The DC5 - a dry weather car only?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've been meaning to post this for some time having now owned two of these cars.

I'm of the opinion that these cars are only dry weather cars. The reason I say this is they don't feel overly stable in wet conditions which I appreciate they wouldn't as water will affect handling and feel in any car, but the two I've had in rain both feel twitchy - does anyone else find this?

In dry on the other hand, night and day difference. I drove home Sunday in gorgeous weather and the car just inspired so much more confidence and my blue one used to feel the same (Once I'd got the handling sorted)

Am I just imaginging things here?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
If your putting RE070s on I don't think you will be getting much performance with rain? Cold? dam conditions etc. I daily drove mine mine for 5 years, and had no issues, however I drive like miss daisy in the rain.

When I took It out of daily service however, I wish id done it sooner. Driving the car in daily conditions, winter months, hard suspension and the commuting traffic, crappy speed bumps and roads etc, there's only so much you can put up with. Now using it in the dryer climate its fantastic. took it out over winter on a dry day however, and cold tyres and slippy roads do make any car feel dreadful.

It is what it is. You either put a decent all weather tyre on, or leave it as is with stickier summer tyres and enjoy it more in the dryer days. but tbh with a decent all rounder you should be able to still enjoy the warmer weather.

Or drive slower... :p we all know your all posts haha

nails

Advanced Member
Yeah I tried to run mine as a daily but couldn't in the end for various reasons so had to sell it, if I am in a position to have one as just a weekend car one day, I will get another, such great cars.

I never really enjoyed driving it in the rain, but as Jimmer said, I drove mine very carefully in the wet.

ste01

Advanced Member
Same as any other car in my experience. Just change driving style to the conditions and you don't have any problems

Mattz

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Same as any other car in my experience. Just change driving style to the conditions and you don't have any problems
Exactly this. The only 'problem' I get in very heavy rain is the exhaust making a funny noise :xgrin:

I've got sport contact 5's on at the moment and the few times I've driven in the wet I haven't had any issues.

spooke

Advanced Member
Driving in heavy rain on AD08R's (or similar) is a little worrying but I've never felt like I was going to lose control. As above just slow down to a more reasonable speed for the conditions and it's fine, the difference is of course huge - unless you get a tyre that is more suited to the rain such as the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I think it's a combo of things as said above.

These aren't really made for being a daily in all conditions and road surfaces. I find in wet conditions the car is slidy, it feels kind of stable it doesn't feel totally unstable but it doesn't inspire confidence.

In dry weather it feels a hundred times more planted and grippy, mine is going to feel even worse in the wet now with the RE070's haha!

I don't drive quick in the wet btw, I am quite sensible believe it or not.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Sounds like you should have bought a 4wd or a tank lol. Can't say it feels any worse than any other car I've driven in bad conditions

BataLeon

Advanced Member
Obviously they will be better in the dry but I went and had a right laugh in the wet the other night.

Cennix1

I rarely ever push it in the rain, but I do have decent tyres for it and I did give it a try once on good roads I was comfortable with and it was actually quite good. I lost a bit of time in the power band considering the extra time needed for acceleration/braking. Perhaps that affects the DC5 more because they have to rev so high but after years of practice maybe it wouldn't make so much difference now.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Not a fan of them you know bud, I've had them on a couple of cars before and I really didn't gel with them.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
I've driven combe in a downpour with 2.5mm ad08s and didn't think it felt unstable. Obviously not ideal but not scary. I'd be looking at your setup

spooke

Advanced Member
Of course you can get the car to understeer or oversteer in the rain but unless the road is flooded or greasy you should never experience it being slidy when driving to the conditions. I drive mine daily in every conditions on AD08R's and never had problem, even in the snow.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
I've driven combe in a downpour with 2.5mm ad08s and didn't think it felt unstable. Obviously not ideal but not scary. I'd be looking at your setup
It's getting an FRSU on Friday and the new RE070's are on as of this morning so I should see some improvement.

I think the best way I can describe it is that the car feels greasy to drive, as though the road is oily which as a result means the car/handling feels slippy.

ste01

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
It's getting an FRSU on Friday and the new RE070's are on as of this morning so I should see some improvement.

I think the best way I can describe it is that the car feels greasy to drive, as though the road is oily which as a result means the car/handling feels slippy.
The roads probably are oily and greasy :)

IntegraCraig

I use mine daily and have been through sun, rain and even a thick layer of snow (I‘ll admit that was challenging).
Definitely better in the dry but I‘ve just ordered Rainsport 3s yesterday and I‘m going in to see about having the suspension sorted to better suit what I‘m after.

Its just one of those things, I bought it knowing I would tweak things to suit what I‘m using it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p1tse

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

Hopefully new tyres would help, but generally does the car feel fine on normal turning and cruising speed?

Mardgee

Advanced Member
When I bought my car the importer put T1R's on and it wasn't the best in the wet. The Pilot Sport 4's i replaced them are very good and progressive in the wet & transformed it.