Tein Coilovers - Noise

johnnyknox

Hi,

Picked up my DC5 on Saturday and I love it :)

The only thing that has been bugging me is the noise the suspension makes when going over moderate bumps.

The ride was very very firm, to the point where my foot was bouncing off of the accelerator at low speeds. I have managed to soften it a bit now but the noise remains...it's kind of a squeek/hiss whenever the shocker absorber gets compressed.

I have heard that Teins can be noisy, so is this the noise people talk about?

Thanks all

Stef

martyndc5

TEINS

the sound of the teins is awesome,the noise used to anoy me,but you get used to it
i found making the front harder stopped my foot bouncing off the throttle.
has yours got pilow ball top mounts?i had to replace the spherical bearings in the front

johnnyknox

Re: TEINS

martyndc5 said:
the sound of the teins is awesome,the noise used to anoy me,but you get used to it
i found making the front harder stopped my foot bouncing off the throttle.
has yours got pilow ball top mounts?i had to replace the spherical bearings in the front
Yes, it has the Camber Adjustable Pillowballs.

How come you replaced them...were they making a noise?

martyndc5

TEINS

the bearings were knocking,it was hard to find out what the noise was..you have to jack the car up and lever the wheel up and down with a bar,then you can hear the knock..tein recomend replacing them after 25,000 miles of use,they are nylon inside the bearing and it wears away.
i had to make a special tool to remove the bearing aswell

Project

Advanced Member
no its not that kind of noise, its more of a bouncy cushy sound, not anything harsh, you need to hear it to understand

martyndc5

TEINS

he,s right..you cant explain the noise you have to hear it for yourself!!similar noise to a boot lid gas strut but LOUDER

Chi

Normal sounds for Tein Flex.

Well for mine they did it.

And they were brand new, and they the springs were pre loaded professionally.

johnnyknox

hmmm...I dunno if I can cope...

The ride in my DC5 is just unpleasent...I don't get much enjoyment out of being bounced around all over the place at low speeds.

Can anyone recommend a setup that would give my car a nice lowered look with a reasonably comfy ride?

I don't think the tyres are helping either, they are Yokohama Advan A046. The side walls are rock solid and I think it's adding to the shock factor inside the car. (what do you think?)

Sorry if I sound like an old fart, but my mates standard DC5 just seemed so much more comfortable than mine and I would like that really but with a lowered look.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

PS..yeh, I have softened up the TEIN dampers...they are 4 clicks off of the softest setting but still too harsh.

dotty

Advanced Member
johnnyknox said:
dotty said:
Spoon springs.

:eek:
Would these need to go over the standard dampers?

(unfortunatley I don't have them, the car came with Tein Coilovers)
Yeah they would need to go over stock dampers.

Check out the classifieds section I am sure there are a set of dampers for sale (maybe even spoon springs too!!) Get a fast road set up done and you're laughing!

The spoons are great imo.

Sell on the Tein buy the spoons and you will still have change left over, Oh and more comfortable ride!!

I have them, They make the car look really great.