The End of The Model Report? A New Begining in Jap Imports!

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Just off to talk to our SVA/IVA Test Station about this but this is potentially exciting news.

Immediate Effect for the Honda Market will be -

- 2006/07 Honda Integra Dc5's will be available for import (currently no MR)

- 2007> FD2's will be challenged by the new law that cars Must have a Dual k/mh and M/ph Speedo - As we know the FD2 has a Digital Display so this looks impossible at the moment.

lots of other changes with the New IVA rules but things are still up in the Air, i will post more info as i receive it later today

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaz_Ek4

Advanced Member
Excellent news, Im sure its a breath of fresh air for yourselves as all that model report nonsense is such a nightmare to adhere to. :)

Martin_DC5

what about mods? will it become easier to import cars with little mods like exhausts?

model reports are a load of shit anyway, there are certain importers out there bringing in cars which require model reports and they're nothing like the original car.

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Whoo it means that it will be possible to bring in the Accord Euro R (CL7).

I love these cars. :D

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Can someone translate this into english? :lol: What does it mean, cars will be cheaper to import?

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
No it means that you will be able to import cars that dont have a model report.

It is quite costly to create a model report. So if there is not going to be a big market in the UK for a particular car it is not worth getting one made.

Correct me if i am wrong???

Cheers

DanSwift1988

Advanced Member
That sounds friggin awesome!! Can anyone shortlist some cool cars like that Accord that will now be available?

Torque-GT

Andy, sorry to hijack. This is what we've received so far:

From the Department of Transport:

Under M1 IVA from 29 April 2009, for all passenger cars under 10 years old, VOSA will accept the Japanese noise standard as being comparable with the European one. For used vehicles which have been registered in Japan for at least 6 months, VOSA will also accept the Japanese Emissions standards as being comparable with European ones. Newer vehicles will, as at present, have to provide Model Reports for Emissions or other evidence of compliance with European Emissions standards.

Vehicles which have been modified in ways that might degrade performance in either noise or emissions may not be accepted via this route. For example, the addition of an aftermarket sports exhaust would mean that for Noise, the vehicle will not be accepted without evidence of compliance of the modified vehicle.

In the case of Emissions, acceptable proof that the vehicle has been registered in Japan for at least 6 months duration will be required, which is likely to be the Japanese de-registration document.

The fine details of operational procedure will be contained in publicity material issued by VOSA. The situation regarding CO2 values and vehicle excise duty is still under discussion.

Rationale for changes

1. Noise.

Investigations have revealed that the current Japanese noise standards for cars are very close to the European standards. Similar test procedures are used.
Conclusion – Japanese noise standards should be accepted as Comparable for all M1 vehicles coming through IVA.

2. Emissions.

Investigations have taken place into the Japanese Light Duty emissions standards versus the European ones. Direct comparisons between the European and Japanese emissions limits are not possible due to differences in the applicable test cycles, in the approval processes and in some of the other related requirements (e.g. durability, OBD, etc.). In the view of experts, the current Japanese light duty emissions requirements (Japan 2005) are considered to be slightly less stringent than those of Euro 4. The future Japanese light duty emissions requirements (Japan 2009) are considered to be slightly less stringent than those of Euro 5.

The following factors have contributed to this decision:

1. The general government policy to reduce the administrative burden on industry.
2. European obligations to ensure that new vehicles comply with European Directives, particularly in the environmental area.
3. Possible future European Harmonized IVA would be applicable to vehicles that have been registered outside the EU for less than 6 months.
4. The low volumes of vehicles coming through SVA, even before the current economic situation/credit crisis took hold.

Conclusion – Vehicles which are “new” (interpreted as:- vehicles which are unregistered or have been registered for 6 months or less) will only be accepted with evidence of compliance with EC Directive standards (as at present). All other relevant vehicles (i.e. those which have been registered for at least 6 months) will be accepted with evidence of compliance with Japanese emissions standards.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
The way I read that on emissions, if it's been registered for 6 months+ in Japan, it's accepted as meeting emissions standards! :shock:

I don't know what the rules are in Japan on emissions, do they have a similar MOT test for it? I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as you can prove the registration in Japan.

There will be a lot of Skyline/R35 buyers pleased about that! :D