The modification list begins. Any advice welcome

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Well my Supra will be for sale at the weekend and as soon as that has gone and Vicki has her sensible mum car, I will have the DC5. So obviously I want to make it a bit more mine, and so I have begun to look into future modifications. Some will happen straight away and some will have to wait for available funds.

The RM01A will definately come off as I want something louder. I will wait to hear what the 5Zigen fireball is like as a friend of mine should have his DC5 (with this exhaust on) in December, courtesy of Andy. The one that I really like aftet watching the streetfire video is the J's Racing 70RR but I am slightly worried that it might be too loud. Also is this a CAT back system or does it get rid of this and require further modifications to the car?
Other options are one of the Buddy Club systems as they have always been good on my brothers cars.

After speaking with TGM today, I will definately be changing to Eibach springs and getting the fast road setup. Will also probably get a B&M short shift as well.

Will probably one day go the route of the K Pro and change the manifold etc.

Have started to look into throttle body's and the difference's in cost performance of ITB's and say the J's racing one. Need to do more research here and would like to hear peoples input with reagrds to these.

Im liking the look of the Weds SA90 wheels as well.

Thats about it apart from some after market body parts, but nothing major. Maybe a spoiler change and CF bonnet. Depends whether I really go for the JDM look or not. Loving the look of the Ings bonnet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The most important things to me about the DC5 is its handling, sound and looks. Obviously straight line speed is not going to get anywhere near that of my current Supra, so im not going to worry about trying to replicate that.

Thanks

Mark

Evs

Advanced Member
Exhausts are a matter of personal taste - I personally like the RM01a but if you want something louder then that's up to you. The J's one replaces the cat I think and has very little silencing. Some of the Buddyclub ones hang quite low and this may be a problem if you're lowering the car.

Springs and setup are a good mod, can't fault that at all 8)

Wheels, again, personal taste but check the offset on the Weds ones as AFAIK they don't make them with high offset, anything less than 45 is going to get marginal for clearance. OEM is ET60.

ITBs are still a bit experimental on the K20 - I'd do the exhaust manifold and ECU first, if you want induction noise then try a GruppeM.

HTH?

timp

Advanced Member
so you want it loud but not too loud? whats too loud, too loud for the track of too loud for the car park?

The rmo1a is great exhaust obviously if you change the header its gonna change the exhaust note!

the 70rr is cat back according to the sumo power ebay store, expensive piece of kit but would sound great me thinks :D

MrHanky

Advanced Member
timp said:
so you want it loud but not too loud? whats too loud, too loud for the track of too loud for the car park?

The rmo1a is great exhaust obviously if you change the header its gonna change the exhaust note!

the 70rr is cat back according to the sumo power ebay store, expensive piece of kit but would sound great me thinks :D
Good point, I had forgotten about the change in note when swapping the header. My Supra is loud but in a totally different way. I had a skunk 2 system on my EP3 years ago and I loved the sound of that. Any idea on how that stacks up against the 70RR (i.e. much quieter etc)?
Fortunately my neighbours don't mind the noise from my Supra but I would hate to start annoying them by going over the top with something on the DC5. Too loud for the neighborhood is my main concern.

Thanks

Mark

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the 70rr is very loud, you will not get on any trackday with it.

NZITR

Advanced Member
Mugen front strut brace made a much larger difference than I expected. Front A arm bushings are good also if a pain to fit.

Stevieg

Advanced Member
MrHanky said:
timp said:

Good point, I had forgotten about the change in note when swapping the header. My Supra is loud but in a totally different way. I had a skunk 2 system on my EP3 years ago and I loved the sound of that. Any idea on how that stacks up against the 70RR (i.e. much quieter etc)?
Fortunately my neighbours don't mind the noise from my Supra but I would hate to start annoying them by going over the top with something on the DC5. Too loud for the neighborhood is my main concern.

Thanks

Mark
Mark,

I have the rm01a and a Toda header and it did make it a bit louder adding the header but not a massive difference as some people make out. I guess like everyone told me - if you get a loud exhaust then change the header the car will be mega loud. The DC5 exhaust range is odd - there seems to be no middle ground it's either very quiet or very loud and nothing in between.

Like everyone says the handling and brake mods are great, but the K-pro does make a big difference. You get alot more mid range power and it makes a car that is lacking go low down easier to use. Plus you are making the most of any power mods you added and the car is mapped to UK fuel.

HAHA once you have had a big power turbo motor i think its hard to get used to the lack of low down grunt - I think im going for cams and stick on an RBC inlet manifold next! I dont want to go for a SC - the whole point of me getting the car was to have relatively lower running cost compared to my Evo so na all the way and I dont belive this car with the high compression would be totally reliable - plus its front wheel drive - hmmm 300bhp through the front wheels...... :?

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Stevieg said:
Mark,

I have the rm01a and a Toda header and it did make it a bit louder adding the header but not a massive difference as some people make out. I guess like everyone told me - if you get a loud exhaust then change the header the car will be mega loud. The DC5 exhaust range is odd - there seems to be no middle ground it's either very quiet or very loud and nothing in between.

Like everyone says the handling and brake mods are great, but the K-pro does make a big difference. You get alot more mid range power and it makes a car that is lacking go low down easier to use. Plus you are making the most of any power mods you added and the car is mapped to UK fuel.

