The dreaded - 'What's it worth...?' thread

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Evening guys,

I'm sorry if this is against forum rules, and if it is - please feel to remove if necessary. I really wasn't sure where to post it...

I absolutely love my ITR, its my pride and joy - however i recently have been considering selling up. Its a thought I've shrugged off several times, gave my head a wobble and thought, what am i even thinking? ..But never the less, its a thought that keeps coming back.

This isn't a for sale post - intact far from as its not something I'm prepared to jump straight in to, but searching the net for something id be happy to replace my ITR with is proving hard as i honestly don't know the value of what id get in return for selling my DC5.

I am therefore hoping a couple of you guys wouldn't mind reading over the spec and details of my car - and giving me a rough evaluation of what you think the market value would be?

Its a 2001 Pre-facelift Championship White ITR DC5 - C Pack.
I purchased the car completely stock nearly two years ago, however it had previously been cared for by enthusiast before myself ( i am the 2nd UK owner) which is supported by the extensive service history i have - and continued to add too in a ring binder folder.

The Mileage is showing 166,000 - which is mix of KM & Miles - From reading the documents i have, i have worked it out to roughly late 90's - 100,000 Uk miles - which I'm sure you'l agree is nothing for one of these - especially with the regular and extensive maintenance this car has had.

MOT is due in January, however i would be happy to put a fresh 12 months MOT on if i decided to sell up beforehand.

The car is serviced at a maximum of every 6 months - using genuine Honda oil filters & washers, and Shell Helix 5w40 oil as a minimum.

Now, since purchasing the car nearly 24 months ago, i have carried out some very tasteful modifications that in my opinion have improved the way it initially left the factory upon production. I have receipts for almost everything also.

Engine:

It has the original K20A 2.0LTR engine - last serviced 500 miles ago.
Rocker cover professionally refurbished in a colour coded Championship White.
Tegiwa red dress up rocker cover washers and domed nuts.
Tegiwa Carbon fibre plug cover.
Tegiwa Carbon fibre intake & scoop.
SFS Red intake hose.
Gruppe M scuttle pannel.
Professionally smoothed and painted in gloss black RBC intake manifold - with genuine Honda RBC fitting hoses.
Tegiwa throttle body adaptor painted in gloss black.
Tegiwa thermal gaskets used throughout - & all hardware replaced in favour for new stainless steel items.
Avid 95A Solid upper engine & gearbox mounts.
Spoon N1 Rear silencer, mated to a Spoon B pipe.
Energy Suspension lower polybushed engine mount inserts.
Black painted fuel rail.
Skunk2 oil filler cap.
Carbon fibre dress up covers - complemented by red dress up bolts throughout.
NRG Polished bonnet dampers.
Battery replaced with a new Yuasa one - 3 year warranty & PWJDM battery tie.

Gearbox:

Standard 6 speed transmission, with factory LSD.
Gearbox oil replaced last week using genuine Honda MTF-3 oil.
Exedy OEM clutch replaced 25k ago.

Suspension:

OEM Suspension struts - with Tein 30mm springs.
Buddyclub roll centre adjuster balljoints.
Energy Suspension poly bushed wishbones.

Braking:

Standard Brembo 4 pot front calipers.
Genuine Honda front discs.
Brand New ( will be fitted this weekend ) Ferodo DS2500 front brake pads.
Rear brand new Blueprint OEM Discs & pads.
Rear calipers & carriers recently refurbished, with new boots and seals.
AP Racing Blue brake fluid.
Goodridge braided brake hoses.

Wheels & Tyres:

Rota Fighters - 17x8 ET45 wheels in bronze.
Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tyres - all with 5-6mm+ tread remaining.

Exterior & Body:

Mugen style carbon fibre rear spoiler.
Integra & Type R bades removed on the rear.
Completely undersealed upon import into the UK.
8k HIDs with LED bulbs in the sidelights / number plate lamps etc.
Gran Turismo Front sunstrip.
Smoothed front bumper.
Climair smoked wind deflectors.
Genuine Honda Jazz washer jets.

Interior:

Stock Black Recaro's with new Capital Seating bolster foams.
Capital Seating red tailored seat covers.
Steering wheel re-trimmed in black suede with red stitching.
Genuine Honda parcel shelf.
Red ITR floor mats
Pioneer SPH DA120 App radio headunit.
Carbon fibre Mugen gearknob.
JDM Flare.
All interior bulbs replaced with LED replacements.
Recent A/C regas and oil replaced.

There maybe a lot more that i have forgotten, but that is the general specification of my car. I know prices at the moment are kind of everywhere, and thats why its proving difficult for me to value it - never mind being fully aware you don't get full modification money back.

Like i said, my heads massively up in the clouds at the moment, and its not something I'm going to decide over night...but having a rough figure from what you guys think it would be worth would be a massive help. In my head, id like to see £8,500 back for it as a minimum- but is this realistic?

Thank you for giving up your time to read my massively confusing post,

Ross.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Looks a very tidy example mate and from what I've seen you really have looked after it.

From what I've seen over the last few months, a lot of people seem to get most of their money back by selling off the modifications. You'd get a fair chunk back off your wheels, spoiler, inlet manifold, induction and exhaust mate. Then still get good money for the standard example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Thanks Kenz - i surly have tried to keep it the best i can!

That was a thought that crossed my mind, but having parted with a lot of the OEM parts, would like to - if i decided too, sell it as it is.
It is an option though, as everything is relatively easy to revert back to OEM as you said..I guess i would have to cross that bridge if and when it came to it!

