Tegiwa Gruppe M rep water intake

Bradley

So, it has happened a few times now when I've been driving back from work in heavy rain my intake sounds as if it has took water in into the engine or so it seems. Basically the car will go kind of lumpy and gurgle slightly as well as the gearbox feeling bubbly almost. This obviously shouldn't be happening but the only thing I can put it down to is the intake with the scoop being above the bonnet on the scuttle panel.

I can't really think of anything else that would be causing the issue. Has anyone else witnessed anything similar before? If so how could I prevent it with a hydro shield of some sort?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
The Gruppe M/Tegiwa copy have a drain hole at the bottom of intake housing. Sometimes they can get clogged with debris. It's worth taking it off and making sure it's clear.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Bradley

SamDC5 said:
The Gruppe M/Tegiwa copy have a drain hole at the bottom of intake housing. Sometimes they can get clogged with debris. It's worth taking it off and making sure it's clear.

I'll have a check tomorrow mate, is it possible for it to take in water itself rather than drain?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Bradley said:
I'll have a check tomorrow mate, is it possible for it to take in water itself rather than drain?

I have a Gruppe M and driven in torrential rain and never suffered any issues mate.

Mebz

Advanced Member
I've had a tegiwa in the past, never had an issue with it. It also had a drain hole.

If your symptoms are engine and gearbox, not sure how the tegiwa would impact the box.

Mardgee

Advanced Member
I‘m not an expert but pretty sure if it‘s not air or fuel in there the engine goes bye bye.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Some aftermarket exhausts change tone if you submerge them in water, maybe this happened? Used to happen to my spoon b-pipe a lot..

Elliot438

I have the Tegiwa intake. From what I understand there has been no issues from any kind of water getting in there. Check the air box and filter is clean, they get clogged with flies and other debris fairly quickly, check/clean every 500 miles. Even if a bit of water got passed the filter it would just burn off

Bradley

I'm going to give it a check when I get back tonight, I could only put it down to the intake I'd heard a few things previously about intakes taking in water from puddles. Only other thing I could think of is the intake seal, if it was getting in the engine though as I'd said I'm sure it'd bog down has me baffled tbh

Bradley

Mark_teg said:
Some aftermarket exhausts change tone if you submerge them in water, maybe this happened? Used to happen to my spoon b-pipe a lot..
Could be that like possibly just getting in somewhere and effecting the noise, could just feel it when I was accelerating and almost feel it through the box too which confused me

Cennix1

The first time I experienced a "lumpy engine" in the rain I was really worried.. but then I realised I was just getting wheel spin for the first time, (a 1.1L 206 doesn't wheel spin much :xlol:) soon learned what it can take.

Rain has been hurrendous recently.. had to pull over on a dual carriageway last week due to aquaplaning as low as 20mph

Liamneale69

Like mardgee mentioned, water getting into the engine will hydro lock it and I‘m pretty sure would go bang. As other have mentioned my spoon b pipe on my ep3 in rain used to vibrate or what ever it did and sounded absolutely awful,

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
Water vapour wouldn't necessarily cause major damage to an engine, its when the filter takes a gulp of water you are risking it.

Having said that, the cotton filters are known to not be as effective at filtering out the finer particles of dirt when compared to paper or foam membranes. Forcing air through a cotton filter is likely to emphasise this so just bear that in mind when running a Tegiwa induction kit. Personally I wouldn't be too comfortable driving in torrential rain with a tegiwa fitted, drain hole or not, but each to their own.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
CW05TEG said:
Water vapour wouldn't necessarily cause major damage to an engine, its when the filter takes a gulp of water you are risking it.

Having said that, the cotton filters are known to not be as effective at filtering out the finer particles of dirt when compared to paper or foam membranes. Forcing air through a cotton filter is likely to emphasise this so just bear that in mind when running a Tegiwa induction kit. Personally I wouldn't be too comfortable driving in torrential rain with a tegiwa fitted, drain hole or not, but each to their own.
I've driven in awful rain in my DC5 with a Gruppe M, it's been fine for me mate.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Not read the above, but is the scuttle piece fixed in correctly?

I‘ve heard due to the design the airflow can affect it, as the air, bounces off the bonnet and causes turbulence effect as it tunnels down.

Just a thought