Tegiwa Carbon Airbox on Facelift 2005 DC5 & options?

MorttisMachine

Morning all, I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a DC5 from Torque GT, should have it in a few more weeks. It's a 2005 facelift.

I've been looking exhaust, header and induction kit options. I was looking at the Tegiwa carbon airbox but have been advised it won't fit a 2005 facelift due to the location of the standard strut brace, can anyone advise is there a way to fit that kit or what other induction kits I should be looking at that will fit my engine bay? Links below to the 3 products I'm looking at.

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/dc5/intakes/tegiwa-carbon-airbox-honda-integra-type-r-dc5-01-04.html

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/dc5/exhaust/skunk2-megapower-r-exhaust-70mm-02-06-honda-integra-type-r-dc5.html

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/dc5/exhaust/skunk2-alpha-exhaust-manifold-header-02-06-honda-integra-dc5-02-05-civic-type-r-ep3.html

Thanks
Chris

Chewy

Advanced Member
1. Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the Forum!

2. I'm 99% sure the Tegiwa (Gruppe M copy) carbon intake will fit over the OEM strut brace as there's no difference in the bay between the PFL/FL (Google images 'Gruppe M DC5' for visual confirmation), however if you do find there's an issue it's a perfect excuse for a new shiny aftermarket strut brace that clears it such as Spoon or J's racing to name a few.

*Bear in mind that the Tegiwa intake will require you to cut the scuttle panel to fit the carbon air scoop and replacements aren't the easiest to come by should you change your mind and want to revert back to OEM.... They can also move around and vibrate on the scuttle so usually needs securing with some sticky foam or velcro.

3. Skunk2 Mega Power R (70MM) - Nothing wrong with these as long as you like loud exhausts, I personally had the 60mm version mated to my OEM manifold at the time and it was a great noise, but very loud on overrun and prone to drone, other than that fitment was good, no fouling on the chassis rails like some can, but the exhaust tip is quite large so did sit a little close to the underside of the bumper (I ended up heating up and bending the hangers slightly to gain clearance).

4. Skunk2 headers historically are a poor fit, there's plenty more manifolds available that are tried and tested which are priced similarly, DC Sports, Tegiwa, etc.

Just my opinions of course, but hope that helps somewhat.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Yes it should fit, never heard of one not fitting because it's a FL.

I think Midnight is thinking of selling his Gruppe M, there's also one on Facebook for sale. You won't have to hack the scuttle then as you'll get a moulded one with the intake.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
MorttisMachine said:
Thanks Sam, is this the Gruppe M you are referring to http://hondaperformanceparts.co.uk/gruppem-air-intake-system-integra-dc5-type-r

Any idea why the price differnece is so much between this and the Tegiwa version?
Gruppe M isn't available to buy new anymore, those prices are what they used to be new.

Gruppe M is the genuine intake and regarded as one of the top companies for intakes for performance cars. The Tegiwa version is a copy of this design and they use their own filter design. The Gruppe M uses a K and N filter.

They both do the same job and look almost identical but with the Gruppe M you got a moulded scuttle panel that channels air into the intake. With the Tegiwa version you will have to cut a hole into your original scuttle. If you ever wanted to go back to OEM after cutting, second hand scuttle panels are becoming expensive.

Second hand Gruppe M's start at around £400. You can also buy a Mugen Intake which is quieter than the Gruppe but is similar design to the original OEM intake so no cutting required. Second hand these start at £300, if you're looking at new around £650-750.

MorttisMachine

SamDC5 said:
Gruppe M isn't available to buy new anymore, those prices are what they used to be new.

Gruppe M is the genuine intake and regarded as one of the top companies for intakes for performance cars. The Tegiwa version is a copy of this design and they use their own filter design. The Gruppe M uses a K and N filter.

They both do the same job and look almost identical but with the Gruppe M you got a moulded scuttle panel that channels air into the intake. With the Tegiwa version you will have to cut a hole into your original scuttle. If you ever wanted to go back to OEM after cutting, second hand scuttle panels are becoming expensive.

Second hand Gruppe M's start at around £400. You can also buy a Mugen Intake which is quieter than the Gruppe but is similar design to the original OEM intake so no cutting required. Second hand these start at £300, if you're looking at new around £650-750.

Ideally making no modifications would be the way to go, I noticed that Tegiwa also have this but I think you still have to modify the scuttle panel.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
You get the scoop with the Tegiwa version but not scuttle unfortunately. There are some guides to cutting it on here if you do decide to go with the Tegiwa version. If you contact Midnight on the forum I think he was selling his Gruppe M with moulded scuttle. All you would have to do then is bolt it on. 😃

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Here's mine, they look awesome in the bay. Oh and congratulations on the car mate, you'll love it. 😃

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Yes there's no difference at all I believe, never heard of one not fitting. The intake has a swan neck on it so it fits over the strut brace. I've also got my standard strut brace on with the J's and I had no issues.

MorttisMachine

Thanks, the only reason I asked is because of what Tegiwa stated, this was their reply to when I asked if their version would fit a 2005 facelift DC5.

"The strut brace is the only issue with fitting our airbox to a facelift DC5, as the design is different to a pre-facelift. There is no other differences, but obviously the strut brace would need to be changed or removed to run it."

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The carbon weave on the Gruppe M is vastly superior to the Tegiwa one.

For what it's worth I've had a Gruppe M and Mugen and my car made more power with the Mugen and it fits without any issue.

Mardgee

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
The carbon weave on the Gruppe M is vastly superior to the Tegiwa one.

For what it's worth I've had a Gruppe M and Mugen and my car made more power with the Mugen and it fits without any issue.
Interesting that the mugen makes more power since everyone loves a Gruppe M.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
There's lots of things that are loved and hyped on forums whereas in reality that's all it is - hype.

People used to slate the twinloop and said it doesn't make power. Then dotty bought one and made over 250 bhp with it.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Mardgee said:
Interesting that the mugen makes more power since everyone loves a Gruppe M.
2-3HP on a non mapped car. I'd like to see both intakes mapped on the same car on the same day.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
2-3HP on a non mapped car. I'd like to see both intakes mapped on the same car on the same day.

10 bhp on my mapped car, loads of torque increase.

Then again the previous map was Romain so that's probably part of it.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Intakes won't really do much in regards of power, it's such a tiny amount it's arguable. I love my Gruppe because the sound is awesome. The OEM Airbox is a good design just heavy and it's silent.

Mardgee

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
There's lots of things that are loved and hyped on forums whereas in reality that's all it is - hype.

People used to slate the twinloop and said it doesn't make power. Then dotty bought one and made over 250 bhp with it.
You have to remember forum hype is worth at least 5hp ;)
I‘m looking at both tbh as love the noise of the Gruppe M but can‘t argue with a brand like Mugen.