moth of tax you havn't used. Not sure if it differs for you though sorry.

chrex

Advanced Member
If you tax it within last 5 days of the month they can start it from the next month. :) That way you're not losing a month. They should ask you when you want it to start too...just say 1st March.

Riz

Advanced Member
chrex said:
If you tax it within last 5 days of the month they can start it from the next month. :) That way you're not losing a month. They should ask you when you want it to start too...just say 1st March.
That's only if the car is already taxed. Again, not sure about NI

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Hmmm awfully confusing.. May have to take a dander into them but itll be jammed at this time of the month :-(

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Just to confirm for everyone in NI.. This may be the same in UK also..

Rang the DVLNI office just to find out for sure.. Because of the new MOT rules i havent been able to drive my car since start of feb and the car hasnt been retaxed since

Rang dvlni and they said the car has to be sorned if not re taxed within the first 14 days otherwise there will be fines issued etc

So you can just ring up and have it sorned then it will start from the first of the month you tax it in!

Hopefully all being well car will pass now on wednesday night and get her taxed on thursday so i can start driving it again!!! GRRRR!!!