TDI North & Tegiwa Manifold Test/Review

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Had a chat with Luke from Tegiwa at Japfest after seeing there latest manifold (Toda copy) for the K20 that has been produced to a much higher standard than the previous offering I decided to bite the bullet. They needed a test car to try it on and get a dyno reading, so a deal was made and the follwing Friday (20th May) off I went to TDI North to have a few bits done with the manifold at the same time.

All in all I was having a port matched RBC with Buddyclub P1 70mm throttle body fitted (that I already had waiting), the Tegiwa manifold and K100. I already had a Mugen airbox and a Buddyclub Spec 3 exhaust system on the car.

As you can see from the following photos, the latest Tegiwa manifold has much better welds that are all back purged, made from better steel, has a better finish and a larger flexi section.

New Tegiwa Manifold:

Old Tegiwa on the left and there new one on the right:

New Tegiwa on the left and the old one on the right:

New one:

Old one:

Finally, the new one on the car fitted by Ben and Neil @ TDI:

Onto the rest of the work!!

Ben at TDI fitting the RBC and 70mm t/b:

On to the rollers for Paul @ TDI to work his magic:

And finally the result!! A healthy 251.9bhp & 174.7lbft of torque!! Vtec now kicks in at 3700rpm if I plant the throttle or just under 4500rpm part throttle, making this a completely different animal to drive! \:D/

Forgot to mention the Spec 3 with the manifold has now left me deaf, ear plugs are a must!! :lol:

Big thanks to all the guys at TDI especially Ben, Neil and Paul as they didn't finish mapping my car till gone 8:30pm on a Friday evening!! :xcheers:

Thatnks to Luke @ Tegiwa for suppling the manifold!!

firthy22

Advanced Member
Nice to see :) Getting same thing done myself in 5 weeks time by Tdi North. RBC, K100 and Tegiwa header (if they can get it from China in time) 252bhp with a Mugen airbox shows it's not as bad as some people make out.

I have a Mugen airbox and Twinloop so will be interesting to compare results. Really looking forward to it and can't come soon enough.

Dan how far did you have to travel to Tdi and how would you compare the driving now ?

Dan2020

Advanced Member
I agree, the Mugen airbox cannot be as bad as people say, Paul @ TDI even agrees and stated the air temp didn't move more than 3 degrees over ambient during mapping.

From door to door, it was 190 mile drive (3 hours) each way.

As I had a port matched RBC and 70mm throttle body is does make low speed in traffic driving a little bit harder, but nothing to worry about. You'll want to get the engine mount inserts done at the same time, this will help prevent the manifold from cracking as aftermarket manis are prone to this, but this will give more vibration in the car.

Driving it is completely different to how it was before with just the airbox and exhaust on! The power delivery is much earlier with much more torque on tap so you're not having to drop down the gears as much, feels like a much more aggressive car.

Will be interesting to see what you make with the twinloop on and with a stock RBC with stock throttle body!

firthy22

Advanced Member
I already have ESMM's installed, just hope Tegiwa can get the header for me in time, otherwise I'll have to stick with just the Spoon 2-1 decat I have on. Anyway, fingers crossed and I'll let you know when it's done.

hondazzz

Advanced Member
I've recently found out about the Tegiwa header 2nd Version ..more expensive but it looks a better built!I tried searching online for reviews ..couldnt find anything serious...1 day after, this thread pops up!!!Nice timing i guess!!
So from looking at the dyno plot, i guess its a good flowing header?but since it wasnt the only upgrade at the time what Paul said about it?

@DAN2020..ENJOY!! :rolleyes:

firthy22

Advanced Member
What was wrong with V1?
Nothing is actually wrong with V1 and there have been no reports of any problems from what I know but have spoken with Tegiwa and they told it that the new one is just better quality. Back purged welds, longer flex and polished tubing, ofc it is more expensive but still worth the price. Doubt there is much difference performance wise, just looks better (as can be seen in the photos) ansd they are obviously happier with a better quality product.

Just hope they can get before the end of June.

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Nothing is actually wrong with V1 and there have been no reports of any problems from what I know but have spoken with Tegiwa and they told it that the new one is just better qualirt. Back purged welds, longer flex and polished tubing, ofc it is more expensive but still worth the price. Doubt there is much difference performance wise, just looks better (as can be seen in the photos) ansd they are obviously happier with a better quality product.

Just hope they can get before the end of June.

Exactly as Firthy said, no reported problems with version 1, but the quality and finish of version 2 is much better as you can see in the photos.

Dan2020

Advanced Member
How is this compared to the real toda header?

Looking at Yella Fellas for sale thread in the parts section, I would say that this manifold is making just as good power gains, as his car was mapped at TDI north on the same rollers with K pro and has very similar mods to mine, he has the same rbc and throttle body, but toda mani, toda exhaust and aem cold air induction kit and his made "246.7 bhp with around 175lb or torque".

Torque is about the same as mine but 5.2bhp less. This could be down to various factors, but shows that the Tegiwa manifold is performing well and doing what it should be.