Tdi north drop in cams

PalfyR

Advanced Member
Hi guys I've been debating weather to get a pair of these installed but can't decide if I should or go the supercharger route? My car currently is running 243bhp 171lbft with the following mods
Tegiwa intake
Tegiwa mani
Fubujitsu rm01a cat back
Rbc
70mm hybrid racing tb port matched
K100

Now don't get me wrong the teg pulls hard and feels great since adding all these mods but I'd just like some more power the drop in cams are £1500 fitted and mapped were a jrsc is anywhere between 3-5k fitted and mapped depending if it's new or second hand. Obviously price is a huge factor but what would each option be like to live with on a day to day basis as the car is my daily and also would the cams give me the power I crave?

All comments welcome I just can't decide????

mike.williams

Advanced Member
probably gain about 10hp on the tdi cams, dc5 cams are fairly high lift from the factory.

you would be better changing the final drive

mike.williams

Advanced Member
i would do the final drive first then cams if thats what you fancy.

mines not going to be running mega power power 230-235 if im lucky, i have a 5.3 final drive on order to finish it all off

it may be worth holding out and seeing what comes about with the ITB's that tdi north will be doing, sound will be worth it alone

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
5.3 final drive would be a nicer mod, aggressive cams have their downsides aswel, lumpy idle and drivabilty when cold, I'd go for a final drive first.

PalfyR

Advanced Member
What kind of difference would I see with a final drive over stock? I don't really do many motorway miles but what sort of rpm would I see in sixth gear at 70mph?

Mark_teg

Staff member
OEM is 4.7, my 5.1 is 250rpm higher in 6th gear = 3750rpm @ 70mph.

As for driving, the shorter FD has made the car more exciting to drive on a b-road. I've talked about it more in my thread when I had fitted.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Can you fit a shorter final drive and longer 6th?

Would this be a good balance between spirited/ track driving and motorway cruising?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Yes you can. You can fit an EP3 6th gear which deducts about 250rpm IIRC. I'm sure someone used an even lower customised ratio than the EP3 one too but I guess the danger in anything more than the EP3 6th is the effect it may have on 5th to 6th changes. Bear in mind on a 5th to 6th change flat out you'd be doing some serious speeds so unless you're on a track with long straights I can't see you'd ever really notice that issue.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Yes you can. You can fit an EP3 6th gear which deducts about 250rpm IIRC. I'm sure someone used an even lower customised ratio than the EP3 one too but I guess the danger in anything more than the EP3 6th is the effect it may have on 5th to 6th changes. Bear in mind on a 5th to 6th change flat out you'd be doing some serious speeds so unless you're on a track with long straights I can't see you'd ever really notice that issue.
I'm just looking forward to my box breaking so I have an excuse to upgrade it. I was thinking accord 6th and a final drive.

I don't think I've ever done a flat change from 5th to 6th. At oulton park I never got out of 4th, that was my first ever track day but I doubt my speed will increase that much.

Back on topic for the op, I had the tdi nortg drop in cams in my FN2, they were very smooth and no idle issues.

PalfyR

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
I'm just looking forward to my box breaking so I have an excuse to upgrade it. I was thinking accord 6th and a final drive. I don't think I've ever done a flat change from 5th to 6th. At oulton park I never got out of 4th, that was my first ever track day but I doubt my speed will increase that much.Back on topic for the op, I had the tdi nortg drop in cams in my FN2, they were very smooth and no idle issues.
What kind of gains did you see from fitting the cams?

dotty

Advanced Member
At Spa, you can get some serious speeds up down the kemmel straight (140) I don't know any other track you could get that fast on, well perhaps Nurburgring.

Mebz

Advanced Member
What kind of gains did you see from fitting the cams?
My car always made low power so take my results with a pinch of salt, compression across the cylinders was consistent but low as well (170/175 psi).

Originally I had rrc, tegiwa exhaust and hks rsk and it made about ~225bhp ~175lbs/ft, then added toda catback and cams and it made about ~235bhp ~180lbs/ft.

I think most cars with my mods are in the 250bhp mark.

The car drove well and sounded good but I ended up putting it back to standard and selling which was good because I now have a DC5☺.

PalfyR

Advanced Member
Ok mate cheers think I'm going to try a final drive swap to either a 5.1 or a 5.46. Lots of people saying it's the best mod for gains per £. Think I will replace the clutch at the same time as I don't know how long the current one has been in there? Anyone know the best place to source an oem clutch and the final drive and how many hours labour a garage should charge to do the work?
Cheers 😊

mike.williams

Advanced Member
You can get a 5.3 too. Spoon and j's racing do them. Spoon is cheaper the oem 5.1 but there on back order till july though. J's is usually a month but costs more. Im still waiting on my j's one to turn up