Tdi north

WalshDC5

Advanced Member
Just wanting some info on them, I've heard really good things about them, just wanting to know if anyone here has used them? I'm wanting to get a k100 fitted, possibly supplied, and mapped. Will they test the engine before hand to make sure it's healthy ect?

Liam

Advanced Member
They're excellent and it's well worth the money if you have breathing mods. They don't seem to do any testing before the map, unless you suspect a problem and tell them? If the engine runs fine then I wouldn't worry.

I'm pretty sure they fit a KPro ECU to the car with your K100 inside it for the map to be written to. They seem to do dyno runs on high and low cam at each of the degree adjustments the car has on the inlet cam, then use that data to make the necessary alterations and some final power runs.

The mapped K100 is then swapped from the KPro into your standard ECU (the board inside your ECU is modified, so it's pretty much nonreversible - you'll need to buy and fit a different ECU if you ever want to go back to standard), and a road test done. Shouldn't take more than about half a day.

You also get the 4k (I think) RPM launch control and EML shift light unless you tell them otherwise.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've heard bad things about them but also some good things but then again I've never used them. A lot of people do use them and they do clearly know their stuff when it comes to mapping, Rob takes his race car there so he must trust them when it comes to his car.

Will at RDT supposedly does test the engine beforehand to see if there are any issues but you need to pay extra for that.

MrRy

Advanced Member
I wouldn't give anyone my money without them strongly advising on performing a pre-dyno inspection on my car to ensure everything is running spot on. Otherwise if something is wrong, it wastes both our time and my money.

I wouldn't design a user application on an unknown or poorly put together infrastructure - who knows what can go wrong and who's fault it really is for instance.

truupR

Advanced Member
I went up with a mate who had his car mapped at TDi some time ago.

The bloke clearly knew what he was doing (I forget his name) and I know they've got a good reputation for the most part.

What I would say though is the customer service was pretty poor. They seemed very uninterested in engaging in any kind of conversation and just put us to one side for 4/5 hours.

I understand they have a job to do at the end of the day and I'm sure business is booming there with a hefty workload every day. With that said, my friend was paying a considerable amount of money for the job and the service he/we received left a lot to be desired.

I, personally, won't be using them when I get my car mapped for the above reason alone. The service at places like TGM are sublime in comparison.

That said, some really couldn't care less about customer service. If you're like that then yeah I'd recommend..

Max77

Advanced Member
The post above seems to sum them up perfectly.
Really experienced and good at what they do however I think they seem to forget the customer service side. In my opinion they seem to think they'll get the work anyway so they don't have to bother.
I struggled for weeks just receiving a quote for some work done and even after a couple of visits I don't believe a rapport was built up at all.

FireDance

Advanced Member
TGM do not map cars, they use Romain & he either does them at Surrey Rolling Road or Eurospec (where I work). Either way if you use TGM (& they are awesome) your car will need to be taken elsewhere to be mapped

I believe in the past TDI customer service has been stretched as they all work hard. Now Rob is there I think it is better :)

antisanta

Advanced Member
I'm getting mine done in May by either TDi or Romain.. all depends who can do it without me having to take time off work.

I've heard good and bad things, echoing what other people have said really. Paul and the guys obviously know what they're doing. I believe most people have a better experience with Romain in terms of customer service because like you say, it is a considerable amount of money. If the cars getting boosted I'm led to believe Romain might be slightly better at the mapping side of things but if its N/a with breathing mods, as mine is, either or will do.

WalshDC5

Advanced Member
Cheers for all the input guys. The main reason I'm interested in tdi north is due to the bundle price they offer the k100 for. I'd have loved to take it to RDT but I'd have to source a k100 myself then get it mapped there which would be more costly

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I had an engine run lean and burn a hole through the first piston on an rdt map, which cost me £8k in the long run...

Mebz

Advanced Member
I used to take my FN2 to tdi north, I had all the breathing mods done plus their stage 1 cams.

I always had good service. I was there at 9 in the evening once for diagnosis (dodgy O2 sensor), they didn't bat an eyelid working that late. I felt guilty for not letting them go home.

WalshDC5

Advanced Member
Think i'll give them a call tomorrow. Will they be able to bypass the IACV and stop rev hunting and dodgy rev issues?