Ross

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
This time of the year is not a good time to sell a DC5, since summer ended I have seen about 7-10 dc5 for sale.

Fez

Advanced Member
As Kenz said, back to stock and sell all the bits off would deffo see you better off for money.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
linh-dc5 said:
This time of the year is not a good time to sell a DC5, since summer ended I have seen about 7-10 dc5 for sale.
Really? ...No way!
Its not something I'm going to jump into - unless someone came at the right time with an offer i couldn't refuse, but it would more than likely be after Christmas / early spring id be looking at realistically parting with it if thats what i eventually decided.

Fez said:
As Kenz said, back to stock and sell all the bits off would deffo see you better off for money.
That would be the sensible idea i guess, and i guess would get me the most money back.
Id like to see it go as it stands ideally though - you never know quite where you stand with second hand parts really do you, within reason.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Defo get the mods sold seperatly, just bought my first DC5, with coilovers, exhaust, induction kit and a couple of other little mods. Cost me £6700 granted not as clean as yours. Get the mods sold over winter while people are getting there cars ready for next summer, and sell a nice cleam OEM spec car ready for someone to enjoy over the summer. :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Under £7k as a standard car I'd say, so definitely strip the mods if you want the maximum return.

What some sellers don't seem to realise is DC5's change hands quite often without ever being listed for sale, for a lot less than the asking prices of current ones for sale.

I paid sub £5k for mine, CW with red interior, 2001 with 68k miles, with RBC, Gruppe M, KPro, DC manifold & cat back, Eibach springs and a load of standard parts. Sure it needed some TLC (I'd estimate it was £1200-1500 to fix it up), but that gives you an idea as to what's available if you look hard enough.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Yeah, I did see your thread Chris - looks like you were in the right place at the right time and snatched a bargain!

I'll be honest, 7K as a standard car or £8,500 as it stands would roughly be about right then in my estimates. £1,500+ would be easily achievable in selling the modifications off separately.

Now to decide what to do.

Regardless, I would advertise it at £8,500 firm as it stood initially - and then drop the price accordingly without the modifications if there were no interest.

Ross

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
What you have to bear in mind, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is that it's still £8500 for a 15 year old car with high mileage. When you look at the market at the type of cars you can buy with that sort of money then it doesn't look that good in terms of VFM.

I may have been in the right place etc, but a mate picked up a Teg for less than £5700 which also had a bucket load of modifications on and reasonable mileage.

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm just trying to be realistic.

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
What you have to bear in mind, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is that it's still £8500 for a 15 year old car with high mileage. When you look at the market at the type of cars you can buy with that sort of money then it doesn't look that good in terms of VFM.

I may have been in the right place etc, but a mate picked up a Teg for less than £5700 which also had a bucket load of modifications on and reasonable mileage.

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm just trying to be realistic.
Yet so many seem to sell for more? I think you and your mate got a bargain as plenty of them have sold on here over the last couple months for well more than 7. It's all about condition and yours was a bargain for a 'track slut' not a show piece?

If people are desperate to sell they often drop the price very low, and also it seems to depend on location as they sell a lot cheaper up north.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Fully appreciate what your saying.
Another thing to note though is - yes it's a 15 year old car, and you can get an awful lot of other cars for the money.. however dc5's aren't your every day car, and are only going to appeal to an audience who know what they are - generally enthusiasts, who are willing to pay the premium for a good example.
It's one of those, it's catch 22.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Just because joe bloggs paid £5,000 for his, doesn't mean that's what the current market value is, and deffinately doesn't mean that's what I'll be happy to accept for mine.

Ross

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
No not a show piece but then I don't want an OEM car or one to park up at Mimms. £500 more for a bit of paint and some other bits and my car would be at that standard, give me some semi slicks instead though so I can use the car what it's meant for. :p

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
No not a show piece but then I don't want an OEM car or one to park up at Mimms. £500 more for a bit of paint and some other bits and my car would be at that standard, give me some semi slicks instead though so I can use the car what it's meant for. :p
True that! I think its all about what people want, I could of bought one for a lot less when I got mine but I wanted one that didn't need much doing, some people want the finished article, and some people want a race horse! But when it comes to rages, from what I have seen, it may take a while to sell, but someone will want a tastefull clean example soon enough and with the mods I think the price is fare, just gotta be willing to wait for the right buyer😊

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Oh and the grand turismo Sun strip is definitely worth an extra couple g's 😁

MrRy

Advanced Member
As it stands, if I was looking at it, if it doesn't use oil, has no arch rust and the paintwork is blemish free for that spec with the only negative being black Recaro's over red (personal preference of most it seems) and the uncertain mileage / when it was imported, I'd get a good buy at 6.8k / 7.2k, and a good sell at 7.5k / 8k.

Don't undervalue these cars, nothing beats them as a car in the "anything up to 10k" category - in my eyes at least, unless you look at ready-built but older turbocharged honda's, k20 supercharged honda's or very modified alternatives.

Rage_DC5

Advanced Member
Your right mate.

I think I'm going to swap the mounts out for OEM alternatives and see how I feel then... they completely changed the car in all fairness...

Linus27

Advanced Member
Your car is similar to mine but I have red interior, black OEM wheels with about 30km less mileage. It looks like the condition of your car is slightly better although mine is not bad. If I sell which I am thinking of doing, I would take it back to standard pretty much and put it up for £6500 and aim to get anything close but certainly not less than £6000.

As Chris has said, it is a niche market and looking at what other cars you can get for around £6000 - £7000, then the competition is quite stiff. Unless you know the DC5 and have driven one then on paper, a lot of other cars seem more appealing.