Tegiwa Wheel Nut Adapters Stuck

hondaft

Advanced Member
Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please.

I bought some tegiwa wheel nut adapters and bought some new wheel nuts. I tried them on one wheel and they stuck out too far, not having time to jack the car up and take the wheel off, I left the adapters on and put my OEM nuts back on.

I went out to the car there to take the wheel off so I could get the adapters off and I can't get the wheel off at all. I realised I put the adapters on the wrong way (the other way didn't make much sense) so yes I know I'm an idiot. I've tried hitting the wheel from the front and back with a mallet but still can't get it off :(

Any other suggestions? Or is it looking like I need to drill or chisel them?

Rom

Advanced Member
Just drive it down the road with no nuts on.

No dont :)

They have probably eaten into the wheel face a little, but shouldnt have much grip on the thread itself. They are probably off center slightly, as the conical shape centralises them, which is causing them to stick.
Id try shaking the wheel up / down left / right to see if you can get them to free at all. Id also spend more time whacking the wheel from behind, ideally with a plastic dead blow hammer, or hide hammer.
You could try shocking them free, but you can only really hit them head on, so may not help.
A sharp punch, maybe you could hit them round a little if there is enough clearance on the wheel.

I think they will come off with the correct amount of faffing around and force!

hondaft

Advanced Member
Thanks mate, I'll give that a go :) appreciate the lack of abuse too haha was expecting a fair amount of abuse for me putting them on the wrong way!

Granty1056

Advanced Member
hondaft said:
Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please.

I bought some tegiwa wheel nut adapters and bought some new wheel nuts. I tried them on one wheel and they stuck out too far, not having time to jack the car up and take the wheel off, I left the adapters on and put my OEM nuts back on.

I went out to the car there to take the wheel off so I could get the adapters off and I can't get the wheel off at all. I realised I put the adapters on the wrong way (the other way didn't make much sense) so yes I know I'm an idiot. I've tried hitting the wheel from the front and back with a mallet but still can't get it off :(

Any other suggestions? Or is it looking like I need to drill or chisel them?

Hi.

Put the nuts back on but dont tighten them up. Let the jack right down so the the tyre is firmly back on the surface. Now grip the top of the tyre with both hands. Now pull and push sideways like hell and they may crack loose.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Lol abuse comes after your fixed usually....JK

As above mate try getting a punch or thin flat head and go from rear of wheel hole and try tapping it all the way round in the hope it shifts.

Hope you get sorted mate

Gordon

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Teegwa said:
Lol abuse comes after your fixed usually....JK

As above mate try getting a punch or thin flat head and go from rear of wheel hole and try tapping it all the way round in the hope it shifts.

Hope you get sorted mate

Gordon
pretty sure you cant get to the rear of the hole as the wheel is still attached to the car ;)

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
pretty sure you cant get to the rear of the hole as the wheel is still attached to the car ;)
Oh I do apologise I missed that part I'll mind my business next time

Gordon

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
hmmm, that could be tricky,
if you have fitted the adaptors the wrong way around then fitted the original nuts, it sounds like the adaptors have deformed and are stuck in the threads of the stud,

i think hitting the back of the wheel with a deadblow hammer or lump hammer and a block of wood, rotating it as you go, make sure its on an axle stand or two.

if you are thinking of trying to drill, then two small holes a few mm apart where you can get the points of some long nose pliers in there, if you can turn the adaptor it will come off

hondaft

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate the help :) I'll give it a go again tomorrow if I get the chance.

I didn't think buying them from tegiwa would be an issue, heard good reviews and they are basically just washers. They were also the only place that sold the adapters.

Anyway, I'll give it a go tomorrow hopefully and let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

hondaft

Advanced Member
Had no luck :( going to have to take it to a garage I think, dont fancy drilling them with my luck haha!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
where do you live Hondaft ? I travel around the country fixing machinery iif its on one of my routes ill happily pop in and have a look,

my worry with a garage is they will just animal the wheel off causing damage to the wheel or studs, changing wheel studs on a dc5 is a total ball ache, you need to find a good engineer who will engineer them off.

hondaft

Advanced Member
That would be amazing mate if you are around my area! I'm from Glasgow but wouldnt mind driving an hour or so if you were in Edinburgh or that :)

Yeh thats true, my MOT is due at the start of May so the worst comes to it I will get them to have a go when its in.