Temperature gauge not working

Wilbert

Hi there,

The temperature gauge of my Integra DC5 (facelift) is not working. It does not move when I turn the key over, it also does not move when I initiate the self-test of the gauge cluster, all other gauges do turn around.

Does this mean the gauge itself is broken or can it still be the wiring/sensor? Also, does anyone have experience with a broken gauge? Can it still be fixed or will I have to replace the whole cluster?

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,
Wilbert

PS: I used the search option/google but did not find a thread with the same symptoms.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
If my thinking is correct the car wouldn't enter VTEC if the ECU couldn't see the coolant temperature which would leave me to believe it's the gauge or the wiring behind it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

I had this situation a while ago and I was fortunate to find it was the plastic connector behind the instrument panel. I had to take the whole panel out, not a difficult job, pulled the connector out and pressed it back in and it worked.

Hope this might help.

Regards.

Wilbert

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think you are correct Sam. It makes sense. The car entered VTEC without any problem, I also did a test on the wiring from the sensor to the cluster, the cable is in good condition (no broken cable).

Granty can you confirm the connector that you mean is just one of the big connectors at the back of the cluster? (See the attached file) or do you mean any connector inside?

Edit: I don't see any attachment so I uploaded the image ( https://image.ibb.co/ehMuJ0/cluster.jpg )

Wilbert

I took the cluster out of the car and took it apart. It is almost impossible to take the needles off (they are glued I guess) so I just fiddled around with them and at first the needle of the temperature sensor was a little bit hard to move, it might have been stuck I don't know but now its smooth again.

After putting the cluster back I initiated the cluster-self-test and everything ran fine! Great.

Thanks for the help guys!

PS: For future reference.
Initiate cluster self test in most Honda's:
With car off, key out of contact -> turn headlight on
Press and hold trip reset button
Turn key to 2 (but do not start the engine)
Turn headlight off-on-off
Release the trip reset button and press it 5 times

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Wilbert said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think you are correct Sam. It makes sense. The car entered VTEC without any problem, I also did a test on the wiring from the sensor to the cluster, the cable is in good condition (no broken cable).

Granty can you confirm the connector that you mean is just one of the big connectors at the back of the cluster? (See the attached file) or do you mean any connector inside?

Edit: I don't see any attachment so I uploaded the image ( https://image.ibb.co/ehMuJ0/cluster.jpg )

Hi. Sorry for the late reply back. Good to see you got it sorted. If I remember rightly it was the one right side, in the pic. Just reseated it and I was lucky to get a fix. Regards.