HAHA once you have had a big power turbo motor i think its hard to get used to the lack of low down grunt - I think im going for cams and stick on an RBC inlet manifold next! I dont want to go for a SC - the whole point of me getting the car was to have relatively lower running cost compared to my Evo so na all the way and I dont belive this car with the high compression would be totally reliable - plus its front wheel drive - hmmm 300bhp through the front wheels...... :?
Thanks for the input. Now you mention it, you are quite right about the lack of middle ground with regards to exhaust loudness. I will continue to think about that and have a listen to a few other ones before making a decision. I will definately be going with the fast road setup and change of springs.

Anyone on here got a shortshifter? If so is it still as easy to drive once it is on? Just wondered as Vicki will still drive the car and does not want it to be awkward.

Do you still have an Evo or was that the previous car? Wouldn't mind going for one myself in a few years as it does pretty much everything, apart from provide you with low running costs :)

Thanks again all

Mark

JDC5

Charged DC5
I agree.. fast road set-up and springs are a good first mod to get as it pretty much chances how the car drives...

i've got the buddyclub shortshift, but havent put it on the car yet as my car is stil being repaired, but i tired it on my cousins car, it feels alot better, does what it says on the box really.. and having it on would make things awkward, just makes it shorter...lol

with regards to alloys, i'll say stick to 17" if you want handling and performance as 18" is really for show..lol

i think improved brakes would be a next step...

JD

Stevieg

Advanced Member
MrHanky said:
Thanks for the input. Now you mention it, you are quite right about the lack of middle ground with regards to exhaust loudness. I will continue to think about that and have a listen to a few other ones before making a decision. I will definately be going with the fast road setup and change of springs.

Anyone on here got a shortshifter? If so is it still as easy to drive once it is on? Just wondered as Vicki will still drive the car and does not want it to be awkward.

Do you still have an Evo or was that the previous car? Wouldn't mind going for one myself in a few years as it does pretty much everything, apart from provide you with low running costs :)

Thanks again all

Mark
Yeah it would be good if there were any meets you could go to to have a listen. That infamous exhaust video clip that’s banded about on here isn’t that great and a lot of them sound totally different in the metal.

I have a B & M short shift. I got it after driving Jonsters car and was sold instantly - feels much better - more positive changers and an even shorter throw. Just be carefully when you 1st get one - the gears are so close - would be easy to mis shift. Also I was told not to shift to hard as you wear out the syncros.

Yeah I’ve had a couple of Evos. Though my last one (which was my previous car) was a bit of a beast. I loved it - they are awesome cars - excellent power AND handling, but like yourself it had to go due to the running costs. The DC5 is a good compromise though but, as per normal with my cars i got the modding bug (well i never lost it) and modded it mine quite a bit....

MrHanky

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
with regards to alloys, i'll say stick to 17" if you want handling and performance as 18" is really for show..lol

i think improved brakes would be a next step...

JD
Yer, im definately sticking with 17" wheels. I really like the Weds SA90's but they only go to a 43 offset. I like some of the time attack style wheels but they seem to be getting more and more popular and would thus make them a bit too common for my liking (I know I sound like a snob :) )

I might look for a BBS LM type of wheel as that is what is on my Supra at the minute and they are still my favourite wheels.

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Stevieg said:
Yeah it would be good if there were any meets you could go to to have a listen. That infamous exhaust video clip that’s banded about on here isn’t that great and a lot of them sound totally different in the metal.

I have a B & M short shift. I got it after driving Jonsters car and was sold instantly - feels much better - more positive changers and an even shorter throw. Just be carefully when you 1st get one - the gears are so close - would be easy to mis shift. Also I was told not to shift to hard as you wear out the syncros.

Yeah I’ve had a couple of Evos. Though my last one (which was my previous car) was a bit of a beast. I loved it - they are awesome cars - excellent power AND handling, but like yourself it had to go due to the running costs. The DC5 is a good compromise though but, as per normal with my cars i got the modding bug (well i never lost it) and modded it mine quite a bit....
It certainly will be nice to not have to spend £200 a month on fuel, only to do 620 - 660 miles with it :)
Thats the short shift I am thinking of to be honest, we will have to see if I go for t or not. I can't do anything for the minute anyway as I still have to sell the Supra. Its up for sale but I doubt it will sell during the run up to christmas.

Thanks

Mark

salamanzer

Ummm in terms of exhaust my 5zigen sounds really nice without being too loud - at full chat it sounds like a 1000cc motorbike and has been confused for one a few times :D (until i come into view of course).

As for the rims stick with 17" they look a good size on the car without being too detrimental to the performance.

dan the man

Advanced Member
Geometry and springs great mod. one of the best. Set of paul Gs brake discs seem to be AN IDEAL mod too.

Lighter wheels and brakes will probably do just as much as a header or more imo...

timp

Advanced Member
what about getting into another members car and see listerning and trying what they have, always the best way.

Where in the country are you??

phil r

Advanced Member
the modification list begins any advice needed

5ziegon on full chat ," handsome" :D :wink:

DC5TU

Advanced Member
My apexi hayabusa is quite nice noise.

not toooo loud but not quiet. had the cat put back on on sat and the noise is gorgeous now.