The 2nd gear fix - MTF 3 ULTRA

TheH

Last night i met up with a guy to get some parts who is a previous owner of a dc5 and he was askin how my 2nd gear was,so i told him its the usual cold box problem and sometimes hesitating to fully engage second that we all or most of us have experienced.So then he tells he had the same problems until he switched from the MTF 3 to MTF 3 ULTRA which apparently is what Honda japan use and still do but other honda dealers just use MTF 3,he said ever since switching to ultra he never had any problems with 2nd or any gear at any revs.So if anybody here has changed to ULTRA let us know!it comes in a 4ltr tin so can be used for two oil changes.Not sure on the price of the stuff though.
Maybe dave at steels can shed some light on this or get a price from honda japan?image.jpg

DC5RS

DC5
When i was thinking of buying the mtf3, but what exactly is the problem with the second gear?

Erm

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
When i was thinking of buying the mtf3, but what exactly is the problem with the second gear?
from cold it can be a little clunky to get into 2nd gear

Benneh

Advanced Member
It works out around £25 for four litres from amazon japan, but then you'll have the shipping costs too! Haven't found much more info from my googling though!

Jones_XD

Advanced Member
I changed my gearbox oil two days ago using the mt3 fluid, its 100% better but still in mornings it can be a awkward little bugger ! :xtsk:

TheH

Benneh said:
It works out around £25 for four litres from amazon japan, but then you'll have the shipping costs too! Haven't found much more info from my googling though!
Il ask my local honda dealer tomorow if they can get it in

TheH

Jones_XD said:
I changed my gearbox oil two days ago using the mt3 fluid, its 100% better but still in mornings it can be a awkward little bugger ! :xtsk:
Yeah my car always had mtf 3 in it nutting else and 2nd has always being like that,so next time im doing the gearbox oil il be using ULTRA and il let you all known how she goes

integraleo

Advanced Member
Maybe a point if the guy you know that used ultra badly needed an oil change in the first place anyway and standard mtf 3 would have given him the same improvement? Just a possibility and I hope I'm wrong as this could be just what I need

TheH

integraleo said:
Maybe a point if the guy you know that used ultra badly needed an oil change in the first place anyway and standard mtf 3 would have given him the same improvement? Just a possibility and I hope I'm wrong as this could be just what I need
He never said how long he was using Mtf 3 but he did say he changed all the oils when he bought the car and even with fresh mtf it still had the same problem,mine was the same even after fresh mtf,im sure alot of guys are the same so its seems Mtf 3 Ultra is the answer wel just have to wait and see

TheH

So today i called into honda and asked about this 'ultra' version,he showed me a list of the oils they stock and it was indeed called MTF 3 ULTRA in 1ltr bottles,he called the warehouse and he was able to confirm that the usual MTF 3 1ltr bottles are packed in boxes of 12,the package is marked MTF 3 ULTRA but the individual bottles are MTF 3,so basically our usual MTF 3 is ULTRA!
Happy days :)

beppe786

Beppe
TheH said:
So today i called into honda and asked about this 'ultra' version,he showed me a list of the oils they stock and it was indeed called MTF 3 ULTRA in 1ltr bottles,he called the warehouse and he was able to confirm that the usual MTF 3 1ltr bottles are packed in boxes of 12,the package is marked MTF 3 ULTRA but the individual bottles are MTF 3,so basically our usual MTF 3 is ULTRA!
Happy days :)
great info