Liam

Advanced Member
WalshDC5 said:
Think i'll give them a call tomorrow. Will they be able to bypass the IACV and stop rev hunting and dodgy rev issues?
Wouldn't advise bypassing the IACV. They will clean it at extra cost, but I would rectify that yourself before you go tbh - not a hard job.

As for the customer service aspect, I've been twice for mapping - both times I handed over the keys for a half decent brew and they went away and did what I was paying them to do. No complaints from me.

I also wouldn't hesitate to use Romain - can't go wrong with him or TDI. Heard a few too many horror stories about RDT to consider going anywhere near that place.

WalshDC5

Advanced Member
had it cleaned a couple of times but still having the same issue of it hunting, only seems to happen when its cold and will on occasion idle high (2k) after driving hard. What's the downside to bypassing the IACV?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Bypassing means constant revs so you'd need to raise idle enough to cover any draw such as aircon and electrical items.
Coyote has his switched off, but with around a 2k idle when coming to a stop the car will keep driving unless you are careful with the clutch and did seem a pain to drive.

Liam

Advanced Member
WalshDC5 said:
had it cleaned a couple of times but still having the same issue of it hunting, only seems to happen when its cold and will on occasion idle high (2k) after driving hard. What's the downside to bypassing the IACV?
They are a total pain but you should be able to rectify it with a little effort. Worth a go before parting with any money.

Try completely submerging the metal part in a strong parts degreaser and spin it. I've even heard of people leaving theirs submerged in the likes of petrol overnight. I then used a rag wrapped round a small jewellers screwdriver to fish any remaining bits of crap from inside the ICV - a small pipe cleaner type brush contraption would probably do an even better job. Finish off with a spray of oil - even better if it has PTFE in it.

Rom

Advanced Member
I used tdi last year for a remap on mine. Very happy with the transformation.

They will check the oil and coolant before hand. As they told me my oil was over filled. Which I do on purpose.
Other than that, the only sort of health checks they could do, would be compression test, check spark plugs, valve clearances. None of which I'd consider part of their job. Certainly not unless the cost was substantially more. I believe the owner should be happy the car is in good health. Or why are they modifying and mapping it.

As for customer service. Yes, it could be improved. But it wasn't bad by any means.
I think they are just very busy, and are inundated with the same questions everyday from loads of people. A lot of people will waste their time, or be looking for essentially free remote diagnosis.
They also need to get the work done, so while as a customer. We would love to be involved, and chat, and ask a hundred questions. They are running a business. If the next customers appointment time is late, because they spent too long chatting with the previous customer. One will be happy, and one won't. It's a fine balance to strike. And there will always be unhappy customers no matter what.

Paul is very knowledgeable, certainly knows his stuff.
I can't speak for Romain, as I haven't used him. I can tell you why I chose tdi though.

You can find vast history of what they have done, lots of high power turbo builds. Race and time attack cars etc. They also have mapped for oem, spoon, and other garages that claim to remap, but just send it to Paul.
They seemed to me, to be more involved in design and development of kits and products.
Also they are an in-house tuner. Rather than subletting to a tuner, using someone else's dyno. That's not to knock Euro or Romain. They also have a good reputation. That's just the reasons I made my decision.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

integraleo

Advanced Member
I'm going there end of April for my charger upgrade. Up until now I've used Romain who is an awesome tuner and has mapped some serious cars over the years. The only reason I'm going tdi is because im going to be 220+ miles away from home from either eurospec or tdi and if I have any issues with sensors or parts tdi have a lot of stuff on the shelf. Nothing worse than being that far from home ready for tuning and have issues!
Also picking up a car part from a guy that lives just by tdi.
On side note I'm having iacv issue at the minute too. Been cleaned and even swapped with another one but not fixed the issue. Considering blanking it off and upping idle to around 1600rpm. Had so many issues with iacv over my 5 years ownership I'm fed up of it! Must have been cleaned 8 times and even replaced for brand new one and after 12 months it's back again grrrr

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I think if it were me and I'd want a tune up I'd probably go to Automek as they seem to be getting very good feedback, either that or AP tuning in Ireland.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
i will be taking my rotrex teg to 10k racing in leicester for a map tweak, they do lots of work on all sorts of hondas, including beppes beast on here!

good news for anyone in the midlands too...